Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

DVD Planet (physical store) shuttered!

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-11, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

I usually swing by their Huntington Beach store about once every other month, mostly to get Criterions which they usually have from about 30%-40% off. And to my surprise, "out of business".

I remember this being Ken Crane's laser disc store from back in the day, and then "dvdplanet" (before the site) when they phased out laser discs. It used to get pretty crowded too. But I guess things had died down quite a bit over the last couple years, so the writing was on the wall. They had shitty stock and didn't get in a lot of new releases, so I guess people just went to amazon. Oh well, it was nice to have an all-dvd/blu-ray store to browse through, but, as with Best Buy giving less floor space to them, I guess this is just the next step in the death of physical media.
Old 02-03-11, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: DVD Planet (physical store) shuttered!

I wonder if the web site will be around much longer. It seems like they haven't had a sale, decent or otherwise, in a couple of years. They used to be the go-to site a few years ago for Criterions, but the B & N 50% sales have rendered them pretty much obsolete.
Old 02-03-11, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Damn that sucks.

I used to visit there any time I was down in Orange County visiting friends. Great store.
Old 02-03-11, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought Dvdplanet was owned by the same company as Deepdiscountdvd? Never really heard anything about Dvdplanet when DDD was taken over last fall. Maybe the physical store were seperate from the online one? I think its been about 2 years since a dvdplanet order and last summer since DDD.