Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Best Buy tracking returns now?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Best Buy tracking returns now?

Old 02-14-11, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Best Buy tracking returns now?

Originally Posted by jjcool
Just to play devils advocate for a little while here, but what is wrong with this scenario? What does it watter why someone is buying something? If they try to return something with a receipt, or even without a receipt, arent they going to get back what they paid for the item, or the lowest price it has been in the past 30 days? IE they cant make a profit by simply buying and returning items to best buy. THe only thing that Best Buy is not getting comepensated for, is the time of the person to ring the sale or return through the register. Is it just the fact that he was doing weekly returns that had people up in arms? At the time, wasnt this allowed according to Best Buys policies?
I think what sucks is you have one person essentially buying all the stock of an item, meaning not only do other consumers lose out when searching for said item, but Best Buy eventually loses out on that sale if the item is returned 2 or 3 weeks later and the previous would be buyers go on to make their purchase elsewhere.
Old 02-14-11, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Xbox69
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum...cusations.html

Looks like she no longer posts on this forum.
I see she was asking about Costco's return policy in earlier posts. There's a good example of why they had to change it.

Originally Posted by ozzfan84
In my experience, the only time I've had to "fight" with customer service was when they were completely ignorant of the policies of the store for which they work.
Isn't that the best

I bought one of the Lord of the Rings dvds from Target and it came with two copies of disc 2, and no disc 1. The girl was giving me a hard time because she thought I was scamming the store.

At one point she said that maybe I'm trying to get two copies of the disc, out of what I was trying to do(return it and get a different copy). I told her, what am I going to do with two copies of the end of the movie and no copy of the first half. She realized what she said was stupid but then fell back on that she couldn't do it.

Eventually I talked to someone else and got it fixed.
Old 01-01-15, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,052 Likes on 1,582 Posts

I guess I haven't returned anything at BB for a long time, as I didn't realize this was the policy.

I went to TRU to return something with receipt, and was surprised they asked for, and scanned, my Drivers License. I protested a bit and the cashier explained that it's to prevent excessive returns. I asked for a dollar amount and she hedged. They asked me to verify on the credit card screen and it included my address.

Apparently they just joined "the Retail Equation" which Best Buy, Home Depot, and others have been a part of for a while. They gather data across the companies to detect return signs of fraud, and if you're flagged you're at first warned that you can't return anything in the next 90 days, then I guess you're banned from returns for good.

On the bright side, this may discourage scalpers. On the downside, the hardcore scalpers will work around this, but the hardcore pricematchers/returners here will probably get flagged. And hopefully these guys don't get hacked...
Old 01-02-15, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 227 Likes on 183 Posts

I realize this thread is 4 years old, but I could swear this has been going on for years before that even. I know Wal-Mart tracks with a driver's license, as well as Target. I don't return very much, so I've never been warned.
Old 01-02-15, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

But they've usually only required a driver's license if you return without receipt, right? I can understand tracking and putting limits on that. But with a valid receipt? That seems new to me, at least at TRU. I know Target does not require ID (much less scanning it into the system, maybe only for a quick validation check for credit cards) when returning with receipt, at least not yet.
Old 01-02-15, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

I think limiting the amount you can return with receipts is a bit overboard. I have had to return a few things after having purchased them and if it came to me going to return and being denied despite having a receipt then I will be a tad more than pissed. I can completely understand limiting someone that is coming in to wipe out some new Skylanders to try and scalp them to only return them a week or two later. However, to stop legitimate purchases to be returned is something that has not say well with me since they started this license scanning/tracking business.
Old 01-03-15, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
But they've usually only required a driver's license if you return without receipt, right?

Correct. I just did a return at both WM & Target. With a receipt, Target requires absolutely nothing and WM only makes you sign for it without checking your driver's license. My signature is such chicken scratch that there is no way that Wally could decipher my name.
Old 01-06-15, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
I can completely understand limiting someone that is coming in to wipe out some new Skylanders to try and scalp them to only return them a week or two later. However, to stop legitimate purchases to be returned is something that has not say well with me since they started this license scanning/tracking business.
The people getting caught by this are the ones that buy stuff like new releases cheap to try and flip on ebay/amazon and then returning what they can't sell. They can do it week after week with tons of merchandise because they aren't ever really out any money since they return what they can't get rid of.
Old 01-06-15, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
The people getting caught by this are the ones that buy stuff like new releases cheap to try and flip on ebay/amazon and then returning what they can't sell. They can do it week after week with tons of merchandise because they aren't ever really out any money since they return what they can't get rid of.
You would think they could at least put some kind of purchase limit in place to prevent stuff like what's posted in the GoG Blu ray steelbook thread. Because with this system, presumably if you return a big ticket item (defect, gift, whatever) you get flagged the same as if you bought dozens and dozens of the same Blu Ray to flip.
Old 01-06-15, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think it takes a good amount of returns over a period of time before you get flagged, otherwise people would get hit around the holidays when they're returning things to get the best prices on presents.