Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Disputing Amazon Trade-In Condition?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Disputing Amazon Trade-In Condition?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-12, 05:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Disputing Amazon Trade-In Condition?

Got my two DVDs back in the mail today and it turns out they rejected them citing "major scratches" because the discs are loose in the case (not this way when I sent them and they were packaged tightly). While part of me is glad they didn't open them and THEN reject them, they've probably scratched them to hell by sending them back.
Old 02-15-12, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

I just got one back like that. Fully sealed with the security sticker, but somehow it got loose. So they sent it back. Whatever. No big loss.
Old 02-16-12, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadToPerdition
Got my two DVDs back in the mail today and it turns out they rejected them citing "major scratches" because the discs are loose in the case (not this way when I sent them and they were packaged tightly). While part of me is glad they didn't open them and THEN reject them, they've probably scratched them to hell by sending them back.
That's funny because a while back Amazon seemed to get pissy about people sending back floaters. They used to have a disclaimer on certain pages about how some discs may arrive loose in multi-disc sets, and not to send them back before playing them.
Old 05-18-12, 04:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, I sent in another trade-in of only factory-sealed DVDs and they downgraded every single one of them to "like new." I had been selecting the "return item to me" option if they downgrade, but I also included an old cell phone in this order and didn't care if they downgraded so I figured I'd just use the "pay me the lesser amount" option. Apparently, that was a huge mistake. They paid me about half of what they should've. This is pretty unbelievable.
Old 05-20-12, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Anyone suspect Amazon is reselling these as "New"? I've picked up a couple titles that were part of the recent birthday sale and one was obviously re-shrink wrapped and the other I got the Canadian version (Warners' movie, so the disc was fine but the slip cover was in English AND French).

The Blu-rays themselves were fine, and since I paid under $10 per movie, I didn't bother complaining...but it makes me wonder.
Old 05-20-12, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Anyone suspect Amazon is reselling these as "New"? I've picked up a couple titles that were part of the recent birthday sale and one was obviously re-shrink wrapped and the other I got the Canadian version (Warners' movie, so the disc was fine but the slip cover was in English AND French).
Did you actually buy the Canadian DVD from Amazon, or from a third party seller being fulfilled by Amazon? Sometimes, if you place an order from the Amazon product page it will be by default from an third party seller even though it's fulfilled by Amazon.

As far as Amazon reselling stuff they're buying back from their customers, I don't know. I'm still curious about what they're doing with this stuff. It seems sort of odd that Amazon is buying things for Amazon credit, and then reselling things to a third-party seller? Is it a single third-party seller, or multiple sellers? Why do these sellers seemingly have a special relationship with Amazon where Amazon is actually using their own website and distribution system to buy and sell items?
Old 05-21-12, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone suspect Amazon is reselling these as "New"?
I don't think so. The reseller I've sent trade ins to is some wholesale distributor in New Hampshire.

I had a trade in order of quite a few discs but something smelled fishy when I had clicked the bullets to "new" since the items were still sealed and every time I went back to that page and added an item it by default switched them to "good". I gave up and traded them in to a local record store instead.
Old 05-23-12, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Did you actually buy the Canadian DVD from Amazon, or from a third party seller being fulfilled by Amazon? Sometimes, if you place an order from the Amazon product page it will be by default from an third party seller even though it's fulfilled by Amazon.
Yes. This is exactly what happened...a third party seller fulfilled by Amazon: SourceMedia

I didn't realize this until I looked at the orders. They were titles picked up during Amazon's "Birthday Sale", so I just assumed they were being sold by Amazon.
Old 05-23-12, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

yeah, amazon has nothing to do with the trade ins. it's a 3rd party company who resells to other places (mom and pop stores) and sends stuff overseas.
Old 05-23-12, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yes. This is exactly what happened...a third party seller fulfilled by Amazon: SourceMedia

I didn't realize this until I looked at the orders. They were titles picked up during Amazon's "Birthday Sale", so I just assumed they were being sold by Amazon.
I hate that shit. You really have to watch what you're ordering these days.

Several years ago I ordered a CD that was FBA, and they sent me a fucking South American bootleg. It was a fairly obvious one, too, since the fine print on the back of the case was in Spanish and it looked like it had been printed with a cheap inkjet printer.

The weird thing was, the seller had really good feedback, something like 99%, though most of the negative comments were about receiving bootlegs. Do most people not know the difference or not care?
Old 05-23-12, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Do most people not know the difference or not care?
No, they don't. I know most of my family wouldn't know the difference. This summer an aunt of mine sent me a handful of movies, which was very nice of her, but they were all bootlegs she got on-line. She was just looking for a good deal for her and her kids and ordered some for me as well. She had no idea what they were other than they were cheap.

That's what they look for-price. I'd say the average person just looks at that when they're looking for a movie.
Old 05-30-12, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

I always select "return items" in case someone processing the trade-ins tries to pull something like down-grading a factory sealed DVD.

