Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Returns at Walmart & "Violations of Federal Law"

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Returns at Walmart & "Violations of Federal Law"

Old 01-18-14, 08:03 PM
  #51  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PhantomStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 27,864
Received 895 Likes on 756 Posts
Re: Returns at Walmart & "Violations of Federal Law"

It's a theft-prevention strategy designed to handle high-risk areas, implemented on a store level. There are no Federal laws about returned DVDs.
Old 01-18-14, 08:15 PM
  #52  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 44,563
Received 2,956 Likes on 2,021 Posts
Re: Returns at Walmart & "Violations of Federal Law"

I returned a couple of my Black Friday blu-ray purchases to Walmart (Skyfall, which I got in the Bond 50 box I bought later, and one other) and they took the unopened discs back and gave me a cash refund with no questions and no hassles.
Old 09-13-18, 07:50 PM
  #53  
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Returns at Walmart & "Violations of Federal Law"

So I have a similar yet slightly different story. I tried to return a blu ray at walmart toigjt and the manager insisted that even though it was brand new sealed and unopened she could not return it because it violates copyright laws... I understand walmart has Instawatch, but that shouldn't constitute me not being able to return the movie, If I purchase a movie for someone as a gift and they have it or don't want it, does this mean I'm stuck with it?

I had this happen previously last year and I called walmart customer service and they said that I should not have a problem returning it, so I think somewhere along the way someone is misunderstanding the rules, Yes if the item is opened I understand not being able to return it because someone could have watched it, , although if its defective it should be allowed to be exchanged and if it's out of stock then they should offer a refund since it will be sent back to the distributer for manufacture error, however a brand new unopened movie should be returned or they need to tell you prior to purchasing it that it cannot.

any similar situations?
any way around this?
I plan to call walmart customer service to let them know what they're doing, not that I think it will fix anything
Old 09-15-18, 09:09 PM
  #54  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Troy Stiffler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Under an I-10 Overpass
Posts: 25,955
Received 392 Likes on 279 Posts
Re: Returns at Walmart & "Violations of Federal Law"

Your mileage may vary. Thatís all there is to say about it.

Big retailers are creating new return rules. I noticed Bed Bath and Beyond has a new policy. Itís because margins are getting tighter and tighter to compete with Amazon. People heavily abuse returns. And the retailers are ending up in the red due to their loose return policies.
Old 09-16-18, 09:42 PM
  #55  
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,046
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Returns at Walmart & "Violations of Federal Law"

People are fucking stupid. I actually had a server at Outback claim it was illegal for her to put rootbeer in one of those tall frosted mugs from the bar for me one time, in spite of the fact I've been ordering it that way for like 15 years now. She even pretended to check with the manager and claim she couldn't do it. I told the stupid bitch to get me what I asked for or get me the owner of the restaurant. She finally did it.
Old 09-20-18, 02:41 PM
  #56  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
ben12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Where I live?
Posts: 3,601
Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
Re: Returns at Walmart & "Violations of Federal Law"

Originally Posted by Viper187
People are fucking stupid. I actually had a server at Outback claim it was illegal for her to put rootbeer in one of those tall frosted mugs from the bar for me one time, in spite of the fact I've been ordering it that way for like 15 years now. She even pretended to check with the manager and claim she couldn't do it. I told the stupid bitch to get me what I asked for or get me the owner of the restaurant. She finally did it.
You got frosted spit on your mug.
Old 09-20-18, 02:46 PM
  #57  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PhantomStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 27,864
Received 895 Likes on 756 Posts
Re: Returns at Walmart & "Violations of Federal Law"

Originally Posted by ben12
You got frosted spit on your mug.
I was thinking something much, much worse.

The rise of Amazon has more or less shredded retail margins for brick & mortar stores. Returns are a critical focus at the moment for business managers, as it's a huge source of retail fraud.

I think the days of full refunds are nearing their end. Once enough businesses move to blocking returns, it will be easier to get away with when your competitors also don't accept returns.
Old 09-22-18, 06:12 PM
  #58  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Troy Stiffler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Under an I-10 Overpass
Posts: 25,955
Received 392 Likes on 279 Posts
Re: Returns at Walmart & "Violations of Federal Law"

Yup. Retailers used to just eat the cost and move on. But they canít do that anymore because their revenue is down.

