Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Netflix new stripped down discs

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 05-02-10, 09:42 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After waiting 28 days, you'll get:
1)A stripped down disc(no special features whatever),
2)No scene selection
3)You can't hit menu to bypass the trailers and ads.

(Was watching Sherlock Holmes and Blind Side)

Does Blockbuster discs does the same thing?
If this is the crap situation from now on, maybe i should get my movies from "other sources". >
Old 05-02-10, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Re: Netflix new stripped down discs

A lot of companies are producing barebones discs for rental only. So, you'd get the same discs pretty much everywhere.

As for the "other sources" comment, you might want to keep that under your hat. That type of discussion isn't allowed here.
Old 05-02-10, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, this is because they want to drive up revenue for retail sales for people who want to buy the DVD/Blu Ray with all the bonus features.

And I can always navigate around those forced trailers/commercials. I hit stop on my DVD player until it says "auto play disabled" and then I hit menu and walla...right to the menu I go!
Old 05-02-10, 10:19 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
A lot of companies are producing barebones discs for rental only. So, you'd get the same discs pretty much everywhere.

As for the "other sources" comment, you might want to keep that under your hat. That type of discussion isn't allowed here.
This sucks, yeah, understood about "other sources".

Originally Posted by calhoun07
Yes, this is because they want to drive up revenue for retail sales for people who want to buy the DVD/Blu Ray with all the bonus features.

And I can always navigate around those forced trailers/commercials. I hit stop on my DVD player until it says "auto play disabled" and then I hit menu and walla...right to the menu I go!
Thanks for the tip, will try it next time.
Old 05-02-10, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Yeah, I noticed this with THE INFORMANT! If this becomes the trend for all/most Blu-rays, I might as well switch to renting via HD downloads on my PS3.
Old 05-02-10, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Redbox is the same. I got Sherlock Holmes and it was actually branded "Redbox" on the factory printed disc label. Lots of skippable previews at the beginning, but no other special features.
Old 05-02-10, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 219 Likes on 175 Posts

This could also be a way to keep people from upgrading their scratched discs.
Old 05-02-10, 07:46 PM

It doesn't bother me at all. I almost always watch the previews (drives my wife crazy) to get a theater-like experience. As far as the Special Features....I usually buy the disc if I like a movie enough to watch it's special features.
Old 05-04-10, 04:21 AM

The bare-bones discs don't bother me. If I really like a movie, I'll buy the disc to watch the special features (and then even after I buy the disc, the chance that I'll watch the special features are slim...).

What pisses me off is the forced previews. Pushing the stop button multiple times works for my player, but still a pain...
Old 05-04-10, 05:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm surprised they're not making these DVD-Rs to boot to limit the appeal of resale even more. I imagine buying DVDs on the secondary market will become trickier. This is disappointing news but when I rent (which is almost never anymore) I'm usually only interested in the movie so I could live with this unless I wanted to rent a Criterion. Forcing you to watch the movie trailers does suck. Can you at least scan past them like the old VHS tape days? Hopefully hitting the stop button will work on most machines. It seems the more we move forward the more we more backwards.
Old 05-04-10, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by Pizza
I'm surprised they're not making these DVD-Rs to boot to limit the appeal of resale even more. I imagine buying DVDs on the secondary market will become trickier. This is disappointing news but when I rent (which is almost never anymore) I'm usually only interested in the movie so I could live with this unless I wanted to rent a Criterion. Forcing you to watch the movie trailers does suck. Can you at least scan past them like the old VHS tape days? Hopefully hitting the stop button will work on most machines. It seems the more we move forward the more we more backwards.
Fast Forward does work.
Old 05-04-10, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Fast Forward does work.
sometimes.. I've had discs where even hitting stop wouldn't work! Those i hate and despise.
Old 05-04-10, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't come across a disc without scene selection.
Old 05-04-10, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,158 Likes on 4,191 Posts

Stripping the extras really bothers me. I won't often watch them, but I like having the option of seeing them. Especially after having waited a month, what's the fucking harm? Netflix is really annoying me now, yet all they seem to care about is "When did my movie arrive?". They're acquiescing way too much to the big studios these days. I guess it's so they can have more instant streaming movies available, but I'm paying nearly $20 for two blurays at a time -- I expect the same quality discs I signed up for : retail discs on release date.
Old 05-04-10, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,158 Likes on 4,191 Posts

I just called their customer service line. I explained that it's one thing to have to wait a month for new releases, but it's quite another to get stripped down versions at that time. I told him that sometimes I've already seen the feature and want to watch the special features or director's commentary. If I can't even do that after a month, if I actually have to go buy the disc to get the retail experience, what am I getting Netflix for in the first place? He seemed very receptive and agreed with me. Maybe they just need to hear that from people. I'd encourage anyone else who cares about this to call their CS line and let them know:
1-866-716-0414
Old 05-04-10, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry C.
I haven't come across a disc without scene selection.
The Sherlock Holmes DVD that I got this week didn't have scene selection.
Old 05-04-10, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I just called their customer service line. I explained that it's one thing to have to wait a month for new releases, but it's quite another to get stripped down versions at that time. I told him that sometimes I've already seen the feature and want to watch the special features or director's commentary. If I can't even do that after a month, if I actually have to go buy the disc to get the retail experience, what am I getting Netflix for in the first place? He seemed very receptive and agreed with me. Maybe they just need to hear that from people. I'd encourage anyone else who cares about this to call their CS line and let them know:
1-866-716-0414
Very reasonable arguments here, and well articulated.
Old 05-04-10, 10:33 PM
Cool New Member

Just received Where the Wild Things Are on dvd from Netflix and it has no scene selection.
Old 05-05-10, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
The Sherlock Holmes DVD that I got this week didn't have scene selection.
I have it at home and started watching it. I will check mine, even though I'm sure they are the same.
Old 05-05-10, 12:18 PM

It's funny, I bitch about the 28 day delay all over the place but this doesn't really bug me at all. I'm curious, what do you find more annoying....."rental copies" or the 28 day wait?
Old 05-05-10, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been less aggravated about the 28 day wait than the stupid rental disks. Specifically I was aggravated about nothing on the Informant or Blind Side.
Old 05-05-10, 01:49 PM

I don't mind stripped down discs, if I wanted to watch the bonus features it means it's a movie that I'd want to buy. The 28 day wait is more annoying because on top of the Long Wait associated with new releases, we now have ANOTHER 28 DAYS to wait.
Old 05-06-10, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I also don't mind stripped discs. If I like the movie, I will purchase it and watch the special features then.
Old 05-06-10, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Let say this though, this is very rocky territrory. How long before you're watching your movie and every 20 minutes you get an unskippable "intermision' with a commercial or 2 before the movie picks up again. Wouldn't be hard to take that step now. I think at that point Netfix and Redbox may go belly up as that would be horrendous.
Old 05-06-10, 07:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdragon
Let say this though, this is very rocky territrory. How long before you're watching your movie and every 20 minutes you get an unskippable "intermision' with a commercial or 2 before the movie picks up again. Wouldn't be hard to take that step now. I think at that point Netfix and Redbox may go belly up as that would be horrendous.
Then people would just wait for the flick to be on cable. It's not to say they wouldn't try it, (I seem to recall some Tom Cruise movie had a commercial in the middle of it on VHS to supposedly justify the cheaper selling price) but I can't see the majority paying good money to watch commercial breaks on rentals.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.