Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

RIP 99 cents only stores — All 371 stores to close

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-24, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

If you’ve never heard of this store, it’s only in 4 states. California, Arizona, Nevada and Texas. They were in business since 1982.

I’m sure those of you who live in other states have something equivalent.
The following users liked this post:
Alan Smithee (04-04-24)
Old 04-04-24, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts
Re: RIP 99 cents only stores — All 371 stores to close

DollarTree is well on their way to being Five DollarTree, so the scourge of inflation finally started killing off these dollar-based chains. Children in 10 years I imagine will marvel there were once entire retail stores where everything was a buck.
Alan Smithee (04-04-24)
Old 04-04-24, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

Wow, for once I wasn’t the only one who was pissed off by a company’s stupidity. I stopped even going into their stores when they started having stuff that was more than 99 cents- and I TOTALLY GET that costs go up and they likely couldn’t sell a lot of stuff for that price anymore, they even had some “nicer” items that couldn’t possibly sell for 99 cents anywhere. But I kept telling them they needed to CHANGE THE NAME OF THEIR FUCKING STORE if their stuff wasn’t just 99 cents anymore! On Facebook one of their replies was “Well, we think it’s still a good deal” so I said “Change your name to ‘Still a Good Deal’ then, the name 99 Cents Only is a LIE!” If they couldn’t see that, then good riddance. Got some good DVDs for 99 cents many years ago and even paid $1.49 for some TV season sets when they first started testing out higher prices, but I wasn’t going to go along with their being able to price stuff at any level while keeping that name. Last time I went in was just a couple weeks ago as I was organizing my storage unit and needed soda, their store was closest so went in for one. Sodas had still been around 99 cents for a long time, but it was more than $2 this time. Left them a one-star review on Yelp just saying CHANGE THE NAME if they can’t sell for 99 cents anymore! They used to even play announcements in the store saying “Even if it says more than 99 cents, it’s STILL just 99 cents!”
Old 04-05-24, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

If you haven't seen this, it's worth watching. Afterwards, you'll be unlikely to shed a tear for the loss of this chain.
Old 04-05-24, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

I have two Dollar Trees near me and haven’t seen a 99 cent only store in years.

I only like getting lint rollers and clothes hangers at Dollar Tree.
Old 04-05-24, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,832 Likes on 1,228 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Wow, for once I wasn’t the only one who was pissed off by a company’s stupidity. I stopped even going into their stores when they started having stuff that was more than 99 cents- and I TOTALLY GET that costs go up and they likely couldn’t sell a lot of stuff for that price anymore, they even had some “nicer” items that couldn’t possibly sell for 99 cents anywhere. But I kept telling them they needed to CHANGE THE NAME OF THEIR FUCKING STORE if their stuff wasn’t just 99 cents anymore! On Facebook one of their replies was “Well, we think it’s still a good deal” so I said “Change your name to ‘Still a Good Deal’ then, the name 99 Cents Only is a LIE!” If they couldn’t see that, then good riddance. Got some good DVDs for 99 cents many years ago and even paid $1.49 for some TV season sets when they first started testing out higher prices, but I wasn’t going to go along with their being able to price stuff at any level while keeping that name. Last time I went in was just a couple weeks ago as I was organizing my storage unit and needed soda, their store was closest so went in for one. Sodas had still been around 99 cents for a long time, but it was more than $2 this time. Left them a one-star review on Yelp just saying CHANGE THE NAME if they can’t sell for 99 cents anymore! They used to even play announcements in the store saying “Even if it says more than 99 cents, it’s STILL just 99 cents!”
Curious as to your thoughts on Motel 6 and 7-11 convenience stores.
Old 04-06-24, 12:17 AM

Well yeah, Motel 6 should still be $6 but even their name isn’t as blatantly false- it’s not like it’s called “The $6 Motel”. 7-11 I see as an improvement as being open 24 hours is better than just 7 to 11.
Kurt D (04-06-24)
Old 04-06-24, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts

I remember visiting one in Van Nuys many years ago, that is all I remember.
doing a search I see there are two locations in Roseville, CA, not too far from me.

If they are anything like DT, they might get cheap wine and hard liquor mix drinks in once while.
At least in Auburn, the homeless shelter is not too far from DT, and besides panhandling, they have a problem with shoplifting.

The slow death of B&M. thanks to Amazon, but I think it will just shrink and the strong will survive.

Old 04-08-24, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I'm curious if this is just mild annoyance or if you really think they could've saved the franchise with a rename.
Old 04-08-24, 10:49 AM

They would’ve at least gotten my business back if they did. As long as the sign says “99 Cents Only Stores,” I’m not paying more than 99 cents for anything.
Old 04-08-24, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
If you haven't seen this, it's worth watching. Afterwards, you'll be unlikely to shed a tear for the loss of this chain.
https://youtu.be/p4QGOHahiVM?si=ziW96EnRNElCC2lJ
Woooow. I had no idea it was that bad....