Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Is Deep Discount DVD still reliable?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Is Deep Discount DVD still reliable?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-11, 01:17 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Is Deep Discount DVD still reliable?

I'm not sure if I'm suppose to send the package back? Has some New Zealand thing on the top.Do i give it to the post office to send back or get charged to send it back.

Last edited by ScarfacePacino; 04-27-11 at 03:21 AM.
Old 04-28-11, 09:21 PM

I'm a first time customer who is about to find out if their customer service is good or bad.........made my first ever orders from them during the Synapse bogo sale. My second of four shipments arrived with a DVD with a cracked and damaged case and stuff rattling around inside of it. Contacted them to see what the return/exchange/replace policy is. No reply back yet.

Five DVD's in the shipment. The other four DVD's looked fine. The shipping box they arrived in looked fine. The damaged DVD was in the middle of the stack of five.......which really makes me wonder if the person who packed/handled the order already knew/had seen it was damaged.
Old 04-29-11, 08:15 AM
RDR
Cool New Member

Deepdiscountdvds used to be a great place to deal with, low prices, items always in stock, free shipping, always packed thoroughly to keep items safe. Then they became Deepdiscount. Since then prices have gone up significantly, I have yet to get a complete order (sometimes items get delayed, other times completely cancelled later), have gotten hit with shipping when buying specials, and received cds/dvds with damaged packaging often floating loose within the damaged packaging. I used to recommend them to everyone, since the change I have yet to recommend them to anyone.
Old 04-29-11, 06:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

One thing I've always done with any of the vendors when needing to send back damaged goods is to ask for a return shipping label. Most won't give one without asking first. I figure its their business and they packed it and chose the shipping so they should standby paying for return receipt when things don't work out. So far I've never been denied.

Unfortunately, especially in multi-disk sets, with DD they usually won't send out a replacement until receiving the danaged one. Amazon, on the other hand, usually sends one out right away so you can wait and build a complete set if the set is known to be damage prone.
Old 05-03-11, 08:44 AM

I was just looking at my list of internet purchases for this year, and realized that in the last five months or so I've ordered from DD only twice, for a grand total of $36. Formerly I would have spent a hundred at least. While DD's service has always been okay, its elevated price structure has turned it into an also-ran among online DVD dealers--certainly in my case. It used to be the top of the heap. Now the name "Deep Discount" is just a joke.
Old 05-13-11, 02:15 PM

I used to use DD for many years, but yeah the prices have gone up. However, I gave em a shot. I ordered a BD on 5/10, they handed it off in Irvine, CA, DHL picked it up, passed off to the post office in NJ
yesterday and I got it today; Long Island (east of NYC). All for 99 cents postage. I'm impressed. Best Buy uses some lame ass service called Streamlite and it takes a week or more just to come from Ohio. So, I'd say shop carefully, compare prices, click to see if they have it in stock and give them a try if the price is right

Last edited by mw390; 05-13-11 at 02:21 PM. Reason: grammatical error
Old 05-13-11, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Deep Discount just emailed me a code for $10 off my next purchase, no minimum. Thumbs up. And before anyone asks, it's a unique code.
Old 05-13-11, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I still use them. They had problems for awhile but they seem to be back on track. BTW, if you can't find anything, I'll take the coupon off your hands.
Old 05-13-11, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Kory
Deep Discount just emailed me a code for $10 off my next purchase, no minimum. Thumbs up. And before anyone asks, it's a unique code.
I received the same email, which is surprising because they just sent me one of these a couple months ago. If you have multiple email addresses (or just start a new one), I think it would be beneficial to start another DD account and hope you get sent multiple codes in the future.

Kory, let me know if you find any really good deals and I'll do the same.
Old 05-25-11, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I ordered Rituals from them Sunday, shipped Monday and got it today. That's the quickest delivery I think I've ever had from DD!

P.S.-Small flyer in my order said the 25% off sale is from June 2 - 19. The code on it is Summer11.
Old 05-26-11, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There are a few Tokyopop titles I'm trying to pick up while I still can. Amazon already lists them as out-of-print, so I decided to try DD for the first time in about year. They had everything I was looking for at decent prices, so I placed the order. Half of it showed up within a few days, but two weeks later I'm still waiting for the rest. To add to my frustration, the order page lists the whole thing as "open," even the items I've already received, so I have no way of knowing if the other stuff as shipped or not.
Old 05-26-11, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Paul1957
I ordered Rituals from them Sunday, shipped Monday and got it today. That's the quickest delivery I think I've ever had from DD!

P.S.-Small flyer in my order said the 25% off sale is from June 2 - 19. The code on it is Summer11.

Does the 25% off count for both DVD and Blu-rays?
Old 05-26-11, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ericmylad
Does the 25% off count for both DVD and Blu-rays?
Offer valid only on select DVDs, Blu-rays and other items. Just like last time items on sale will have the 25% tag on them.
Old 07-01-11, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

I just made my first order in along time and it shipped from Carson,CA. What up with that? I thought they were still located in Illinois.
Old 07-01-11, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts

Carson, CA was the central hub for Wherehouse Records (and DVDs) for the longest time. I believe the group that owns DeepDiscountDVD bought out DVDPlanet and Wherehouse and now owns all three, but still continues to use the different names. They probably send out product from whatever distribution center has it in stock and is closest to the customer.

