Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Before i disput a buy on eBay...

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Before i disput a buy on eBay...

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-10, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts
Re: Before i disput a buy on eBay...

Originally Posted by JZ1276
It's almost like I can sell a used car with no keys, take a picture of the car, and then tell the buyer "you didnt ask if it came with the keys" after he bought it so that makes it OK.
Depends on the venue for the sale. If you're buying off a lot, then yes you should expect keys. If you're buying from a private seller who makes no mention of keys then it's your responsibility to ask before entering the transaction. Your seller may be of the mind that you can work that out with a locksmith later. If you're going to be buying things, you have to think of these things.

There's a reason packages have to tell you whether batteries are required and/or included: because once upon a time, people bought electronics and pitched a fit that they "didn't know" they had to buy batteries in order to operate said electronics. You can expect items sold as new to include such clarifications, but on the secondary market there are no such obligations.
Old 12-18-10, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OmahaStar
I believe I've found the auction here.

At first, I would have agreed with ben12 about it not being included unless it specifically says it, but the seller does state this:

If there is no power cord, it cannot possibly work properly. That, at a minimum, should have been included and (in my opinion) you have a right to have that included. Obviously, the seller has a power cord, because he claims it works properly and therefore must have tested it.

The manual, however, I don't agree with. Nowhere does it say the manual would be included, and you cannot possibly expect it to be on something that is 17 years old.

And the same thing with the remote. It is "old school" as you mentioned, and sometimes you just have to walk across the room and change the channel on something that is "old school." Most universal remotes would easily be able to handle something like this.

To sum it up .... Yes to the power cord, no to the rest, unless it says it's included in the auction.

I totally agree with the above.
Old 12-18-10, 08:53 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by troystiffler
First, the guy doesn't look like he sells a lot. But he does look like a surplus/bankruptcy sales guy. Unless he's selling his personal unit, you can't expect him to be 100% accurate.

Second, this is why I don't really sell consumer electronics. It's a HUGE pain, for this exact reason.

Lastly, this is why I clearly state "includes all/only item(s) pictured" in all 6600 of my listings. Problem solved.

And sniping is not against eBay's rules. Their German site banned them. But it's not against eBay rules.
He states on the auction page that he's been selling for 15 yrs or something like that so he knows what he's doing. He also has a ton of feedback.

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Depends on the venue for the sale. If you're buying off a lot, then yes you should expect keys. If you're buying from a private seller who makes no mention of keys then it's your responsibility to ask before entering the transaction. Your seller may be of the mind that you can work that out with a locksmith later. If you're going to be buying things, you have to think of these things.

There's a reason packages have to tell you whether batteries are required and/or included: because once upon a time, people bought electronics and pitched a fit that they "didn't know" they had to buy batteries in order to operate said electronics. You can expect items sold as new to include such clarifications, but on the secondary market there are no such obligations.
Well, obviously I am talking about eBay as the venue for the sale. You really cannot compare batteries to a remote control. With alot of electronic components, you NEED the remote to use most of the functions that arent on the component itself.
Old 12-18-10, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, obviously I am talking about eBay as the venue for the sale. You really cannot compare batteries to a remote control. With alot of electronic components, you NEED the remote to use most of the functions that arent on the component itself.
Did anyone pay attention in language arts class? You can, in fact, compare any two subjects. We can draw a comparison between your purchase and Michelle Pfeiffer's Catwoman costume if we're so inclined. And to demonstrate how willfully blind you were to my initial observation: good luck operating ANY function of something that requires batteries without them.
Old 12-18-10, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

He states on the auction page that he's been selling for 15 yrs or something like that so he knows what he's doing. He also has a ton of feedback.
Which means you need to practice up on buying since he knows how to sell. I've sold used items in the past and listed what was included with it. I'm not going to list what's not included because if I forget one thing that's normally included, I've opened myself up to a dispute. This is especially true if it's an old piece of equipment that I never bought new and/or don't have an item list.

You are the reason ads have to say, "toy does not actually fly", or "attractive model not included".

