Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

How often do you check your Amazon cart for price changes?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 03-03-12, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 671 Likes on 554 Posts

How often do you check and is it like the stock market where you constantly check if items go up or down in price?

When do you consider buying something you might have stored in your cart back since 2008?

Old 03-03-12, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 344 Likes on 225 Posts
Re: How often do you check your Amazon cart for price changes?

Never.

I've used the camelcamelcamel.com site to track a few things. Get an e-mail when the price drops to the point I'm interested in.
Old 03-03-12, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I don't think I've ever actually kept something in my cart. Usually I think about something and decide to purchase it. Not much waiting here,lol.
Old 03-03-12, 06:47 PM
Premium Member

Received 656 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
Never.

I've used the camelcamelcamel.com site to track a few things. Get an e-mail when the price drops to the point I'm interested in.
Same here.
Old 03-04-12, 04:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 671 Likes on 554 Posts

I waited until the Ben-Hur blu ray set dropped to $28.99 after going from $45.99 to $46.99 to $42.99.
Old 03-04-12, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never keep items in my cart, but usually have 1,000-1,300 items in my various Wish Lists. My interest level on those varies from "highly wanted" to "only if it gets really cheap or I need filler".

Amazon now has a tracker that sort of helps in keeping track of price changes and of course there are sites like camelcamelcamel but they're not 100% accurate ime.

So for years I've just left a simple formula in the comments section of each Wish List entry that shows me the MSRP, the lowest ever percentage discount and the lowest ever price. Example: $19.93 - 45% = $10.99. If I feel like $10.99 is worth it to me then I'll buy it at that price, or wait for it to get that low again. If not, then I'll ignore the item until it goes lower.

This system took a little time to set-up (though copy & paste helped a lot), but it helps me to avoid forgetting about things and I can avoid scrolling through their various sales because my wish lists only contain items that I know I have some interest in. There are items that I've waited on for 5 years that have never gotten so low as I would buy them for, but I have many many times bought things when they were 65% - 90% off and it's a great feeling to know that you're buying at the lowest price Amazon has had something in 3-5 years or more.

I try to check my lists (at least the most important ones) once a day right after midnight PST when the prices most often change. There are times I don't get to it, but I had one really bad experience that makes me at least try to do that check. A couple of years back I had checked many of my lists, but not yet my Graphic Novels when my mother called and really needed my help with her printer. I went over, helped her out, came back and didn't log back onto Amazon. I didn't go online again until later in the afternoon, at which point I found out that they had a massive input error from the distributor of many Graphic Novels and there were prices that were 88% off and then 94% off of lots of $100 books as well as ($50, $30, etc). I could have saved sooooo many hundreds of dollars (probably a couple thousand) if only I had checked on that wish list before going over to my mother's or checking it when I came back. A sale like that will probably never happen again, but I definitely learned my lesson about how important it is to check every day.
Old 03-04-12, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 126 Likes on 103 Posts

I keep a lot of things in the "Save for Later" category.... I log into there about once every day or two.. and usually get a message that some stuff went up or down.. If there are items that drop below my threshold.. then I bite.. otherwise.. it just stays.. for later...
Old 03-05-12, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Never.

If I want it I buy it
Old 03-05-12, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've gotten some great deals by putting things in my cart that i'm interested in but not ready to buy. I put a case of sports trading cards, 16 boxes to a case, and one day the price dropped to $10 per case. I bought 2 cases and sold the 32 individual boxes for $10 each on Ebay. Now the same cases are selling for $149.95 but I keep them in my cart just in case the price drops again.
Old 03-05-12, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 101 Likes on 63 Posts

Never!
Old 03-05-12, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 969 Likes on 803 Posts

I keep items in my cart but don't check back unless I'm actually making a purchase of something else
Old 03-05-12, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 344 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by JCWBobC
I put a case of sports trading cards, 16 boxes to a case, and one day the price dropped to $10 per case. I bought 2 cases and sold the 32 individual boxes for $10 each on Ebay. Now the same cases are selling for $149.95 but I keep them in my cart just in case the price drops again.
I missed the thread on this deal, otherwise I would have been all over it.

You didn't necessarily answer the question in the OP. What you've described sounds like a price mistake and one that wouldn't last very long. I imagine you were checking your cart pretty frequently in order to catch the price being that low.
Old 03-08-12, 06:07 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 640 Likes on 427 Posts

Every morning.
Old 03-08-12, 06:51 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 363 Likes on 246 Posts

I have 32 items in my cart saved for later, check them daily to see if any have miraculously lowered in price to my comfort level. Makes me mad when something goes down $2, then back up $2, then down $2, back up 2$, especially when down $2 isn't nearly enough to make a sale.

Poltergeist: The Legacy, Season 2 keeps going from $59.99 down to $52.99 then back up to $59.99 (etc., etc., etc.), when it shouldn't even be half that... -kd5-
Old 03-09-12, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kd5
I have 32 items in my cart saved for later, check them daily to see if any have miraculously lowered in price to my comfort level. Makes me mad when something goes down $2, then back up $2, then down $2, back up 2$, especially when down $2 isn't nearly enough to make a sale.

Poltergeist: The Legacy, Season 2 keeps going from $59.99 down to $52.99 then back up to $59.99 (etc., etc., etc.), when it shouldn't even be half that... -kd5-
Have you thought about setting up a price alert at someplace like www.camelcamelcamel.com ?

Then you get an email or tweet when the price meets or beats what you set.
Old 03-09-12, 03:38 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 363 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
Have you thought about setting up a price alert at someplace like www.camelcamelcamel.com ?

Then you get an email or tweet when the price meets or beats what you set.
Nah, it's actually part of my daily routine to stop by my Amazon cart, that way I get to see what's gone up and what's gone down and it gives me something to bitch about... -kd5-
Old 03-09-12, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just about every day.
Old 03-09-12, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Never. I don't keep things in my cart for later.
Old 03-11-12, 08:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've noticed that stuff I've added to my cart or Save for Later list from Marketplace Sellers decreases usually every day, but just by just pennies. I think it must be worked into some Marketplace Seller algorithm to try and entice me to buy something now because look, its two cents cheaper today! It usually only increases in price if say, the same item from someone different sold, and now the supply/demand has shifted. Prices decrease significantly too if someone tries to sell the same item for cheaper. But nothing is a given. Sometimes things just seem to hit a floor price and they won't go lower.
Old 03-13-12, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 565 Likes on 412 Posts

I don't have anything in the cart but have lots in the saved for later.

I check it three to four times a day.
Old 03-16-12, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a bunch of stuff in my saved for later sections on both the US and UK site. I check them both about once a day.
Old 03-16-12, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just keep a bunch of stuff in my Wish Lists. Check that daily.

James
Old 03-16-12, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by kd5

I don't check my "saved for later" that much, but I have noticed that prices tend to go like your Poltergeist Legacy S2 set example, up a little, then back down, then up again.
Old 03-19-12, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 244 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Pizza
Just about every day.
Same here. Amazon is always monkeying with prices either up or down.