By the way, during the recent Deep Discount sale, I received everything that I ordered within one week of the order date. Looks like the company is getting things sorted out and improving itself. Now, if the prices would just be a little better.
Old 07-03-11, 02:01 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

They still suck. I ordered 3 items from their last sale over 2 weeks ago and nada. I suspect I'll get a cancellation notice any time now...
Old 07-03-11, 06:05 PM

I ordered a couple titles on the final day of their Summer sale, they shipped this past Monday and arrived in yesterday's mail. No complaints.
Old 07-05-11, 04:16 PM

Just wanted to add my 2 cents. Count me as one of the people who used to order from DDD (when it used to be DDD anyway) regularly. Not so much as of late. However, I did place 2 orders back in May. Both shipped and arrived in less than a week. I also placed an order during their 25% off sale. The item said "ships in 5-10 days". 2 days later, they cancelled it. When I called and asked why, they said they weren't sure if they would ever get stock back in. The item was gone from their website the next day. I ended up ordering it from Amazon for about the same price.

Today, I look at my order history for the hell of it. Not only do the 2 orders from May still show as "open", the item they emailed me stating it was cancelled still shows as "open". Item is also back on their website but says ships in 5-10 days. While they seem to be getting better, it seems they still have some internal issues. I can only wonder if that cancelled item will eventually show up on my doorstep...........
Old 07-07-11, 09:41 PM

I ordered 5 DVDs for DDD on 28 June.

The prices on the discs were pretty good. 4 Criterion discs: 2 @ $17 and the other two under between $20 and $23.
I also got Fantomas from KINDO video for $16.
Basically, 5 discs for $95.
When they're Criterion and KINO this is a great deal.

Then I started reading the posts here and got paranoid. Later, I even tried to cancel the order or part of it but then I got a notice that it had already shipped.
All 5 DVDs arrived today. Perfect. Packed well. etc. etc.
So, Deep Discount DVD seems okay to me.
Had it not been for the holiday I would have got them sooner.

Alan aka jettblackberryx aka junkcultureboy aka alan.bryan2112
Old 07-09-11, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

My recent orders indicate to be careful and pay more attention.

I ordered twice during the 25% sale. First order shipped together. 2nd did a partial ship and due to the way I paid for the order (virtual CC specifically for use at DD) the last item was cancelled. I had loaded the VCC with enough for the order plus a few $$ to allow for a "temp" charge. They initially processed the entire amount as the "temp" charge so when the partial order shipped the correct price for those titles was charged... *but* this used towards the limit I'd applied so when the final title was ready to ship there wasn't enough for it's temp charge *plus* the final processing. They simply cancelled the order when the charge would not go through. I got *no* notification there was an issue which might have allowed me to fix it and still be shipped. Keep in mind that I do this all the time with amazon and have *zero* problems. If the amount on the card drops too low for an order amazon lets me know they are having a problem, I up the amount and re-authorize the card. Order goes through. On this one... *fail* on DD. Although I've learned from this and keep more on their VCC when I order and now have to watch more closely in case an order partial ships. And this cancelled portion of the order *still* shows "open" on their site. Of course I also have an order that I received over a year ago *still* showing to be "open".

Their web site is one of the worst out there - browsing, searching, wishlist, updating, etc. is *all* slow and buggy. They can't even seem to alphabitize searches/lists properly. I've sent several complaints about the way it functions and all I ever get is a polite "Thanks for your feedback. We'll get it to the correct department." email.

That said. Shipping times are absolutely horrible since the new owners took over. When stuff shipped out of IL I'd get an order in 7-10 days. This *includes* their internal processing. Now it's more like 2-3 *weeks*. Most orders just sit there for about a week before they get shipped. They use DHL which takes up to a week to get to USPS and then they'll have it for up to another week! Watching the tracking I've seen *one* package go through a "sorting facility" up to 4(!!) times before it leaves that facility! I fully understand that they use Media Mail which can take much longer but it's worse, I feel, due to the use of DHL as an intermediary shipper.

So far, everything has been packaged fairly well. I received one DVD in a self-sealing bubble package. It was a bit large but protected fairly well. My last shipment came in a box (4 DVDs). So far this year I've not received anything in that horrible plastic tray in a thin plastic shipper.

Will I use them again? Yes, but *never* for anything I want in under 3 weeks.
Old 07-09-11, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

I ordered 8 DVDs on the second to the last day of their extended sale (free shipping option), got a shipping notice 2 days later, then got my DVDs (in a regular box) Wednesday with no floaters. There was a 4th of July holiday in there, too. Based on my experience only, I have to say yes, they are still reliable.
Old 07-11-11, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Well... the "cancelled" DVD from that order I referenced arrived today. There is *no* current charge, temp or otherwise, for this DVD on the VCC I used. Looks like I'll be watching the charges for a few days...
Old 07-26-11, 04:16 AM

I used to order from Deep Discount as they usually had the lowest prices on items. That made it worth the slow shipping times. Now that they've raised their prices, I don't really see a point considering there are other sites (Amazon, B&N) with competitively placed prices and better service.
Old 08-03-11, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've definitely noticed an improvement both in the packaging of the DVDs I've ordered from them - as well as in the shipping times. They've also revamped their website about 3 or 4 days ago and it seems to be easier to use as well.
I have good memories of the site and hope this is an upward trend.
Old 08-08-11, 07:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am happy that they now give you a tracking number when they ship your DVDs. I ordered a DVD 4 days ago, and it just arrived today, and I used standard shipping.

But two DVD box sets that I ordered on July 28 (with standard shipping) has not come in the mail yet. I checked the tracking number and it said the package was "PROCESSED THROUGH SORT FACILITY" in Des Moines, IA at 2:48 PM CT on 8/4/2011. It has been like this for 4 days. I looked at the bottom of the tracking number's page and it said under "service": SM Media Mail Budget. I don't know how long it takes to ship 2 DVD box sets using Media Mail, but it shouldn't take this long.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.