Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Amazon Marketplace merchants rewrapping DVD's

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 09-06-11, 01:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If there's one thing that makes my blood boil, it's buying a DVD listed as brand new, only to receive a used (or worse) DVD resealed in aftermarket shrink wrap. (Many years ago, I worked at a discount store and operated a shrink wrap machine, so trust me, I know.) This is compounded if I've actually taken time to contact the Amazon merchant privately and ask, "is the item factory-sealed, with an intact UPC code, etc., etc.?"

The first time it happened was over a CD purchase. But the price was very good, and without the wrap, it would have generally passed for "like new". The only sign of wear was a light, rounded bend in the back cover of the booklet, which happens sometimes as you pry it from the jewel box. I thought the practice was strange, but didn't complain.

The second time was earlier this year, when I bought an out-of-print 2xDVD in all-cardboard packaging. The inside looked brand new, but the outside showed signs of shelf wear, like scuff marks on the bottom where the paint was starting to wear away. I complained, returned the set at my expense, and received a mostly prompt refund but no explanation.

It just happened again, this time even after querying the merchant. It was the Dracula 75th Anniversary 2xDVD, and there wasn't just a little wear. Both digipak trays were completely detached from the binding, one taking a small chunk of artwork with it. Disk 1 contained fingerprints, and disk 2 was scratched all to hell. I contacted the merchant and freaked. Their storefront was shut down for two weeks, probably for summer vacation, but I waited patiently. On Sunday I received a refund and a short, sarcastic reply

Enjoy your FREE copy!!!
But while they were away, I started contacting other sellers. Only one responded and said

the 2 new I had sold. they did look like they were rewrapped but that is the way we get them
So there is a business somewhere distributing rewrapped DVD's to Amazon merchants??? I am confused. I wonder if my merchant could have bought from them, too, and if my first rewrapped DVD might have come from this source?

Are there any Amazon Marketplace sellers here who have insights into this? How common is the practice of rewrapping used items and calling them new? It seems something systematic could be going on, possibly to the degree that Amazon should be investigating. I have my refund (and a trashed Dracula set I don't want), but should I press the issue with Amazon or leave it alone? Thanks, and hopefully this wasn't too long.
Old 09-06-11, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Re: Amazon Marketplace merchants rewrapping DVD's

When I worked at Tower, their warehouse had a process called 'beautification' where they would re-shrinkwrap merchandise that had been around a while and whose original shrinkwrap was getting worn. They'd first put stuff on a conveyor belt where a vacuum would take off the original shrinkwrap, then they'd get resealed. The stuff inside wasn't touched but I still didn't like this, especially with items that had printed labels on the shrinkwrap from the manufacturers since I always cut out and save those. But if you get a new disc that looks like it's been rewrapped, that's probably what happened.

I've gotten a few suspect items from Amazon sellers- I strictly only buy merchandise listed as NEW, but once got a DVD which had been sealed and had a "Security Device Enclosed" sticker on the top where the title sticker would normally be, and the disc inside looked like it had been run through a 'Disc Doctor' to remove scratches. I went ahead and kept it since it was a hard-to-find title, but I was pretty pissed. Last week I got a combo HD-DVD of "Michael Clayton" to replace the copy I got a few years ago that turned out to be defective or rotted (see my long post in HD Talk about my experience with bad HD-DVDs)- this one actually had the printed title label on the top of the case, but both sides of the disc looked like they had been resurfaced. To top it off, the HD side still locked up during playback. It's on its way back for a refund- Amazon has an easy system with most items where you can print out a prepaid address label and drop it off at any UPS Store or drop box.
Old 09-06-11, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i usually try to buy straight from Amazon or some other big business to avoid these things. my wife bought peter pan on ebay and the first thing she thought was that it was a fake because the cover looked a little like it was printed on a home printer
Old 09-06-11, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I once bought a "new" DVD box set directly from Amazon and you could easily tell that it that had been previously opened by someone and then rewrapped and returned because the wrap itself looked like Saran wrap and at the bottom the loose ends of the wrap had been neatly folded and then sealed with scotch tape!

I've bought DVDs from major retailers (ie. Best Buy, Big Lots, Columbiahouse, FYE) that were clearly rewraps because when you removed the shrinkwrap you would find small remnants of the previous plastic wrap underneath it (usually on the spine, where the previous wrap had been glued there).
Old 09-06-11, 04:47 PM

Yeah, I've gotten a few Fox DVDs that had old wrap stuck on the spine and resealed with new wrap. These were older titles that had been repriced, so they probably did that to stick the new UPC sticker on the back cover. Don't know why they couldn't just stick it on the shrinkwrap that was already there.
Old 09-06-11, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thetao View Post
Are there any Amazon Marketplace sellers here who have insights into this? How common is the practice of rewrapping used items and calling them new? It seems something systematic could be going on, possibly to the degree that Amazon should be investigating. I have my refund (and a trashed Dracula set I don't want), but should I press the issue with Amazon or leave it alone? Thanks, and hopefully this wasn't too long.
I don't think there is any harm alerting amazon this has happened, maybe you can alert them to a vast conspiracy.