For me, common sense says that when you look at an item and it says what's included, that means that's all that's included. The only time I ever see an item for sale listing something being missing is at a store because the box lists what's available. Those are the times I can understand listing everything that could possibly not come with it. When there's no listing of what's included, they then put a note on with what's inside.

To make a long story short, read the description of what you're going to buy and don't assume anything.
Old 12-18-10, 04:46 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Seller was in the wrong for listing the item incorrectly, but buyer was in the wrong for not doing his/her homework prior to bidding. All buyer had to do was Google the model# to find information on it, or even look at the pictures provided in the auction (fer cryin' out loud). Before bidding on this item, I would've researched it first, asked questions, found out what, if anything, was included (buyer had a right to assume the power cord was included), looked at the seller's feedback rating (98.9% is NOT a good feedback rating at Ebay). Sure the seller misrepresented the item but the buyer failed in every way imaginable to research this before bidding.

This whole auction was an EPIC FAIL. -kd5-
Old 12-18-10, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kd5
looked at the seller's feedback rating (98.9% is NOT a good feedback rating at Ebay).

This whole auction was an EPIC FAIL. -kd5-
If the seller's feedback rating of 98.9% is not good, then the buyer's feedback rating of 96% is even worse!

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d..._None_ViewLink
Old 12-18-10, 05:44 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by DeepSleep
If the seller's feedback rating of 98.9% is not good, then the buyer's feedback rating of 96% is even worse!

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d..._None_ViewLink
I never buy anything from anyone on Ebay with less than about a 99.7% positive feedback rating (and I examine the negatives VERY closely). Anything less than that is asking for trouble. -kd5-
Old 12-18-10, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers

You are the reason ads have to say, "toy does not actually fly", or "attractive model not included".
Now that's a little ridiculous. I'm not dragging this out anymore because it is getting pointless. Bottom line is this... when I sell (whether it is on e bay or Amazon) I will list anything not included that originally came with the item. It is called honesty, and it is to avoid situations like this one. I expect the same courtesy in return when buying. Granted, I should of specifically asked if the remote, manual, and power cord were included and I'm stupid for not. Even still, it's dishonest to not mention it. The seller is also at fault for calling the item a receiver when most of you clearly said it is not.
Thanks for all of your input on this.
Old 12-19-10, 12:06 AM

I'm stupid
At least you're finally realizing what everyone reading this thread is thinking. But admitting it is your first step. I encourage you to keep us posted on your progress towards becoming more educated and less "stupid."
Old 12-19-10, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by OmahaStar
At least you're finally realizing what everyone reading this thread is thinking. But admitting it is your first step. I encourage you to keep us posted on your progress towards becoming more educated and less "stupid."
You're a moron. Do you realize backing up his selling methods and being tolerant of them is the reason ebay is the way it is?
And I'm not "finally" realizing. I realized it as soon as I opened the package and didnt see the remote or power cord. Again, just because I didnt ask does not mean I'm in the wrong.
Anyway, enjoy your ignorance smart ass.
Old 12-19-10, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you realize backing up his selling methods and being tolerant of them is the reason ebay is the way it is?
Do you realize there is a possibility that you're the one who is wrong?

The fact is, other than audio enthusiasts most people don't know the difference between receivers and integrated amplifiers. The seller, like a lot of sellers on eBay, probably isn't an A/V expert. Chalk it up to an innocent mistake rather than a devious attempt to mislead you.

As far as the cord and remote go, $10 and a trip to Radio Shack should solve both problems. The power cord is a standard design for A/V components.
Old 12-19-10, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty

The fact is, other than audio enthusiasts most people don't know the difference between receivers and integrated amplifiers. The seller, like a lot of sellers on eBay, probably isn't an A/V expert. Chalk it up to an innocent mistake rather than a devious attempt to mislead you.
I maintain that the buyer was wrong because he had an entire seven days to discover this auction and ask any questions he wished. Coming in at the last minute like he did eliminated that opportunity.

