Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

"Would you like to buy a protection plan with your Blu-Ray for an extra $2.99?"

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

"Would you like to buy a protection plan with your Blu-Ray for an extra $2.99?"

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-12, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: "Would you like to buy a protection plan with your Blu-Ray for an extra $2.99?"

Originally Posted by danfindlay
I'm sorry your two year old wasn't able to destroy that copy of Alvin and the Chipmunks. Hate to see sad stories like this. Tough times....
I completely agree with your tongue-in-cheek views on said film (and the "Squeakquel" is even worse). Luckily, my older one is beginning to show interest in better stuff, like Disney classics. That's more my speed.

Last edited by Superdaddy; 03-01-12 at 09:50 AM.
Old 03-01-12, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Re: "Would you like to buy a protection plan with your Blu-Ray for an extra $2.99?"

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
They may not be "encouraged" to lie, but they still tell some whoppers.
They "got" me three years ago with my first iPhone purchase. They sold me on the $15 a month protection plan. How did they do that? I was told that I'd get 80% of that back in reward points if I didn't ever use the plan for a replacement. Special promotion, yada, yada, yada. Sounded legit enough. Sold.

Fast forward two years when said contract is up and you know where this is going. I spend multiple hours calling BB multiple times, talk to many people only to be told they never ran any such promotion and the employee must have misled me.

They gave me $5 in reward points for my trouble.

They effectively stole $360 from me. Assholes.
Old 03-29-12, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forbes: Best Buy FY Q4 Sales Miss; Closing 50 Stores; Cutting Jobs

Best Buy shares are trading lower Thursday morning after the electronics retailer posted disappointing sales for its fiscal fourth quarter ended March 3 and announced plans to close some stores as part of a broad cost-cutting program.

The retailer said it will reduce costs by $800 million on an annualized basis by FY 2015. Among other measures, the company intends to close 50 large-format stores in FY 2013, open 100 smaller Best Buy Mobile outlets and cut 400 jobs in corporate and support functions.

For the quarter, the company posted revenue of $16.6 million, up 3% from a year ago, but well below the Street consensus for $17.2 billion. Same-store sales were down 2.4%. Gross margin was flat at 24.5%. Adjusted profits from continuing operations were $2.50 a share, ahead of the Street at $2.16. On a GAAP basis, the company lost $4.89 a share in the quarter, reflecting $2.6 billion in various one-time charges.
Old 04-05-12, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
They "got" me three years ago with my first iPhone purchase. They sold me on the $15 a month protection plan. How did they do that? I was told that I'd get 80% of that back in reward points if I didn't ever use the plan for a replacement. Special promotion, yada, yada, yada. Sounded legit enough. Sold.

Fast forward two years when said contract is up and you know where this is going. I spend multiple hours calling BB multiple times, talk to many people only to be told they never ran any such promotion and the employee must have misled me.

They gave me $5 in reward points for my trouble.

They effectively stole $360 from me. Assholes.
15 a month??? Geez.
Old 04-05-12, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

It's funny, I never liked Circuit City because of the pushy sales people. Then Best Buy came along with their hands off approach and I pretty much stopped going to CC. As time went on CC changed their approach and I guess BB did as well and CC became a better experience, although their refusal to have a central checkout really bothered me. Now CC is out of business and BB is worse than ever.

I'll never forget the "screen saver" and protection plan they sold me on my first big screen TV (before the days of HD). Said I had to get the protection plan because I could get the bulbs cleaned and if needed replaced once a year. Guess how that worked out?