Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Best site to buy personal checks?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-10, 05:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Yes, some people still use personal checks. Granted, I've been working on the same four boxes for about three years - but now they've run out.

Anyone bought checks recently? I usually buy 4 boxes of duplicates.
Best I have found with some quick browsing is 28.50 or so for four duplicate boxes from Checks Unlimited, with code - but that assumes I can get the 'new customer' coupon code to work [I honestly don't recall if we've ordered from them before].

Our last few batches have been from BJ's but it doesn't look like they do that anymore. The last time we looked at buying them from the bank [credit union] they were still pretty expensive. Walmart.com sells personal checks now, but after adding in 12 bucks shipping, they're not that great a deal. They do have a better deal than Checks Unlimited's regular prices, though.

Suggestions?
Old 09-28-10, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts
Re: Best site to buy personal checks?

I ususally buy from checksinthemail.com, but I only buy one box at a time, and I don't get duplicates, so I dunno how that compares to what you're getting. It takes me forever to go thru one box, as the only thing I pay with checks are my auto loan and my water bill (and any other random things that might come that don't have online pay options, like doctor bills).
Old 09-29-10, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What bank to you use? We get ours free from Chase.
Old 09-29-10, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

We're with a credit union, I can't find anything on the website about checks, I guess I might have to *shudder* talk to someone to see if they do it.
I don't use checks much - mostly for my boy's lunch money [I rarely have cash, and they charge every time you put money in electronically], but there are a few more instances when I use one.
Old 09-29-10, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

I don't know if my bank provides checks, but I like to buy them because I like to have goofy designs on my checks.
Old 09-29-10, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, I'm liking either of these, but it's a hard sell so far. We had flowers and stuff last time, my turn, right? If not something cool, at least one of the cheaper designs. Then again, of all the things to spend money customizing, checks are really one of the oddest - once you write it you don't see it anymore.

Old 09-30-10, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

I'm down to 1 check a month, so the 2 boxes of checks I bought last year will probably last me the rest of my life, unless the bank goes under or someone steals my checkbook again and I have to close the account. I've used both of the online places mentioned and had good luck with them. One of them (I can't remember which) would not give me the new customer price on a reorder, so I used the other one. They both have lots of good designs too, although I always ended up going with a "Parchment" or "Antique" style.
Old 09-30-10, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
I don't know if my bank provides checks, but I like to buy them because I like to have goofy designs on my checks.
You should check. We get designs on them too. We've had some Winnie the Pooh and Toy Story stuff before.

You'll also sometimes run across an employee that doesn't know the bank offers it, so they have to be pushed into not being lazy and asking someone that knows.