I believe that Amazon is setting up the consumer market for a big collapse. Itís a race to the bottom of margins. Theyíre tricking everyone around them to take a loss. From the shipping and freight companies to their suppliers. Amazon will even take a loss in their marketplace to keep AWS going ... donít forget that AWS has more revenue than Amazon.com.
Old 09-22-18, 07:47 PM
  #59  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PhantomStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 27,864
Received 895 Likes on 756 Posts
Re: Returns at Walmart & "Violations of Federal Law"

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
Yup. Retailers used to just eat the cost and move on. But they canít do that anymore because their revenue is down.

I believe that Amazon is setting up the consumer market for a big collapse. Itís a race to the bottom of margins. Theyíre tricking everyone around them to take a loss. From the shipping and freight companies to their suppliers. Amazon will even take a loss in their marketplace to keep AWS going ... donít forget that AWS has more revenue than Amazon.com.
Most people looking into an anti-trust case against Amazon believe separating AWS from the remaining retail business would solve most issues.
Old 09-26-18, 07:08 PM
  #60  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 10,048
Received 966 Likes on 774 Posts
Re: Returns at Walmart & "Violations of Federal Law"

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
Yup. Retailers used to just eat the cost and move on. But they canít do that anymore because their revenue is down.

I believe that Amazon is setting up the consumer market for a big collapse. Itís a race to the bottom of margins. Theyíre tricking everyone around them to take a loss. From the shipping and freight companies to their suppliers. Amazon will even take a loss in their marketplace to keep AWS going ... donít forget that AWS has more revenue than Amazon.com.
Very, very true. Another reason why I'm so against Amazon. I'd rather pay a little more to support local vendors, and have the ability to make a return if the need arises. Now, the Amazon monster is killing that ability, which makes me support local vendors less, because of possible FUs by them on returns of any kind. A vicious cycle. Amazon is doing great harm, they're gobbling up everyone they can.
Old 03-02-19, 06:33 PM
  #61  
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Returns at Walmart & "Violations of Federal Law"

Originally Posted by rennervision
Was curious if others have had a similar experience as mine trying to return a DVD or BD to Walmart.

I had a Blu-ray which froze around the middle of the disc, so I returned it to Walmart today with a receipt (showing purchased yesterday). The returns lady said since it was opened I needed to go back and get the same title.

Fair enough. Except I searched the store for about 10 minutes and couldn't find it. I came back to the returns desk and said I may have bought the last one. So she then searched herself for another 10 minutes.

When she came back, she agreed I bought the last one and said she will call another store to see if they have it. At this point I had no interest in going out of my way to another Walmart, so I asked if I could just take store credit.

"I can't do that," she said. "Since this has been opened, if I accept it now it will be a violation of Federal Law."

Well at that point things got a little crazy. I explained to her we have a problem since I'm not leaving with a defective disc. She reiterated it would be a violation of Federal Law. I asked her if people return a defective item to this store and it doesn't have replacements, they're now out of luck? She repeated it would be a violation of Federal Law.

So things started to get heated and she offered to call a different store for me. I told her I'm not driving all over the city looking for another copy of this BD, but reluctantly agreed since I could see I was getting no where with her. She's on hold for 10 minutes and then learns it's not at that location either.

So again we're back to arguing and her speaking her mantra of Federal Law. She then offers to call another store for me and check their inventory. I ask to speak with her manager, so she then calls the manager on the phone.

She explains to the manager that I was unwilling to let her call another store to see if it was in stock. (Guess she forgot about the last 10 minutes.) Then I hear her say, "So you want me to break a rule for this customer?" (translation: Violate a Federal Law.)

At that point she hangs up and asks if I'll accept a gift card.

So what's the deal? I've returned defective things before and accepted store credit when the item was sold out. But now that I think about it, it may not have been at Walmart. Has this always been their policy? If I have to make sure the movie has 14 copies in stock before I buy it, it's not even worth the trip because their selection of BDs isn't very big.
Old 03-02-19, 06:37 PM
  #62  
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Returns at Walmart & "Violations of Federal Law"

Originally Posted by rennervision
Was curious if others have had a similar experience as mine trying to return a DVD or BD to Walmart.

