Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Woman Arrested for using Gift Cards at Best Buy

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Woman Arrested for using Gift Cards at Best Buy

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-10, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Woman Arrested for using Gift Cards at Best Buy

Originally Posted by Deftones
i don't see how you can call an "optimized" computer an upgraded model when the Consumerist showed it actually caused a performance decrease.

you are right, nobody is forcing them to buy the computer, but just because your location doesn't practice doesn't mean it is rampant in other stores. you can't speak for an entire company.

nobody ever said people at BB are bad and want to fuck you out of money. however, that said, it is very clear there are unscrupulous employees out there that try to take advantage of people when they aren't as informed as many of us on here are.
90% of the employees I have dealt with at BB over the years are clueless d-bags. I have had employees tell me things that were total BS (such as, if I bought a large TV, they would charge me a % for return - this was a couple of years ago). When crap like this happened, I simply walked away to the front of the store, asked for the store manager, tell him/her what employee said, point to their stupid wall with all their 'rules' and policies, and asked where it said that...they invariably would pause, say employee was misinformed, and I then let them know they lost a sale because of their idiocy, and that they better set their employees straight on how to deal and not to deal with customers. It was kind of fun actually.
Old 02-14-10, 11:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarantino
Our policy is that if all that's left is the Optimized laptops, and the customer doesn't want it, we don't charge them for it.

Simple as that.

(I didn't read the article)
Wisconsin stores DO NOT waive the charge for your bullshit Optimization. If that's all that's left, pay up anyway.

This Optimization shit is going to bite them in the ass sooner or later. If it's a service Geek Squad thinks is worth selling, sell it after the fact. It takes only minutes to do, your telling me it can't be done as soon as the customer buys the computer with only minutes wait time?

Your breaking the seal on the computer, accepting the EULAs that the END USER is supposed to accept and doing almost nothing that a 12 year old and an active internet connection could complete in minutes.

What if the customer returns said Optimized computer without ever opening the box themselves? Restocking fee...the box was already opened before the customer purchased the computer.

What's next? Optimized TVs (we opened it up and put the batteries in the remote)? Optimized Cell Phones (we put the battery in and charged it)? Optimized Sodas at the Check-stands (we opened them so they would be more convenient for you to drink)?

Last edited by btbrossard; 02-14-10 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Possibly a little harsh on Best Buy Employees, who have it hard enough only making $9/hour...
Old 02-14-10, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
As a sidenote, these credit card gift cards may seem like a good idea on paper, but if you've ever had the misfortune of receiving one they're nothing but a huge pain in the ass.

Please don't give these as a gift if you can avoid it. Unless it's for somebody you hate, I suppose.
This. Those credit card giftcards are just a huge pain in the ass to everyone, the sender, the receiver, and the store that has to deal with them.

Seriously, unless you're mailing the gift, give cash. And if you do mail the gift, send a check instead.
Old 02-15-10, 04:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,739 Likes on 1,888 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
When we received our test models, the initial impression was of a rushed service: Some samples were left in standby mode, and two had not finished installing Windows updates. A quick start guide for one laptop had been mixed in with the papers in another laptop’s box, and a power cable for one sample was missing.

I'm going to go to Best Buy this week, pretend I'm interested in a laptop, and when the jack-off working there brings up optimization, I'm going to tell him I'd pay a one hundred dollar premium just to keep their Geek Squad 'tards from doing anything to my new computer.
Old 02-15-10, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is it me or does NOBODY read the entire article anymore?

People read the article, even Best Buy acknowledged that the employee gave AMEX the WRONG info. Totally Best Buy's fault.

EPIC FAIL!!!!!
Old 02-15-10, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

OK, I just read the OTHER article and I am convinced that Best Buy IS run by morons.

How does an ENTIRE store of Best Buy employees NOT know about $2 bills. Are they honestly THAT stupid. It is very hard for my brain to wrap my head around such stupidity. I mean really, how can you be THAT stupid?? How is it possible? I mean, it's like walking out into traffic and being surprised when a car hits you. Are these same people reproducing?? A VERY GOOD argument on government sterilization programs.
Old 02-15-10, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,739 Likes on 1,888 Posts

Originally Posted by C_Fletch
Is it me or does NOBODY read the entire article anymore?

People read the article, even Best Buy acknowledged that the employee gave AMEX the WRONG info. Totally Best Buy's fault.
Businesses are never at fault for anything, unless they're answering to shareholders.
Old 02-16-10, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Businesses are never at fault for anything, unless they're answering to shareholders.
So who was at fault for Circuit City then? The customers? Who cares, right? They are dead and gone. The end.
Old 02-16-10, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Pizza
Obviously, they didn't do everything correct. Because they discovered their mistake afterwards doesn't change the fact that they still made a mistake that was pivotal and because of it handled the situation incorrectly and the customer paid the price for it.
What part of "With the information they had at the time" is so hard to understand?

Obviously, if they had known at the time that a mistake was made, they would have handled things differently, but IT WASNT KNOWN AT THE TIME.

Last edited by jjcool; 02-16-10 at 11:51 AM.