Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Blockbuster online is really starting to suck

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Blockbuster online is really starting to suck

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-12, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Blockbuster online is really starting to suck

That's why I quit. Every disc I received was at the bottom of my queue. It's more expensive but I use Vudu for new releases. Also use Netflix for discs only.
Old 01-17-12, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

Vudu is $4-$10 per rental for new releases isn't it?
Old 01-17-12, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, this service does suck.

I received a one month membership from a friend for Christmas. Signed up 2 weeks ago and filled up my queue. First title was listed as a dvd, I changed it to blu ray. 3 days later! They finally send me my first 2 discs, guess what? A dvd copy and a blu copy of the same movie! Great, I tried to contact them, no response. So I figured "big deal" and just returned them both after watching the blu. Once they finally cleared as returned 4 days later they put number 19 and 22 from my queue as preparing to ship, that was last Friday. Finally today, it's shipping. Almost 2 weeks of this service and I have gotten 2 rentals OF THE SAME MOVIE! Wow, glad this was free.
Old 03-05-12, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

I assume VUDU is only streaming and no disc in the mail?
Old 04-10-12, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They do suck. Takes 3 days to receive a movie. I watch and return the same day and 2 days later they get it back and then it takes another day or 2 to ship more out. I know this trial was free but I'm not renewing if this is the best they can do.
Old 04-12-12, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

I canceled Blockbuster again

3 weeks of receiving movies I added in my que back in 2007 was enough for me.

So stupid they advertise they have most major releases from Warner, Universal, 20th Century Fox etc 28 days before Netflix but none of those movies are available to rent.
Old 04-12-12, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

I did the 2 month free trial.. and the only way I got most of the new releases I wanted to see was to trade in the mail title in store for the new release... I got some via mail.. but only about 1/4 to 1/3.. the rest were in store trades..
Old 04-19-12, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, after 5+ years, I finally canceled my subscription. It was taking 3 days for movies to reach my house and almost the first page of my queue was long to very long wait. I get most of the new releases from the library now but I'm going to miss renting some of the blu rays
Old 04-19-12, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What I never understood was that everyone knows how crappy they run their stores in the first place. Why would online be any different? Once they ran all the local shops out of town, they just never "got it" when new forms of competition came about. They half-assed competed with them as some sort of delaying tactic until online rentals and now kiosks would go away. You can be as stubborn as you want but if you can't adapt, you go bye bye.
Old 05-23-12, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I signed up again a few weeks back because I got a free trial. I figured that I could use it to supplement my Netflix titles and maybe grab some of those titles that Netflix doesn't carry. BBO is just as terrible now as it was when I canceled. Every title they ship to me takes 2-3 days to get to me. I sent back 3 titles on Saturday and 2 of them still haven't been checked in. Needless to say, just before the first billing date comes up I will be cancelling again.
Old 06-29-12, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Blockbuster takes one step forward, four backwards. They finally let you set the amount of time to wait for discs, up to 5 extra days, and I have had my queue go in order regardless of the stated wait time. I wait a couple extra days at most, but get the "Very Long Wait" BluRays I want. For about a month, the service was great coupled with the in-store trades.

However, the in-store trade in has turned into a nightmare about three weeks ago. It simply does not work and I have to call/email every exchange to get them to remove the returned item so the next will ship. They claim it is because they recently moved their headquarters. They have given me free rental coupons and membership credit for the problems, but it is a major hassle.
Old 02-16-13, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've always been a big defender of Blockbuster online. I never had any of these problems when everyone else was complaining. It finally has gotten to the point where I have to cancel. Rentals are taking a week to clear my queue before they send another and now they closed the last store close enough to me for in-store exchange. I tried emailing them last week but it wouldn't go through. Not sure what to do next. I had a real problem with Netflix which is why I cancelled them years ago. I will not go back to the blind buy method. I ended up with too much crap on the shelves. Maybe I'll try some Redbox. My new BR player does have streaming so I'll have to investigate that.

Just sucks. In it's hayday, at 3 at a time, I could cyle through 12 a week. Now I have 2 at a time but I can't seem to get 2 in the same week. With Saturday delivery leaving us in August that'll make it worse.

