Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Amazon Prime and Release Day Shipping?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 08-11-11, 06:28 PM
Mao

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Don't tend to order a lot of new releases from Amazon.

I've heard from a few people that they get their new releases on release date. The only time I tried that with Amazon, I got it on a Thursday.

Not acceptable if I'm in needy mode.

Is this normal for most folks? Does Amazon ship on release date to some and to others early?
Old 08-11-11, 08:08 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Amazon Prime and Release Day Shipping?

I found it depends on the distributor of the DVD, if it's from Buena Vista then I get it on Thursday, if it's from anyone else I get it the Day of release or even that Monday.
Old 08-11-11, 09:37 PM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Usually they tell you on the product page if it will arrive by release date, I've had a few issues, got a few credits, but for the most part my stuff would arrive on a Monday as long as I'd ordered the new release by Friday.
Old 08-12-11, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

99.9% of my orders arrive on release day. Lately they are sending them out ups overnight on Mondays to get to me by Tuesday.
Old 08-12-11, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

With Prime, I'd say just about all the movies I ordered came on release day.
Old 08-12-11, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by DirkUSA
99.9% of my orders arrive on release day. Lately they are sending them out ups overnight on Mondays to get to me by Tuesday.
Same here. And once in a blue moon, I'll get a new release on a Monday. But they usually ship on Monday, overnight (with Ontarck) and I get them on Tuesday. The only time I'll not get something on release date is a very obscure release that they didn't get in on time from a distributor - items that 3rd party sellers don't even have. But yeah, it's with Prime, and it's been worth it since most of the stuff I get aren't available at the local stores and it's nice to come home to a box full of what I want instead of having to drive around town after work hunting the stuff down.
Old 08-12-11, 02:41 PM

Note the information before buying. If you pre-order early enough, chances are you'll get the movie on release day. If you pre-order 4 days before release date, and it is a popular movie, then the information on amazon will tell you when to expect your order.

When I've pre-ordered months in advance, I get the movie on release day. When I pre-ordered a title a week before release, and it was UPS'd on release day (Tuesday), and I didn't get it until Thursday.
Old 08-15-11, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This. Amazon Prime is friggin' awesome.
Old 08-15-11, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have had amazon prime for around five years, and in all that time and countless hundreds of orders, I can count on less than the fingers of one hand the times that I have not received a pre-order (be it BD, DVD, or CD) on day of release.

I have received exactly one item a day early. I have also received items on release day regardless of whether the pre-order was placed months in advance or a few days before release.
Old 08-15-11, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Same here. The two-day prime shipping effectively becomes one-day shipping.

And let's not forget that for eligible items, ordering before 5:00 P.M. Thursday gets it to you in time for the weekend, usually by Friday night in my case but they will give Saturday delivery at no extra charge if needed.