Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

How do chain stores calculate used prices

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-10, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know what goes into pricing used DVDs and BDs? I'm assuming it's based on the popularity of a title, how many copies they have on hand, what the disc cost new and of course the condition, but recently I've run across used discs with a very large difference in prices, all locted in stores in the same geographical area. There dosen't seem to be any rythm or reason to the pricing.

Just wondered if anyone had any info on this.
Bill
Old 10-27-10, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts
Re: How do chain stores calculate used prices

I'm pretty sure most of them also use ebay and the used sellers on Amazon. I know I still run into titles that are twice the price of the Walmart or Target bargain bins, so they're not up on everything but I do know stuff gets repriced as I have bought more than one title that had several price tags layered on top of each other. Many of them also put the date they print the pricetag, so you can see the price increase as you go back in time.
Old 10-27-10, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'd like to know too. I used to trade stuff in at FYE, but the last few times I tried (earlier this year) the offers for DVDs or even BDs was pathetic... $1 most of the time and I think $2 was the highest for a BD (Van Helsing I think). Last year I was able to get $3 each more often than not. So I've got a bunch I'd like to get rid of but haven't found a reasonable price yet, and I don't have time to waste on eBay or Craigslist for piddly amounts for DVDs or BDs. I used to be able to go to wherehouse.com and get fairly good prices on how much FYE would offer, but this last year FYE offered much less than Wherehouse.com showed. It's been at least 6 months since I've set foot in a FYE store.

My cynical answer how stores calculate used trade-in prices is this: I don't own it = worth a lot, I own it = worth very little. :-)
Old 10-28-10, 02:57 AM
Cool New Member

Dunno but I recently found a used Terminator 2: Ultimate Edition for $7.99 at FYE. That thing is Out of Print.
Old 10-28-10, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Im not sure, but this is a great bargain here in the DVD bargains forum
Old 10-28-10, 10:09 AM

True, it belongs in another forum, but I don't know how to move threads (I think you have to be a moderator or something). :-)
Old 10-28-10, 10:30 AM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

I think a lot of retailers use Amazon Marketplace (they seem to give a percentage of the cheapest price for buys). I know this to be true for Half Priced Books and one of my local resellers. Also, I think Hastings online mostly mirrors the Amazon Marketplace price on their sale items. Another local retailer just seems to have expensive price point they randomly place things in based on perceived popularity.
Old 10-28-10, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Store forum is the most appropriate place. I'll request a move from the mods.