Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Dvds/Amazon/USPS

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Dvds/Amazon/USPS

Old 07-29-10, 04:14 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dvds/Amazon/USPS

Hello Friends!!

I've been ordering quite a few dvds from Amazon this past month. I always choose standard shipping which usually takes 3-5 business days by way of the post office.

A couple days ago I tracked a couple my shipments and noticed they have been dumped off to FedEx Smart post. I didn't know what that meant at first since all of my stuff comes way of USPS.

When I read online what FedEx SmartPost was, I read nothing but negative things about it. It appears that USPS takes my package from Amazon, then gives it to FedEx and then gives it back to USPS. When that's all said and done, my packages could take up to 2 weeks to get delivered.

Who do I complain to about this? Is this USPS fault or Amazon? Has anyone had a recent encounter like this?

Remember what Archie Bunker said, "You know, Edith, it's the little things that torture a person."

Pbishop69
Old 07-29-10, 04:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Dvds/Amazon/USPS

I haven't experienced this with amazon, but other online vendors I've used have shipped this way. I agree that it does seem to slow down delivery time.

If you want to express displeasure, it should be to amazon, I would assume, since they presumably choose the method of shipment.

This thread might get more attention in the store forum. Perhaps a moderator could move it there.
Old 07-29-10, 04:49 AM
Banned

U r right, I should have used the store forum. Damn!

Pbishop69
Old 07-29-10, 05:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

UPS Mail Innovations is a similar service. I think they were both solely designed to slow things down to a crawl when expecting a package.
Old 07-29-10, 07:20 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 684 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by pbishop69
U r right, I should have used the store forum.
And used grown-up words. This isn't a series of text messages.
Old 07-29-10, 07:36 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 393 Likes on 259 Posts

Amazon Customer Service telephone numbers:

http://amazoncustomerservice.blogspo...2007/12/8.html

Also (from preceding link):
Remember when calling Amazon.com customer service that you've got something in common with the representative you'll talk to on the phone. You've both been put in a crappy situation by the management of Amazon.

Amazon's decision not to put their customer service on their "Help" or "Contact Us" pages means that after you experience a problem you end up searching for their number for an unreasonable amount of time. After you finally find it, you call the number and then are put on hold for quite a while as well. Chances are, you're frustrated, angry, and at the end of your rope by the time a customer service rep answers.

But that rep is also feeling the effects of Amazon's decision. The person on the phone isn't a member of management with decision-making power. They're somebody that needed a job, and they took this one. Amazon's decision to withhold the phone number from their customers means that everybody they talk to is like you: frustrated, angry, and at the end of their rope. It's got to make their job really hard. Wouldn't it suck to have to talk to people who are pissed off all day long for eight hours a day? I'd hate to come to work!

So, when you call, try to keep in mind that you and your customer service rep are in the same boat. You can bet that they're having a terrible day.
Good luck, -kd5-
Old 07-29-10, 05:06 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Fed Ex and UPS both have deals with the post office in which the post office will pick up the packages and deliver them to a UPS/Fed EX center who then do the leg work getting the packages to whatever local area they need to go to, then they are dropped off at the local post office to be delivered by the local post man. It has been in place for years. Some how all the parties involved make money on the deal.
Old 07-29-10, 05:47 PM

How much are you paying for shipping?????? If nothing you get what you pay for..

Originally Posted by pbishop69
Hello Friends!!

I've been ordering quite a few dvds from Amazon this past month. I always choose standard shipping which usually takes 3-5 business days by way of the post office.

A couple days ago I tracked a couple my shipments and noticed they have been dumped off to FedEx Smart post. I didn't know what that meant at first since all of my stuff comes way of USPS.

When I read online what FedEx SmartPost was, I read nothing but negative things about it. It appears that USPS takes my package from Amazon, then gives it to FedEx and then gives it back to USPS. When that's all said and done, my packages could take up to 2 weeks to get delivered.

Who do I complain to about this? Is this USPS fault or Amazon? Has anyone had a recent encounter like this?

Remember what Archie Bunker said, "You know, Edith, it's the little things that torture a person."

Pbishop69
Old 07-31-10, 07:11 PM

It looks like I've had one of the few positive experiences with Smartpost. I got worried after reading this thread when my order was shipped on Thursday, but I received my package today, perfect service.
Old 08-01-10, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 130 Likes on 104 Posts

Woot uses Smartpost. Best Buy uses UPS Mail innovations. FedEx vs. UPS. Both are slow. But both seem to get to me within the delivery window quoted for the free shipping on Amazon.
Old 08-14-10, 10:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by disneyguy
How much are you paying for shipping?????? If nothing you get what you pay for..
NO, you don't "get what you pay for." Even people who shell out $80 a year for Amazon Prime are getting boned now by these crazy 3rd rate carriers. I wish everyone would stop accepting shipments that come anything but real USPS, UPS, and FedEx. That's assuming the packages show up to begin with. The point remains: boycott the shit services. Maybe if enough people keep complaining and Amazon loses enough on these jerkoff services from lost packages and refused deliveries they'll have to go back to being as good as they used to be.
Old 08-15-10, 01:42 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Viper187
NO, you don't "get what you pay for." Even people who shell out $80 a year for Amazon Prime are getting boned now by these crazy 3rd rate carriers. I wish everyone would stop accepting shipments that come anything but real USPS, UPS, and FedEx. That's assuming the packages show up to begin with. The point remains: boycott the shit services. Maybe if enough people keep complaining and Amazon loses enough on these jerkoff services from lost packages and refused deliveries they'll have to go back to being as good as they used to be.
I think the thing is that shipping cost have gone up and are going up for all 3 major carriers. I am sure Amazon is trying to keep the free shipping for orders over $25 and not raise the $80 Prime membership, but they don't want to and can't take too much of a hit on shipping unless they raise their prices on products which would result in more bitching and people shopping elsewhere. I think if the courier services sting then maybe Amazon should go back to the big three but raise Prime to $100 and free shipping to orders over $40 to lessen the effect to their bottom line.
Old 08-15-10, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 392 Likes on 279 Posts

First, Amazon now distributes from nine states. Luckily, we have one across Phoenix. So shipments arrive same-day (when they give them to a 'courrier') or next day, when given to UPS/etc.

Fed Ex Smart Post is handed to Fed Ex, not the Post Office. Fed Ex delivers it to the destination's Post Office, via their "Ground" service. the following day, the USPS delivers the item with the regular mail. It is nice (for me, at least), because I can ship up to 9 pounds for approximately $4-$7.

USPS First Class is often sent via air, just like Priority Mail. So if you pay for First Class, it arrives just as quickly as Priority Mail.