I had a Blu-ray which froze around the middle of the disc, so I returned it to Walmart today with a receipt (showing purchased yesterday). The returns lady said since it was opened I needed to go back and get the same title.

Fair enough. Except I searched the store for about 10 minutes and couldn't find it. I came back to the returns desk and said I may have bought the last one. So she then searched herself for another 10 minutes.

When she came back, she agreed I bought the last one and said she will call another store to see if they have it. At this point I had no interest in going out of my way to another Walmart, so I asked if I could just take store credit.

"I can't do that," she said. "Since this has been opened, if I accept it now it will be a violation of Federal Law."

Well at that point things got a little crazy. I explained to her we have a problem since I'm not leaving with a defective disc. She reiterated it would be a violation of Federal Law. I asked her if people return a defective item to this store and it doesn't have replacements, they're now out of luck? She repeated it would be a violation of Federal Law.

So things started to get heated and she offered to call a different store for me. I told her I'm not driving all over the city looking for another copy of this BD, but reluctantly agreed since I could see I was getting no where with her. She's on hold for 10 minutes and then learns it's not at that location either.

So again we're back to arguing and her speaking her mantra of Federal Law. She then offers to call another store for me and check their inventory. I ask to speak with her manager, so she then calls the manager on the phone.

She explains to the manager that I was unwilling to let her call another store to see if it was in stock. (Guess she forgot about the last 10 minutes.) Then I hear her say, "So you want me to break a rule for this customer?" (translation: Violate a Federal Law.)

At that point she hangs up and asks if I'll accept a gift card.

So what's the deal? I've returned defective things before and accepted store credit when the item was sold out. But now that I think about it, it may not have been at Walmart. Has this always been their policy? If I have to make sure the movie has 14 copies in stock before I buy it, it's not even worth the trip because their selection of BDs isn't very big.
Same thing just happened to me today. I bought "Revenge of the Nerds" on Blu and it was the last one when I bought it. It was a Christmas promo edition. The Blu-ray played but had no sound. I tried everything no cigar. Tried to take it back and the fat pig at Walmart wouldn't budge. She treated me like a criminal trying to rip them off. Amazing. I soend over $1000 a month there. No more. She wanted me to drive around town to get another. I tried to explain that it was a Christmas promo bought Ray and there aren't anymore .It's more just laziness on their part and not wanting to move from there hibernation spot. Look at who Walmart hires. Not exactly the brightest people on the planet.
Old 03-03-19, 08:53 AM
  #63  
DVD Talk Hero
 
TomOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 40,215
Received 1,323 Likes on 964 Posts
Re: Returns at Walmart & "Violations of Federal Law"

Spending "over $1000 a month" at a Walmart isn't something I would brag about.
Old 03-07-19, 07:46 PM
  #64  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 963
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Returns at Walmart & "Violations of Federal Law"

Originally Posted by Ashpaladium
Same thing just happened to me today. I bought "Revenge of the Nerds" on Blu and it was the last one when I bought it. It was a Christmas promo edition. The Blu-ray played but had no sound. I tried everything no cigar. Tried to take it back and the fat pig at Walmart wouldn't budge. She treated me like a criminal trying to rip them off.
So what was the end result? I hope you didn't walk away with zero satisfaction. I just documented my (fairly minimal) effort to return an opened Shout Factory Max Headroom set here. I don't know if it played correctly or not, but it was purposely missing the bonus disk and I couldn't stomach that.
Old 04-06-24, 10:28 AM
  #65  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
joe_b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,436
Received 111 Likes on 71 Posts
Re: Returns at Walmart & "Violations of Federal Law"

Bumping an old thread, but I wanted to share a return issue I had this morning:

My cousin had purchased me a NECA figure from Walmart as a gift, but I don't collect their stuff anymore. She gave me the receipt in case I wanted to return it. The purchase date was Valentine's Day, so I was still well within the usual 90 day return window. The two women working the returns department were standing outside the counter talking loudly with each other and completely ignored me for at least five minutes. Finally, another woman strolled by and asked them if they wanted to go do something else (besides their job, apparently). One of them sighed and said "I should probably help this guy first. He's been standing here a while."