That said, if the seller was in fact unfamiliar with the item he was selling, then he should have claimed that in his description. From time to time I've sold things that I didn't really know all that well and was frankly too lazy to research. My listings included a disclaimer such as, "I am unfamiliar with [say, the world of Harry Potter, so you probably know more about this listing than I do. Still, I will be happy to answer any questions you might have to the best of my ability." Had the seller done something so simple, he might have had a stronger claim on "an innocent mistake." (Though, in this case, it appears at face value that's what happened.)

As far as the cord and remote go, $10 and a trip to Radio Shack should solve both problems. The power cord is a standard design for A/V components.
I suspect this is what the seller had to do, and why he didn't include a power cord. The original is long gone; he may not have even been the original owner. Had he provided a replacement cord, he'd have likely added that $10 to the minimum bid to compensate himself for buying a new cord. In his mind, he saved you $10 because you might have had your own replacement cord lying around in a bin somewhere.

This is, of course, mere speculation on my part. Maybe the guy has a power cord fetish and knew the moment he decided to sell you the unit that you weren't getting the cord. My point is, all anyone has to go on regarding an eBay auction is the face value of the listing, any correspondence between buyer and seller, and in this case, we're relying entirely on your account of events to know whatever we know. If there's room enough in what you've told us for this much disagreement, then surely you can see how it is that you and the seller weren't in agreement about the transaction?
Old 12-19-10, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty

Sure I've thought theres a possibility I'm wrong. I'm sure the seller didnt purposely call it a receiver knowing it technically isnt. I'm also sure he purposely left out the remote and power cord not being included in the description to get higher bids. Thats called dishonesty so to me I am not wrong.

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
I maintain that the buyer was wrong because he had an entire seven days to discover this auction and ask any questions he wished. Coming in at the last minute like he did eliminated that opportunity.

That said, if the seller was in fact unfamiliar with the item he was selling, then he should have claimed that in his description. From time to time I've sold things that I didn't really know all that well and was frankly too lazy to research. My listings included a disclaimer such as, "I am unfamiliar with [say, the world of Harry Potter, so you probably know more about this listing than I do. Still, I will be happy to answer any questions you might have to the best of my ability." Had the seller done something so simple, he might have had a stronger claim on "an innocent mistake." (Though, in this case, it appears at face value that's what happened.)
I suspect this is what the seller had to do, and why he didn't include a power cord. The original is long gone; he may not have even been the original owner. Had he provided a replacement cord, he'd have likely added that $10 to the minimum bid to compensate himself for buying a new cord. In his mind, he saved you $10 because you might have had your own replacement cord lying around in a bin somewhere.

This is, of course, mere speculation on my part. Maybe the guy has a power cord fetish and knew the moment he decided to sell you the unit that you weren't getting the cord. My point is, all anyone has to go on regarding an eBay auction is the face value of the listing, any correspondence between buyer and seller, and in this case, we're relying entirely on your account of events to know whatever we know. If there's room enough in what you've told us for this much disagreement, then surely you can see how it is that you and the seller weren't in agreement about the transaction?
Once again, I didnt jump in last minute and discover the auction right before it ended. I had it on my watch list. I do believe the seller made an innocent mistake in mislabeling the listing. Purposely not saying the remote and power cord werent included is not an honest mistake though.
You guys are much more tolerant of this "dont ask dont tell" way of selling. To me it's just a dishonest and sneaky way of getting higher bids.

Last edited by JZ1276; 12-19-10 at 05:22 PM.
Old 12-19-10, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Once again, I didnt jump in last minute and discover the auction right before it ended. I had it on my watch list. I do believe the seller made an innocent mistake in mislabeling the listing. Purposely not saying the remote and power cord werent included is not an honest mistake though.
You come off better in this if you go with "I came to it last minute." Otherwise, you have absolutely no excuse for not asking the seller, "What specifically is included?"
Old 12-19-10, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think this thread has a taken a turn downhill.. I think the OP clearly got the answer he wanted ...and then some...