Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Netflix raising Prices -- Offers new Streaming Only Plan

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Netflix raising Prices -- Offers new Streaming Only Plan

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-11, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 601 Likes on 434 Posts
Re: Netflix raising Prices -- Offers new Streaming Only Plan

We are separating unlimited DVDs by mail and unlimited streaming into two separate plans to better reflect the costs of each. Now our members have a choice: a streaming only plan, a DVD only plan, or both.

Your current $24.99 a month membership for unlimited streaming and unlimited DVDs (including Blu-ray access) will be split into 2 distinct plans:

***Plan 1: Unlimited Streaming (no DVDs) for $7.99 a month
***Plan 2: Unlimited DVDs (including Blu-ray), 4 out at-a-time (no streaming)
**************for $26.99 a month

Your price for getting both of these plans will be $34.98 a month ($7.99 + $26.99). You don't need to do anything to continue your memberships for both unlimited streaming and unlimited DVDs.

These prices will start for charges on or after September 1, 2011.

You can easily change or cancel your unlimited streaming plan, unlimited DVD plan, or both, by going to the Plan Change page in Your Account.

Originally Posted by Chad
If they commit resources to beefing up their DVD and Blu-ray selections then it *might* be worth the extra cost. The one thing that would keep me at my current grandfathered 4-out plan w/ Blu-ray (increasing from 24.99 to $34.98) is whether or not they spend more to bring back the numerous DVD's that have been relegated to the "saved" section. And that especially goes towards upping the current severely lacking selection of catalog titles on Blu-ray. Otherwise, there'll be some downgrading too.
I have that same plan and doubt I'll keep it. It's too bad that people who have been on this for more then ten years get the shaft like that.

Originally Posted by statcat
after August I'm not a customer anymore
I'll just downgrade to streaming only.

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
I was pissed when I got that email this morning.
Me too.
Old 07-12-11, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I think part of the problem with catalog BDs is that a lot of them are getting retailer exclusives.
Old 07-12-11, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was on the unlimited streaming with 1 out (blu). I'll just go with the streaming and rent from redbox. I would've considered to still rent from Netflix if they atleast offered a "discount" should you choose to rent and stream.
Old 07-12-11, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My current plan is 1 DVD/unlimited streaming. I will probably keep it.

Like many others, I blame the movie studios for the price increases. I also blame the studios for the lack of improvement in streaming content (still loads of garbage and relatively few quality films/shows, especially new ones). The poor selection bothers me more than the pricing.
Old 07-12-11, 09:36 PM

I'm going with streaming only with Netflix and using Blockbuster for DVD/Blu-ray (1 at a time), at least I'll get new releases on time!
Old 07-12-11, 11:12 PM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm done, I quit...

FUCK YOU NETFLIX! Now all they are doing is appeasing shareholders because the number of new subscribers has plateaued. I'm not surprised that they are doing this and it will only get more expensive every year. Unless enough people boycott and revolt. That probably won't happen, but oh well, they won't be getting my money any more.

Their new slogan should be: "Netflix, where you pay more and get less every year."

I'll come back when they lower the price for the DVD with Streaming plan back to $10... until then I'll try out this Amazon streaming thing (Prime member).

It was fun while it lasted Netflix now go fuck yourself.
Old 07-12-11, 11:17 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Here in Canada, we've only ever had the streaming option for $7.99. No mailed DVDs, so this doesn't affect me. That said, they are expecting WAY too much from users who do want to keep both services.
Old 07-12-11, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Fortunately for me, by the time their e-mail had spooled into my inbox, it was old news so I didn't get upset by it.

I'm not mad at Netflix for raising prices. I think even though they originally sold it as "streaming at no extra charge!" a lot of us knew that the expenses were rising quickly, though stuff like the Spacey deal was self-inflicted.

What annoys me is what people have already said: the size of the increase and the attempt to spin it as a good thing. $5 increase on $18 is not insignificant. I already lowered my plan from four discs at a time (grandfathered) to two, which is inconvenient but not too bad: I usually try to rent one disc for everybody (Morning Glory) and one for me (Inglourious Basterds) Honestly, the four-disc plan made it really easy to hold onto a disc for a long time instead of keeping them circulating.

I'll probably drop streaming since I myself don't use it that often but my kid uses it a fair amount so we might have to negotiate. I guess I could drop BD too. I do have Amazon prime but it won't stream to my 360.

Maybe this will be incentive to organize my unwatched-physical-media collection.

I hope they take a hit on Wall Street since that's what they seem to care about.
Old 07-12-11, 11:33 PM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

Netflix Blog has been flooded with 5000+ comments.

http://blog.netflix.com/2011/07/netf...plans-and.html

Netflix's announcement on Facebook has 20,000+ comments:

http://www.facebook.com/netflix/posts/10150234431168870

Last edited by TheBigDave; 07-12-11 at 11:38 PM.
Old 07-12-11, 11:57 PM

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Here's the bitch of it for me, regarding streaming only. I've run across a lot of TV series that were mostly available to stream, but would inevitably have a couple of episodes that are "DVD only." So if I go to streaming only, I'm screwed if I want to watch one of those series.
Old 07-13-11, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by hal9000

It was fun while it lasted Netflix now go fuck yourself.
Old 07-13-11, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Would it have made any difference to any of you who are upset and cancelling if Netflix just made it clear from the start that due to increased overhead/licensing fees from the studios for streaming content, that they are forced to increase prices?