Anyway, she took one look at the receipt and said "Yeah, you can't return this." I asked why and she told me the receipt expired after 15 days. When I mentioned their 90 day return policy, she said "This is an electronics item. I can't refund you with a receipt that old." I told her it was a toy (not even an electronic one), but she said it didn't matter - it came from the electronics department and I wasn't getting the money back.

I know some electronic items have shortened return windows (like cellphones and computers). This may be a recent change, but I know for certain I've been able to return unopened items from the electronic section (even DVDs) within 90 days. She didn't offer a different solution, so I just muttered: "I don't get it. It's a toy, not an electronic." She turned to the other employee and said almost mockingly "This guy wants a refund and I'm not gonna do it. Do I need to get a manager over here?" The vibe felt really hostile for absolutely no reason. The other employee told her "Just try scanning the thing so he can leave." She did, pressed a button and the cash drawer magically popped open. She handed me the refund without a world and immediately turned her back to resume the conversation I'd so rudely interrupted.

Last edited by joe_b; 04-06-24 at 10:41 AM.
Old 04-06-24, 05:50 PM
  #66  
DVD Talk Legend
 
BobO'Link's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 10,567
Received 715 Likes on 511 Posts
Re: Returns at Walmart & "Violations of Federal Law"

Originally Posted by joe_b
Bumping an old thread, but I wanted to share a return issue I had this morning:

My cousin had purchased me a NECA figure from Walmart as a gift, but I don't collect their stuff anymore. She gave me the receipt in case I wanted to return it. The purchase date was Valentine's Day, so I was still well within the usual 90 day return window. The two women working the returns department were standing outside the counter talking loudly with each other and completely ignored me for at least five minutes. Finally, another woman strolled by and asked them if they wanted to go do something else (besides their job, apparently). One of them sighed and said "I should probably help this guy first. He's been standing here a while."

Anyway, she took one look at the receipt and said "Yeah, you can't return this." I asked why and she told me the receipt expired after 15 days. When I mentioned their 90 day return policy, she said "This is an electronics item. I can't refund you with a receipt that old." I told her it was a toy (not even an electronic one), but she said it didn't matter - it came from the electronics department and I wasn't getting the money back.

I know some electronic items have shortened return windows (like cellphones and computers). This may be a recent change, but I know for certain I've been able to return unopened items from the electronic section (even DVDs) within 90 days. She didn't offer a different solution, so I just muttered: "I don't get it. It's a toy, not an electronic." She turned to the other employee and said almost mockingly "This guy wants a refund and I'm not gonna do it. Do I need to get a manager over here?" The vibe felt really hostile for absolutely no reason. The other employee told her "Just try scanning the thing so he can leave." She did, pressed a button and the cash drawer magically popped open. She handed me the refund without a world and immediately turned her back to resume the conversation I'd so rudely interrupted.
And I've have immediately asked to speak with the Manager and then reported the comments. That behavior it absolutely unacceptable - even in today's "hard to get employees" environment. And it's not too late to file a complaint against that person to corporate:
https://www.walmartethics.com/conten...a-concern.html
The following 2 users liked this post by BobO'Link:
Kurt D (04-06-24), story (04-06-24)
Old 04-06-24, 06:26 PM
  #67  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PhantomStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 27,864
Received 895 Likes on 756 Posts
Re: Returns at Walmart & "Violations of Federal Law"

I'm not sure Walmart managers really care. I've heard it's a terrible, high-stress job where the biggest thing you manage is how much you can get away with not using heat/central air. Their number one priority is cost containment as manager.
The following users liked this post:
Abob Teff (04-06-24)
Old 04-06-24, 08:37 PM
  #68  
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator
 
Kurt D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Posts: 54,912
Received 2,002 Likes on 1,331 Posts
Re: Returns at Walmart & "Violations of Federal Law"

Blast that store on social media, tagging them etc. in addition to taking the other avenues. That deserves some scorched earth.
The following users liked this post:
BobO'Link (04-07-24)
Old 04-06-24, 10:36 PM
  #69  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Abob Teff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Not necessarily Formerly known as Solid Snake
Posts: 29,900
Received 1,329 Likes on 906 Posts
Re: Returns at Walmart & "Violations of Federal Law"

I don't think Walmart actually has managers. I mean, they hang the picture of somebody up front to make it look as if there is a manager . . . but "the manager" when one is needed, is simply the oldest of the teenagers working.