Surprisingly, I send in a disc with a few scratches and marked it as "Good" condition and they chose to upgrade it to "Like New". It was only a $0.30 increase (from $2.70 to $3.00), but it was cool of them to credit me more than I was expecting.
Old 05-31-12, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by joe_b
I always select "return items" in case someone processing the trade-ins tries to pull something like down-grading a factory sealed DVD.
I sent in a factory sealed one in my last batch that they downgraded to "good" because "it has a scratch on the disc"...and I'm thinking "What? You're OPENING the factory sealed ones?!" Weird.
Old 07-02-12, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sent 4 volumes of Family Guy sets, sealed still with the Best Buy price sticker and they downgraded them from NEW to Like New, which was total BS. so instead of getting like $45 I ended up with like $3. I contacted amazon and the guy gave me a $32 credit. but still how fucked can you be. I also sent it some of those Mei Ah movies and they returned them as "wrong region" even though the are region free. who ever the idiot looking them up thought that the 3 indicating the audio options was the region code. I also sent in a Pal Region 2 disc (among many) and got it back saying wrong region, the Amazon listing and even the name of the dvd had (Region 2) next to it. WTF. is a mixed bag.
Old 07-22-12, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I shipped a package on 7/2 and it still hasn't arrived, so I'm thinking it was lost or stolen. I'm pretty much screwed, correct, since I didn't pay for insurance?
Old 07-22-12, 02:43 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by NoirFan
I shipped a package on 7/2 and it still hasn't arrived, so I'm thinking it was lost or stolen. I'm pretty much screwed, correct, since I didn't pay for insurance?
Is that according to the amazon website or checking the tracking yourself. I have had things say on the website that they have not yet arrived, but when I check the tracking number myself it give a different story. If it arrived, just contact customer service and they will give you the credit.
Old 07-22-12, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

How did you send it? I'm pretty sure UPS covers all packages up to $50. I may be wrong on this but I think I'm at least close to being right, haha.
Old 07-22-12, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RonG617
Is that according to the amazon website or checking the tracking yourself.
That's according to Amazon, but I didn't think of checking it myself. When I did, the most recent entry was from 7/7 - 'Depart USPS Sort Facility'.
Old 07-23-12, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 449 Likes on 307 Posts

And it was shipped via what? First Class Package? Media Mail? Priority Mail? If it was via Media Mail, it could conceivably take up to 3-4 weeks. If it was one of the other two, it should have made it there already.

If it's truly lost, then yes, you are SOL. If you didn't have insurance, the USPS won't give a crap, as I've found out.
Old 07-23-12, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Phew, it was delivered today! I was really starting to get worried.
Old 07-24-12, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Phew, it was delivered today! I was really starting to get worried.
I was past the worried stage when it came to my last trade-in. After a couple days in transit, it sat in a Springfield, MA sorting facility for over a week. It finally moved on to New Jersey, then got sent back to Springfield... then back to Jersey... then back to Springfield again.

I wrote to Amazon and told them of the delay. They said they would look into it and make a note about my situation, but I never heard back. The package finally got delivered on Saturday - a full 28 days after I mailed it. I was relieved. That is, until I received an automated e-mail from Amazon that very day telling me the trade-in had expired and my items would now be returned to me upon receipt.

I wrote customer service to explain the situation (yet again) and to try to get them to renew the trade-in. Instead, they issued me a promotional credit for the full amount and basically told me the package was lost -- despite the recent delivery confirmation. I don't know if those DVDs will still be returned to me, but I'm just glad to be done with that mess.
Old 07-24-12, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Great, I've just been told that my entire order was lost in shipping.
Old 07-24-12, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Great, I've just been told that my entire order was lost in shipping.
And, fifteen minutes after I sent them an email, they issued me the full store credit. Amazon comes through once again!
Old 08-03-12, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Once I sent them something that was available exclusively through them (Rugrats Season 1) and they sent it back saying that's not I agreed to send them lol. I re-sent it and it was accepted O_o ... my advice to you is to choose the "send it back to me" option.
Old 08-08-12, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

I sent them a few packages after going through my collection. They were all new unopened DVD's. I sent one package and then 4 days later sent another package.

The tracking on the first package says it was delivered on 8/3; but on Amazon it is still listed as "in transit". The second package arrived yesterday and is being "processed".

When I contacted Amazon customer service through their chat sessions, the girl said they have received it but it hasn't arrived or been processed at the place where they go to be processed and I should contact them again if I don't get credit by 8/31. I just checked my email and the same rep "Gloria" sent me an email saying they haven't received the package yet and that it could still be with UPS even though they have it marked as delivered.

Anyone else have an issue where the shipping company says it's delivered, but Amazon says no? And what happens if Amazon can't find the package?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.