I know that's the main reason why and I know alot of people on this board knows. But, I think the poorly worded press releases/blog posts gave alot of people the wrong impression. Yeah I know it's a hefty increase, but it was bound to happen sooner or later if you have been following the amount of content Netflix had acquired in the last year or so and the hundreds of millions of dollars they are spending.

I know they couldn't keep charging the same prices with the increased amount of spending they have done. It's going to be interesting to see how much Netflix spends renewing their deals with Starz and Sony. Some speculation on the Internet says that Starz and Sony could ask for Billions of dollars for a renewal.
Old 07-13-11, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't get the bitterness towards Netflix some people are spewing on the net. Prices raise over time. That happens. That's commerce. You're either are cool with it, and think the service is worth it, or not. I don't think Netflix is doing anyone a disservice here. Not yet, anyway.

For me, I absolutely adore streaming, so I'll stick with that, and dump the disc. Even though the streaming options aren't as great as the discs catalog netflix offers, I'm much more likely to just watch something streaming, than to deal with a disc. It's such a silly thing, but the ease if streaming is just where it's at for me. I've had The Mechanic on blu-ray for about 3 weeks now, and had a movie before that for about a month and a half. I'll get the few new releases in interested in from redbox I suppose. Since I only have a day to watch those movies, I'd be more likely to watch those in a timely fashion anyways.
Old 07-13-11, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I'm on 1-out (BD) and pay $12 which will be $18 on 9/1. A $6 a month increase is absurd beyond belief.

Increased catalog/streaming prices or not, they are fucking nuts. Time to burn through what I can until September.

Goodbye Netflix.

Originally Posted by boredsilly
I don't get the bitterness towards Netflix some people are spewing on the net. Prices raise over time. That happens. That's commerce. You're either are cool with it, and think the service is worth it, or not. I don't think Netflix is doing anyone a disservice here. Not yet, anyway.
There is a difference between raising prices and ass-raping. Hopefully that $6 extra dollars includes a small tube of Vaseline a month.
Old 07-13-11, 08:27 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Netflix raped my adulthood.
Old 07-13-11, 08:29 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

I plan on dropping the streaming... If something comes up thats available on streaming like a TV show I want to watch, I'll just resubscribe to it. But for now, I'll save the $8
Old 07-13-11, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One question I have that I haven't seen anywhere: if you drop the DVD plan, what happens to your queue? Is it deleted?
Old 07-13-11, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
There is a difference between raising prices and ass-raping. Hopefully that $6 extra dollars includes a small tube of Vaseline a month.
It seems to me Netflix has done that thing where they have a good service, but charge less for it than they should to attract people. But when they actually charge what it's worth, people feel taken advantage of. The streaming service was a nice bonus at first, and something I would have never paid for, but now? I think the service is more than worth what they're asking, so I get why they want to separate the subscriptions the way they are.
Old 07-13-11, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I was reading the comments on facebook and it seems Netflix was deleting them as fast as people were posting last night. Apparently they were up to 45,000 posts, now they're down to 28,500.

That's pretty weak right there.

Just imagine a company losing 30k customers in the blink of an eye. On the low end, that's over a quarter a million a month in lost revenue.

I know dropping one service or the other more or less keeps you in the same ballpark price-wise, but I'm sure that's what they want. I'm dumping the whole service. I have no loyalty to them.
Old 07-13-11, 08:47 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

So we get less for paying more. No thanks, Netflix. You lost me as a customer. I can rent a dozen blu-rays from Redbox cheaper than these prices.
Old 07-13-11, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
Here in Canada, we've only ever had the streaming option for $7.99. No mailed DVDs, so this doesn't affect me. That said, they are expecting WAY too much from users who do want to keep both services.
Maybe they don't WANT users to keep both services?
Old 07-13-11, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I'm am a little surprised they raised the prices for blu-rays/dvds, not surprised at all that they are separating streaming from the whole deal -- Netflix streaming wasn't a big deal when it launched a few years ago, it was novel at best, but now the studios know it's worth something and want their share.

I currently subscribe to their unlimited streaming/0 disc plan.

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
One question I have that I haven't seen anywhere: if you drop the DVD plan, what happens to your queue? Is it deleted?
You lose access to your DVD Queue when you're on the Instant Only plan. I'm not sure if it's saved and you just can't view it (but still there in case you sign back up for DVD) or what.

Last edited by RichC2; 07-13-11 at 09:35 AM.
Old 07-13-11, 09:36 AM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

"Dear Netflix" is trending on Twitter.

http://twitter.com/#!/search/%22Dear%20Netflix%22
Old 07-13-11, 09:52 AM
Political Exile

My cost went down, thanks Netflix!
Old 07-13-11, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
I plan on dropping the streaming... If something comes up thats available on streaming like a TV show I want to watch, I'll just resubscribe to it. But for now, I'll save the $8
That what I well do, drop streaming and just rent DVD only, cause I cannot afford to spent $15 a month on both. Bad move, Nexflix.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.