PS I hope you Enjoy your FREE copy!!!
Old 10-27-11, 01:32 PM
Banned

What pisses me off is when you buy used items, like games from Amazon fulfilled sellers. They're resealed. Fine. But why put your own bullshit stickers on BEFORE rewrapping and permanently ruin the goddamn case cause the glue never comes off????
Old 10-27-11, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I've ordered alot of books over the last 6 months from Amazon Marketplace and quite a few, the postage was underpaid and I had to make up the difference. Sure the merchants reimpersed me but gee ,can't they get it right the first time.
Old 10-27-11, 10:00 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

The studios are sending a lot of new product out without the white seals on top or any other seals for that matter. It is only shrink wrapped. It is getting harder to know whether it is new or not. I just received a criterion from amazon directly and it had no seal on top. Paramount never uses it on their new releases either. I liked it when all the studios used the seal all the time. Now it is fifty fifty whether it has it or not.
Old 10-27-11, 10:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by g View Post
The studios are sending a lot of new product out without the white seals on top or any other seals for that matter. It is only shrink wrapped. It is getting harder to know whether it is new or not. I just received a criterion from amazon directly and it had no seal on top. Paramount never uses it on their new releases either. I liked it when all the studios used the seal all the time. Now it is fifty fifty whether it has it or not.
That's how it should be. Those stickers are stupid, and sometimes the glue stays behind and makes a mess. I just wish they'd quit melting the wrapper to the spine of the goddamn case.
Old 10-27-11, 11:58 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't like it without seals because if you sell stuff online without the seals some people question whether it is new or not. It's another headache for selling stuff.
Old 11-01-11, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 113 Likes on 100 Posts

I have caught a number of Amazon Marketplace sellers trying to pass off resealed items (mostly CDs and DVDs) as new items. Some of the bigger Marketplace sellers are clearly doing it because few customers complain about it or do not recognize when it happens to them. Feedback scores are usually a good indicator. It is the larger sellers in the 96% range and below on Amazon that most frequently employ this practice.

I think the problem is not going away, as the rewards are just too great for the bigger sellers if you can consistently list a used item as new. The price differential between a new item and a "like new" item can often be quite big.
Old 01-01-12, 07:45 AM

There is a legitimate reason even for sellers of used disk products to wrap them to make it more difficult for people to copy their products and then claim refunds, which happens way too often with used disk products.

The "unreturnable if opened" thing should apply equally to new or used products you sell. I have no problem whatsoever with used CD/DVD sellers wrapping their products, just as long as the used product isn't misrepresented as new.

One thing I might suggest. If you have been sold a product as new and it's obviously not, perhaps contacting Amazon isn't the only solution. This actually represents a form of piracy or theft from the original producer/owner of this media - so you might want to contact the company that sells the (legitimate) new product, or perhaps even a government agency (how many FBI warnings have you sat through...well, the laws apply equally to software, games, music, etc.), particularly if you believe your source is running a "criminal enterprise", as opposed to the misguided seller who got duped themselves and really did believe the product was new when they listed it for sale.

Last edited by Battlespeed; 01-01-12 at 07:52 AM.
Old 01-01-12, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Amazon's not helping things with their trade-in store either. It used to be that the categories were "Like new" and "good" on DVDs and Blu-rays, but now they added "New" to the mix. The much larger trade-in credit for a sealed copy of something definitely made me briefly consider looking at how much it would cost for a shrinkwrap sealer kit. I would never really do that, but you got to know that some people are doing it if they can justify the cost. The fact that many studios dropped the spine seal probably made it much easier for people who do this to get away with it.
Old 01-07-12, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, this is definitely going on. Last year I ordered a BD from a marketplace seller. It was advertised as "new" and it was shrinkwrapped, but when I opened it the front of the BD case was heavily scuffed, so it seemed obvious it was resealed. The disc was pristine, so I kept it and just replaced the case. I even rated the seller 4/5 stars, and explained in my rating that I docked one star for an obviously resealed disc, although the actual movie was perfect.

They emailed me back and basically bribed me to take down my 4/5 feedback; I guess they'd gotten all 5/5 until then. They admitted the disc was indeed resealed but new. They offered me a $5 amazon credit to remove the feedback. I didn't accept.

The poster above who talked about Tower resealing things: I have experience with that too. I have a CD or two I got from them when they were in business that were obviously resealed.

I'm resigned to the fact that I have so many discs, that there are probably some that were rewrapped in the collection that I don't know about. If the item is sealed when I get it and is in perfect condition, I give the seller the benefit of the doubt. Not much else one can do.

