DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Store Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum-7/)
-   -   Borders closing 200 stores (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/587614-borders-closing-200-stores.html)

asianxcore 07-16-11 01:52 PM

Re: Borders closing 200 stores

Originally Posted by Adboy151 (Post 10853891)
Well it seems nobody thought the Columbia House buy-out was a good idea, so now Borders may be down to weeks as a retailer...

Yikes!

Had some friends I worked with at our previous local Borders, that have since then moved to another in San Francisco. Guess they'll be in the job search yet again.

Gizmo 07-16-11 03:51 PM

And another one (likely) bites the dust.

Zbu 07-17-11 11:22 AM

Yeah, the outlook is dim for Borders. Their main store in Downtown Ann Arbor is clearing out the second floor and putting a lot of stuff on clearance. To keep people buying the worthless Borders Plus memberships, they're pretending the clearance is for 'remodeling their new community space.'

Cory02 07-18-11 05:17 PM

Looks like the end for Borders. They are asking the bankruptcy judge to approve a sale to liquidators and the liquidation could begin as soon as Friday:

Link

NoirFan 07-18-11 06:57 PM

So, how long does B & N have?

sleepyhead55 07-18-11 07:06 PM

Anyone know if they will still accept Borders Bucks during the liquidation period? If not, I'm just going to go tomorrow and use up the $15 borders bucks I have in the account.

DeanoBKN 07-18-11 07:19 PM

I hate to say this, but if your store already began the liquidation/closing process, I doubt it.

sleepyhead55 07-18-11 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas (Post 10858779)
I hate to say this, but if your store already began the liquidation/closing process, I doubt it.

Thanks for the info. I don't think any of the stores near me have started the liquidation process yet so I'll go tomorrow. The stories I've read said Friday would be the earliest that the liquidation process would start.

Vellsbells 07-18-11 08:26 PM

I have Borders Bucks that don't become active until 8/1, what's the likelihood I'll be able to use them? And what of borders.com? I read that the kobe users will have their borders.com acct info transferred to kobe.com. I don't have a kobe but I wonder if I might have better luck using my BB online. I guess I'll have to hope that my stores won't start liquidating until after 8/1.

rick_deckard 07-18-11 08:51 PM

Oh no, now where will I be able to pay retail price for a book at?

Alan Smithee 07-18-11 09:04 PM

Barnes and Noble?

Borders wasn't even TRYING to keep my business. I bought TONS of DVDs from them when they had competitive prices, but they stopped that AND cut their selection so they weren't even worth checking for stuff that I had to have right away and would've paid anything for. They should have been able to fill the void left by Tower, but again they didn't even try.

whotony 07-18-11 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by rick_deckard (Post 10858893)
Oh no, now where I be able to pay retail price for a book at?

I doubt you or anyone else was paying full retail at any borders store, if you are then that says more about you then anybody else, at.

asianxcore 07-18-11 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by rick_deckard (Post 10858893)
Oh no, now where will I be able to pay retail price for a book at?

Why do people act like Borders is the only store that does this? Mom & Pop Bookstores do this. Barnes and Noble does it as well if the book isn't on sale. That statement is getting so old.

Looks like my friends who decided to go back to Borders after their store closed this year, will be out of a job again. I hope for all that is holy, that some of them at least push themselves to do something better. Or at the very least do what some of my friends did when they lost their job at Borders, go back and finish up College.

We'll see how competitive E-Tailers are once they push out all the B&M stores.

GMan2819 07-18-11 09:48 PM

If you have gift cards, better use them up before Friday. Since Borders will be sold to a liquidator, there's a good chance gift cards will not be accepted once liquidation starts.

al_bundy 07-19-11 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by asianxcore (Post 10858943)
Why do people act like Borders is the only store that does this? Mom & Pop Bookstores do this. Barnes and Noble does it as well if the book isn't on sale. That statement is getting so old.

Looks like my friends who decided to go back to Borders after their store closed this year, will be out of a job again. I hope for all that is holy, that some of them at least push themselves to do something better. Or at the very least do what some of my friends did when they lost their job at Borders, go back and finish up College.

We'll see how competitive E-Tailers are once they push out all the B&M stores.

supposedly amazon is selling more kindle books than paper books. dead tree books are going away

n.phelge 07-21-11 04:47 PM

Their prices were usually MSRP, but Borders was the only B&M that would stock Something Weird titles. They even did the joint promotion for the Extra Weird Sampler (although it didn't turn out that great for them). There wasn't anywhere else that you could walk in on release day and pick up Tobacco Roody.

clckworang 07-21-11 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by GMan2819 (Post 10858954)
If you have gift cards, better use them up before Friday. Since Borders will be sold to a liquidator, there's a good chance gift cards will not be accepted once liquidation starts.

I posted this in a couple of the other Borders threads. Maybe this means gift cards will still be accepted.

NEW YORK (AP) - In a story on July 19, The Associated Press, relying on a company statement, reported erroneously that Borders was expected to ask a federal bankruptcy court to allow it to be sold to liquidators. Borders plans to ask the court to appoint liquidation firms to conduct going-out-of business sales. They will not buy any assets of Borders.

RobLutter 07-22-11 05:44 PM

I fell bad for those losing their jobs but: Good Riddance.

Horribly run company meeting a horrible end, what's not to love? Wish I could participate in gnawing at the corpse but they closed their Austin stores way back in the first quarter.