Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Newbury Comics / FYE

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Newbury Comics / FYE

Old 07-17-10, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbury Comics / FYE

I'm in the process of cleaning out my CD and DVD collection, and I was going to bring them to trade in at either FYE or Newbury Comics. I know that I'd be better off selling them on eBay or whatever, but I have SO much going on right now that it would just be easier for me to bring them to either FYE or Newbury.

Since I've never traded anything in at Newbury, I was wondering, are their buyback rates better than FYE's? Do they give you the option of cash or credit like FYE does? I know right now FYE has the deal where you get 20% more if you trade in your stuff before July 19th, but Newbury's prices are more reasonable. Then I also took into consideration that FYE has those "buy 3 get the 4th free", "buy 3 get 20% off your purchase" or "buy two, get the third half off" on their used stuff.

What I'm saying is, if you had to choose, would you trade your stuff in at FYE or Newbury?
Old 07-17-10, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Newbury Comics / FYE

Newbury Comics always give you cash , which I never understood why they don't offer credit and give a little more ?......There is a Used CD store in Cambridge MA. that does that they tell you what your total would be in cash and then credit and it's always tempting because the credit is sometimes $10 more.

I have stopped selling to Newbury Because I started feeling like they were not giving me much in value. And they don't tell you what they give you per item!
I know that FYE gives you a print out.

In the last 2 years I have been packing my stuff and selling to Second Spin, mainly because I like it that I know before hand what I'am receiving and I turn it around for store credit and believe it or not they have a better selection than Newbury at least for my tastes.

Last edited by Drake; 07-17-10 at 01:10 PM.
Old 07-17-10, 03:23 PM

Yeah, I like that FYE gives you a receipt with the breakdown of how much each thing was worth. And whenever I have a pile of things I want to get rid of, I always go to wherehouse.com to get a rough estimate of what I'll get for each item. What I don't understand is why they won't accept things for $0.01. They claim it's because they're overstocked, but I've checked in the past and that's not always true.

I'm in FYE a lot, so I always go for the 25% more credit since I can use it towards something I may find. I rarely buy new from there since they are horrendously overpriced for the most part, though.

I think I'll bring this stuff to FYE. Although they may not give a ton for each item, the money accumulates fast, especially with the store credit, so why not.
Old 07-17-10, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I used to trade in stuff at Newbury until I had a bad incident. This must have been about 10 years ago. I'd buy a bunch of cds on a weekly basis. I'd listen a few times and if I didn't like them, I'd save them up and sell them to Newbury. I'd take a bit of a loss financially, but I'd always have new music. One day, I went in with a bag of cds to trade in. While I was browsing through the store waiting to get my total, one of the employees came up to me and started asking me all types of questions about the cds. I guess because some of them were pretty recent, they thought I was stealing the cds elsewhere and trading them in for quick cash. That's fine...I can see their point. However, don't badger me and treat me like a criminal. Just refuse to buy the cds and send me on my way. I wound up writing corporate over the incident and got a $25 gift card for my trouble. I never traded in a single thing there since.
Old 07-17-10, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
I used to trade in stuff at Newbury until I had a bad incident. This must have been about 10 years ago. I'd buy a bunch of cds on a weekly basis. I'd listen a few times and if I didn't like them, I'd save them up and sell them to Newbury. I'd take a bit of a loss financially, but I'd always have new music. One day, I went in with a bag of cds to trade in. While I was browsing through the store waiting to get my total, one of the employees came up to me and started asking me all types of questions about the cds. I guess because some of them were pretty recent, they thought I was stealing the cds elsewhere and trading them in for quick cash. That's fine...I can see their point. However, don't badger me and treat me like a criminal. Just refuse to buy the cds and send me on my way. I wound up writing corporate over the incident and got a $25 gift card for my trouble. I never traded in a single thing there since.
$25 for your troubles isn't bad! But yeah, I'd be pretty pissed about that too. You'd think they'd be happy that you're bringing in somewhat recent CDs that are more likely to sell and give them a profit.

Is Newbury very picky about the condition of the things that get traded in, or do they resurface and clean up the trade-ins they get? I have a few CDs that are scratched (not very badly), but FYE wouldn't take them so maybe I'll dump them at Newbury.

On the other hand, I do find that if FYE finds that a CD or DVD is too scratched, if you bring it back with a new batch of CDs and DVDs, you might wind up selling them back to a different cashier who isn't as picky. If Newbury's like that then I also wouldn't mind that.

And if a CD or DVD is only worth a penny at Newbury, do they refuse it like FYE does? Because, in reality, I'd prefer them to just take it for the penny than have it cluttering up unwanted shelf space at home.
Old 07-17-10, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I have bought a few used cds at both stores that are in pretty rough shape so YMMV as to what each will accept in terms of condition.

In my experiences in trading in cds, I have found that FYE will typically turn down anything that they'd have a lot of copies of. I've walked back out of that store with only a slightly smaller stack than when I'd walked in simply because they had too many copies.

I'm not sure regarding the low value thing. I'd assume that if an item has no resale value at all that they'd refuse it. If that's the case and you really want to get rid of them, donate them to your local library or something.