Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Amazon Mom, Amazon Prime membership terms question

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-11, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all. If there are any lawyers on this forum who happen to be reading this, I'm interested in your view of this question.

Here is what is posted on Amazon's website:

Originally Posted by amazon
Amazon Mom is a free program for new and expecting parents featuring exclusive deals on a wide selection of brands and products to help solve all of your family's needs, plus:

Exclusively for Amazon Mom members, receive an additional 15% discount on top of the standard 15% discount on select diapers and wipes when you sign up for Subscribe & Save delivery. Subscribe & Save orders are always delivered with free standard shipping, and you can change your delivery schedule or cancel at any time.
Three months of FREE Two-Day shipping with Amazon Prime. For every $25 you spend within a single order in the Baby store, we'll grant you an additional month of Amazon Prime shipping benefits. When you're signed in, eligible items will have a yellow stripe at the top of the detail page that says "Amazon Mom: Purchase this and other Baby items to extend your Amazon Prime FREE Shipping Benefits." You can earn up to one year of Amazon Prime shipping benefits from the date you joined Amazon Mom.
My question is this: The terms of the program does not specifically state that the maximum number of months you can earn, for the life of an account, is capped at 1 year. I called to inquire why you wouldn't be able to earn an additional year after that first year has lapsed. For example, would it not be plausible for someone reading these terms to get that, yes, you can earn a year of free Amazon Prime, but after that year is up, you can start earning additional months again.?

Last edited by runner001; 10-08-11 at 11:39 PM.
Old 10-09-11, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Amazon Mom, Amazon Prime membership terms question

Dear OP,

You don't have to be a lawyer to know that your case is rock solid. You could easily sue Amazon for 5 million dollars. Please share it with me. I haven't been able to afford attractive prostitutes lately, just the ones who may or may not be dudes. It's like a Crying Game crapshoot every time I bring one home. Have pity on me.

Sincerely,

Living Dead
Old 10-09-11, 02:39 AM

IANAL or nearly as funny as Living Dead, but the answer is obviously no. You're reaching pretty hard there, and your "view" of the crystal-clear limitation does not pass the laugh test.
Old 10-09-11, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by runner001
My question is this: The terms of the program does not specifically state that the maximum number of months you can earn, for the life of an account, is capped at 1 year
But it does say you are limited to one year of Prime. "Up to one year" is pretty specific.
Old 10-09-11, 10:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Living Dead
Dear OP,

You don't have to be a lawyer to know that your case is rock solid. You could easily sue Amazon for 5 million dollars. Please share it with me. I haven't been able to afford attractive prostitutes lately, just the ones who may or may not be dudes. It's like a Crying Game crapshoot every time I bring one home. Have pity on me.

Sincerely,

Living Dead
you should go to France, i hear they give screws for 40 cents over there.
Old 10-09-11, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

thanks for the proper responses. no thanks goes to the sarcastic and not so funny responses.

i know i'm probably asking for it by saying this but i'll say it anyway: what's the point in responding at all if you either think my question is ridiculous or don't plan on giving a response relevant to the question?
Old 10-09-11, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Yes, please game the system as much as possible so that those of us who actually pay for the program can subsidize you.
Old 10-10-11, 03:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by runner001
thanks for the proper responses. no thanks goes to the sarcastic and not so funny responses.

i know i'm probably asking for it by saying this but I'll say it anyway: what's the point in responding at all if you either think my question is ridiculous or don't plan on giving a response relevant to the question?
The more ridiculous the question, the more ridiculous the answer, I always say.
Old 10-10-11, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

I signed up for the free three month sample a year or so back and let it expire. Now my wife is actually expecting, but my Mom purchases don't seem to be earning me credit toward prime. Has anyone else had this happen to them? Is there a limit after signing up of how long you can qualify?
Old 10-10-11, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
I signed up for the free three month sample a year or so back and let it expire. Now my wife is actually expecting, but my Mom purchases don't seem to be earning me credit toward prime. Has anyone else had this happen to them? Is there a limit after signing up of how long you can qualify?
You signed up for a three months prime trial or did you sign up for amazon mom?
Old 10-10-11, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Sorry, I signed up for Amazon Mom, which initially came with a three month Prime membership, with the potential of extending that for every $25 worth of purchases through the mom store per month.

I purchased a pregnancy pillow for my wife a few months back and it didn't do anything for me, Prime-wise.
Old 10-10-11, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

If you let it expire, I think you're off the program, I don't think you can let it lapse and just have it automatically trigger the next time you spend 25 bucks in mom stuff.
Old 10-10-11, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

^This is true. You must make the qualifying purchase prior to the current expiration date. They'll only give you 12 months free - including any "bonus" months they may add without having to make a qualifying purchase.
Old 10-11-11, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by fujishig
If you let it expire, I think you're off the program, I don't think you can let it lapse and just have it automatically trigger the next time you spend 25 bucks in mom stuff.
That's how it works. As long as you keep buying enough "Mom" items you can get up to a year. My prime with amazon mom just ended a couple of days ago.
Old 10-11-11, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Ropes Pierre
you should go to France, i hear they give screws for 40 cents over there.
I've gotten some of those 40 cent screws in order to get free supersaver shipping.
Old 10-11-11, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I'm really gonna miss my Prime/Mom benefits when they finally expire at the end of the year. They've saved me a bundle on my...well, little bundle.
Old 10-12-11, 10:37 AM

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by DirkUSA
That's how it works. As long as you keep buying enough "Mom" items you can get up to a year. My prime with amazon mom just ended a couple of days ago.
Mine too. I was hoping that I would be able to sign up for it again since I am about to have another child, but I'm just going to get a real Prime membership. Having it for a year made me realize how great it is and really, the price isn't that bad if you're going to be ordering things through Amazon anyway.
Old 09-18-12, 11:48 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

For those of us still on the free Amazon Mom mailing list, you may have recently received an email offering you $70 off an Amazon Mom order of $100 or more.

Might just give that $70 to a friend that has a baby, but it was enough to get me to renew my Prime membership.
Old 09-19-12, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
For those of us still on the free Amazon Mom mailing list, you may have recently received an email offering you $70 off an Amazon Mom order of $100 or more.

Might just give that $70 to a friend that has a baby, but it was enough to get me to renew my Prime membership.
Hmm... I only got a 20% off code.

edited to add: Oh, this is to entice people to get Prime again. As I'm already a Prime sub, guess I missed out...