Edited to add; I just tried emailing again and the emails won't go through.

Last edited by JimRochester; 02-16-13 at 07:10 AM.
Old 02-17-13, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just got off the phone with Blockbuster. I told him how bad the service has been. He gave me the explaination about the increased demand for BR, yada yada yada. Which is latin for; we're going broke and can't stock enough product or hire people to mail them. He gave me a discount for the next 3 months so I'll give them another chance and see if it improves.
Old 02-24-13, 05:59 PM

I signed up for the one month free trial, 2 at-a-time. It has been 3 weeks, and I have not received either one of my movies.
Old 02-25-13, 05:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

When I started there was a 3 - 4 day turnaround. I could drop it in the mail today, and have the replacements Wed or Thursday. It would show received with a new one mailed the same day. I've gone in and changed a lot of my titles to DVD. The comedies and crap that BR has less of an impact. So I'll see if that helps it. But even at that, they are showing mailed yet not showing up in my mailbox for 3 or 4days or more, which means they are designating the title but not actually mailing.
Old 02-25-13, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Originally Posted by JimRochester
He gave me a discount for the next 3 months so I'll give them another chance and see if it improves.
It won't. 3 months for a business to completely repair itself is unrealistic and the only thing the business got was a retentions guy getting a check for keeping someone paying.
Old 02-25-13, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Fortunately for them I'm not looking for a complete turnaround, just an improvement. Even if it doesn't, it's worth it for a few months reduced price. Trust me, I'm not holding my breath. I just don't like Netflix due to an earlier issue and no BB stores near me. There was one Family Video not too far, I have to check and see if it's still there.
Old 03-30-13, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was planning on posting about the improvement in the last month but yet again they are slow as molasses. They were very good for 3 weeks. This past week, I mailed one on Monday, didn't show received until Thursday, no replacement showing in queue on Saturday morning. If I watch on Friday and mail on Saturday I get the replacement by Friday but a Monday mail is iffy. Once they do away with Saturday mail later this year the service will be worthless.

Right now I have 26 in queue. All are from 2011 or 12 and 2 are showing available. I have 11 movies that been released to DVD or BR and are showing up in the not yet available section of the queue. After my 3 month reduction I hate to say it but I'll be done with Blockbuster.
Old 04-01-13, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This service still exists? I thought the company had already gone under. I do miss going to video stores.
Old 09-18-13, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Stopped by Family Video this week and looks like I'm going that route. When I could get 2 per week reliably it was running about $2 per rental. FV is $1 - $3.50 depending on how new the title is. The important thing is that most titles are 5 day rentals
Old 09-20-13, 11:59 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Family Video is awesome.
Old 09-20-13, 02:36 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Took a two month trial to pick up a few title not available on Netflix and a few that have been long waits forever in my que. 5 weeks in and I have gotten 4 movies. Gets shipped out of the same town(25 minutes from my house) as Netflix, yet takes 3-4 days to reach me. The weird thing is when I drop it in the mail to return, it gets there in 1 day like it should. But when they ship, it can take up to 4 days to reach me. I wonder if they say they shipped and hold onto it a few days to cut down on the amount of rentals you can do in a month.
Old 09-20-13, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lamphorn
This service still exists? I thought the company had already gone under. I do miss going to video stores.
It's the AOL of video rental. Yes, it still exists, but for people without access to streaming online or credit cards to rent from a kiosk. And in very limited markets. I think they are only down to three or four stores in the Kansas City area. The one closest to me looks run down and the sign is faded and you can hardly read it and you know damn well they aren't going to invest a dime in a new sign. I heard the store's lease is up in 2015 and I predict it will be gone that year.
Old 11-06-13, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well the dilemma is over. As reported in the other thread they are officially going under. Glad we have the Family Video nearby.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/11/06/news...tores-closing/
Old 12-09-13, 06:42 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Now that the Blockbuster through-the-mail rental no longer exists I need some help. Where can I rent blue ray discs through the mail? Does Netflix do it?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.