Last edited by Superdaddy; 01-07-12 at 06:55 AM.
Old 01-07-12, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Roybq View Post
Amazon's not helping things with their trade-in store either. It used to be that the categories were "Like new" and "good" on DVDs and Blu-rays, but now they added "New" to the mix. The much larger trade-in credit for a sealed copy of something definitely made me briefly consider looking at how much it would cost for a shrinkwrap sealer kit. I would never really do that, but you got to know that some people are doing it if they can justify the cost. The fact that many studios dropped the spine seal probably made it much easier for people who do this to get away with it.
Interesting. I've only done trade-in once and didn't know they'd added the "New" category.
Old 01-07-12, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Superdaddy View Post
Yeah, this is definitely going on. Last year I ordered a BD from a marketplace seller. It was advertised as "new" and it was shrinkwrapped, but when I opened it the front of the BD case was heavily scuffed, so it seemed obvious it was resealed. The disc was pristine, so I kept it and just replaced the case. I even rated the seller 4/5 stars, and explained in my rating that I docked one star for an obviously resealed disc, although the actual movie was perfect.

They emailed me back and basically bribed me to take down my 4/5 feedback; I guess they'd gotten all 5/5 until then. They admitted the disc was indeed resealed but new. They offered me a $5 amazon credit to remove the feedback. I didn't accept...
Good for you! They probably wanted that visual feedback indicating they sold re-shrinkwrapped used product as new removed. I know if I saw that I'd not purchase from them.

I take feedback seriously when considering a purchase. I just wish Amazon made it easier to look at vendor feedback as the new feedback page layout sucks and it takes forever to go through just a few pages.

I got bit with a OOP Disney title listed as "new". It arrived, obviously re-sealed, no security stickers, in a broken non-Disney case. Even the DMR code had been redeemed! At least all inserts were present and the disks *do* look like genuine, new, non-refurbished/buffed, copies. I complained but never heard back from them. They got a "1" rating from me although others were raving about the product and service.
Old 01-09-12, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Roybq View Post
Yep, I complained about this in another thread...it just encourages people to "cheat". Plus the policy says it should be shrink-wrapped and in perfect working order...but if it's wrapped, how do you know WHAT kind of condition the contents are in!
Old 01-09-12, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hate when this happens, but ime it can happen with any seller, including Amazon themselves. During the Holidays I received three titles sold directly from Amazon that looked possibly re-shrinked. I even had a 4th title, which Amazon was blowing out before no longer carrying, where they sent me a copy with no shrinkwrap and a beat up keepsake box.

Then there's a Marketplace seller that I've bought over 20 titles from, all had been factory shinkwrapped, until my most recent order where one was obviously re-shrinked.

I wish that there was a way to prevent this, but if so, I'm unaware of it.
Old 12-06-13, 06:05 PM

I just received ten (10) Blu Ray's from Best Buy. All have been re-wrapped and lack the security seal. And. All are going to be returned! Oh. They had been on sale @ prices seemingly "too good to be true" ($3.99/4.99).

I had the same issue with Amazon. I submitted "return feedback" stating that I believed the Blu Ray's I had returned had previously been opened due to obvious re-wrap and lack of security tape.

Amazon responded thanking me for the "feedback" and said they were unaware of such a practice and that they would look into it.

I'm old fashioned. New means new and not previously opened.
Old 12-07-13, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I've always left the top seals on dvds in case I may want to sell them someday. I run a razor down the center of seal so I can open case without removing it.
Old 12-07-13, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
When I worked at Tower, their warehouse had a process called 'beautification'...
I know that Best Buy has the same thing.
Old 12-07-13, 02:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
I know that Best Buy has the same thing.
I want to know why the hell these distributors are still using that awful fucking cellophane melted to the spine of the case instead of simple shrink wrap. You'd think more collectors would be bitching about that.
Old 12-07-13, 04:39 PM

I just spent close to an hour getting that stuff off a disc I bought at the 99 Cents store. Yeah, that stuff sucks, but still nothing pisses me off more than the trend of shipping discs with cardboard slipcovers with NO shrinkwrap on them, so stores just go ahead and stick crap right on them. I'd like to strangle everyone behind that- I've even gotten a couple from Amazon, which I ordered just because the only stores that carried them had crap stuck on them, and they had some sort of inventory tags stuck on them! If I had a store I'd probably just seal those things myself before putting them out.
Old 12-07-13, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by atthev View Post
I just received ten (10) Blu Ray's from Best Buy. All have been re-wrapped and lack the security seal. And. All are going to be returned! Oh. They had been on sale @ prices seemingly "too good to be true" ($3.99/4.99).

I grabbed 16 of those $3.99 BD's from Best Buy's Black Friday sale. They all arrived a few days ago and I must say they all are new with the exception of one. The shrink on this one BD looks suspicious, but otherwise is in "new" condition. I decided to keep it. Even though I don't shop much at Best Buy for a variety of reasons, overall I am happy with this order.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.