Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Amazon Screws Me on Game Purchase

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 05-19-10, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

At least, they are gonna try, but I'm fighting this one tooth and nail. I can't believe they are trying to get away with this crap. Here is what happened:

A month ago, I preordered Red Dead Redemption at their low price of $56.00 with a $10 gaming credit. Well sometime later, Walmart outdid them offering a $20 credit.

Amazon responded by raising the credit to $20 bucks, but they raised the price of the game to $59.99. My preorder was still locked in at $56. On Monday, I was alarmed by an email stating that Amazon tried to charge my card for the game, and it failed. I used the same card for numerous orders with no problem. Nothing had changed on it. I even purchased something on Amazon just last week with the card.

There is no reason why they couldn't charge me! Even more strange, I get the notice yesterday from Amazon that my game has shipped via UPS. I thought they offered release day delivery for prime members?? I look up my recent orders in Amazon, and the purchase is no longer listed.

I have a feeling that this will result in me not receiving the $20 dollar credit. Beyond the emails, I have no proof that the order was made.

Personally, I think this a rotten tactic to get out of giving me the promotion. Amazon is so freaking desperate to match any other bargains out there, and they didn't like double dipping on this one.
Old 05-19-10, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Amazon Screws Me on Game Purchase

You said you ordered around a month ago?

Amazon's orders page only defaults to show the most recent orders of the past 30 days, anytime after that you'll have to either a) use the pull-down on the upper left of the order page to show the past six months of orders, b) use the search field on the upper right to enter the order number or c) use the search field on the upper right to enter "Red Dead Redemption.''

If they couldn't charge your card at the time they're ready to ship -- for whatever reason, say a network error with bank -- chances are you may a missed the window for Prime release-day drop shipments. It happens.

And doesn't Amazon e-mail promo codes within a couple days of a title's release? So no time has passed on that front. I'd say you'd need to relax just a bit before gathering the villagers and burning down Jeff Bezos' castle.
Old 05-19-10, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dvdaddict32
I thought they offered release day delivery for prime members??
I've had Prime and I've never managed to pre-order anything, even over a month in advance, and get it delivered on delivery day. 2 days later is the fastest I ever got.
Old 05-19-10, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I get pretty much every game or movie on release day with Prime.

But really, it's silly to think that Amazon is some how deliberately trying to screw you out of credit. If you got a shipping notice, what does the tracking info say? Did you contact support about your order being cancelled?
Old 05-19-10, 11:09 AM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Adboy151
You said you ordered around a month ago?

Amazon's orders page only defaults to show the most recent orders of the past 30 days, anytime after that you'll have to either a) use the pull-down on the upper left of the order page to show the past six months of orders, b) use the search field on the upper right to enter the order number or c) use the search field on the upper right to enter "Red Dead Redemption.''

If they couldn't charge your card at the time they're ready to ship -- for whatever reason, say a network error with bank -- chances are you may a missed the window for Prime release-day drop shipments. It happens.

And doesn't Amazon e-mail promo codes within a couple days of a title's release? So no time has passed on that front. I'd say you'd need to relax just a bit before gathering the villagers and burning down Jeff Bezos' castle.

You're right, Adboy. I changed the search for all orders in 2010 and it showed up! I was thinking it displayed in the order that items ship out, not order date. Just seemed kind of fishy that out of numerous orders, this is the one that happened to have a problem with charging. Game still shows in transit which stinks since I paid for prime memberhip.
Old 05-19-10, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
I've had Prime and I've never managed to pre-order anything, even over a month in advance, and get it delivered on delivery day. 2 days later is the fastest I ever got.
I'd say that I get 98% off my Prime pre-orders on release day, but I think it's all dependent on how close you are to an Amazon warehouse.

I've got one 40 minutes away and another -- where most of orders seem to ship from -- less than three hours away.

Those that don't arrive release day either ship very late in day or are subject to UPS shenanigans.
Old 05-20-10, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ordered mine in Dec. 2009 using Prime, got it on release day but still haven't received the $20 credit yet. Don't worry.
Old 05-23-10, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Adboy151

This bugs me. I would rather it show all open and orders shipped within the last 30 days. Isnt that what most people check their orders for?

I too preorder from Amazon on occasion, and generally get stuff on release day. Maybe a day after.
Old 05-23-10, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

They need to hurry up with this 20 dollar credit. This is the longest it has taken to get a credit on a game purchase for me. I'm thinking about using it for Alpha Protocol but only if I can use it before the release date (June 1st).