Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Fry's Electronics doesn't accept coupons???

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 11-07-10, 12:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went to Fry's today to purchase Toy Story 3 Blu-Ray/DVD combo with Disney's $8 coupon in hand, intending to purchase all three volumes of Toy Story since the first two volumes of Toy Story would also be marked down $10 each with purchase of Toy Story 3. Was denied by the clerk at register...stating my shock, I said, "It's a MANUFACTURER'S COUPON...", she replies, "Nope, sorry, we don't accept ANY COUPONS, would you like me to get the manager?" I reply in the affirmative, and while she is gone, I notice that I was being charged full price for the theatrical release of Grindhouse, even though that had signage with it being on sale for $19.99.

She returns, denying the coupon again, and I ask her about the Grindhouse blu-ray, and she says, "well, you'll have to go get the sign, with no small amount of snide sarcasm...being put off by the entire experience, I walked out, told her I didn't like her attitude, as I had been nothing but surprised, no rudeness at all, let alone directed at her...UGH.

Anyone know about Fry's non-acceptance policy of coupons, manufacturer's or otherwise??? I was floored that a major retailer that carries a large Disney selection would refuse their coupons...WOW.
Old 11-07-10, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: Fry's Electronics doesn't accept coupons???

Sounds right. Fry's is a 'no, fuck you' retailer. They don't worry about that "five star service" stuff. It's more like 'take it or leave it'.
Old 11-07-10, 07:43 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Fry's still has some of the overall best prices. They just hardly ever accept coupons. If you can get past that part, their sales are some of the best.
Old 11-07-10, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by trespoochies
Fry's still has some of the overall best prices. They just hardly ever accept coupons. If you can get past that part, their sales are some of the best.
...and with my experience, getting past the clerk being a snappy bitch, and the manager not being enough of a manager to come out and talk to a longtime customer...I've spent thousands of dollars on average each year, the past ten years, and what happened Saturday will impact that number for certain, as there are deals EVERYWHERE if you are patient.
Old 11-08-10, 07:41 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Possibly, I have just never had to deal with clerks being snappy bitches and managers not being enough of a manager. True most places will have deals EVERYWHERE if I am patient, but for the service I've gotten from them over the past 5 years or so combined with location, I'm very happy to continue going there.

Still by no means they have a right to treat you that way. That's a given for every retail store we shop at. But it happens. I'd probably be like you and just never go there again. Until there's a good sale of course.
Old 11-08-10, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by ScottsdaleSaint
Anyone know about Fry's non-acceptance policy of coupons, manufacturer's or otherwise???

Fry's and Biglots do not accept manufacturers coupons.

Generally, stores that fall into one of these categories accepts manufacturers coupons:

Grocery stores: such as Kroger, Safeway, Vons, Ralphs, etc.

Drug stores: such as Walgreens, CVS, Riteaid, etc.

Variety or Mass Market stores: such as Target, Walmart, etc.

There are exceptions, such as Toys R Us, Best Buy, etc.

Fry's and Biglots have decided not to participate probably due to the extra paperwork/handling in relation to the very tiny amount of coupon business that they would get in return. It's just a business decision.

P.S. It's been that way from the beginning when Fry's Electronics started here in California and then branched out to other states.

I guess management's thinking goes something like this: We take the $8 coupon then have to spend the time and legwork to get our $8 back + the 8 cent handling fee the manufacturer will pay us for our time and trouble. It's not worth it for us!

On the other hand, Fry's sells lots of items that come with a manufacturers rebate. Now it's the customer that has to spend the time and trouble to get the rebate and hope it doesn't get denied. Fry's management says this works for us, we sell lots of merchandise and don't have to deal with the paperwork and risk, let the customer bear the burden. It's strictly business...

Last edited by DeepSleep; 11-08-10 at 08:21 PM.
Old 11-08-10, 09:38 PM

Ymmv ...
Old 11-12-10, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemmy
...but if you're vigilant, you're likely to find something that interests you.
Yea. I just use Amazon nowadays. But Fry's had a far larger selection of DVD's and CD's than Best Buy. If I wanted a less popular DVD, they'd have it.