If you were to push your way into the employee break room (no, not the store where employees don't do anything, the other break room where they take a break from not doing anything) and to the manager's office, well ...


Old 04-07-24, 11:26 AM
  #70  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 44,563
Received 2,956 Likes on 2,021 Posts
Re: Returns at Walmart & "Violations of Federal Law"

Originally Posted by joe_b
Bumping an old thread, but I wanted to share a return issue I had this morning:

My cousin had purchased me a NECA figure from Walmart as a gift, but I don't collect their stuff anymore. She gave me the receipt in case I wanted to return it. The purchase date was Valentine's Day, so I was still well within the usual 90 day return window...
I wonder if accepting returns/exchanges at Walmart is discretionary on the part of the employee handling the transaction. The system is probably computerized to the point where it's the system that looks at the available information and determines whether or not its eligible. If that's the case, then the CS rep was probably just being a pain in the ass.

On the other hand, if there is discretion involved, the rep might have been erring on the side of caution so they don't get fired for accepting a return they shouldn't. Were I in that position, where something is from the electronics department but not actually an electronic, I'd consult with whoever was above me, too.

Old 04-08-24, 08:11 AM
  #71  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 44,980
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,667 Posts
Re: Returns at Walmart & "Violations of Federal Law"

Only the collectibles are in the electronics section, and I wouldn't be surprised if someone decided to tag them that way to prevent collectible returns because of rampant fraud, maybe even in this store. I remember like 20 years ago I bought a "collectible" (ie: an action figure) at Target of all places, and the return lady at first refused to even take it back. It was unopened, I had the receipt, and finally she relented but warned that I wasn't supposed to be able to return collectibles. I've never heard of that since so it was probably just this one Target.

But more likely the employee was just following what she was told to do and doesn't want to be fired because she allowed the return of an electronics item even though it clearly isn't one but is labeled that way in the system.
Old 04-08-24, 08:46 AM
  #72  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Sunny Hawaii
Posts: 8,202
Received 482 Likes on 328 Posts
Re: Returns at Walmart & "Violations of Federal Law"

Originally Posted by fujishig
But more likely the employee was just following what she was told to do and doesn't want to be fired because she allowed the return of an electronics item even though it clearly isn't one but is labeled that way in the system.
The actual, written policy is here:
https://corporate.walmart.com/policies#return-policy

There is no blanket "Electronics - 15 day returns" policy, so she was wrong. Most items are 90 days. The exceptions are noted in the "Our Refund and Exchange Exceptions", "Receipt Required Items", "Exchange Only Items", and "Items Ineligible for Return/Refund/Replacement". All this should be programmed into the computer already, so that they can scan it, and if the computer accepts it, they can accept the return. They don't need to eyeball the item themselves ahead of time, like she did, and try to guess what the policy is.

The Store Manager ultimately does have the authority to deny any return. In the "The Fine Print" section it says: "The Store Manager retains final authority to accept or decline any item that is eligible for return. Under no circumstance may a Store Manager accept return of an ineligible item. Store managers may always, at their discretion, refuse return of an item they deem to present a potential health or safety risk to any individual."

One thing you can do to try to bypass this nonsense at the worker level, is start the return in the Walmart app, or at walmart.com/returns. It will walk you through the return for your item, and apply the policies and exceptions above, and tell you if your item is eligible for return or not. If it is, it will give you the barcode for return and tell you to bring it to the store (bonus: on certain items, it will give you the refund immediately and say you don't have to return the item; I've had this happen on a greeting card). That way, you can tell the customer service person that you already started the return in the app, and it was approved and said to bring it in for refund.
Old 04-08-24, 08:55 AM
  #73  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Meathead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Beyond the Rim
Posts: 5,730
Received 563 Likes on 395 Posts
Re: Returns at Walmart & "Violations of Federal Law"

With the attitude of the employee, it sounds like she didn't want to do anything and was just coming up with the first excuse she could.
Old 04-08-24, 09:50 PM
  #74  
DVD Talk Hero
 
TomOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 40,215
Received 1,323 Likes on 964 Posts
Re: Returns at Walmart & "Violations of Federal Law"

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
I don't think Walmart actually has managers. I mean, they hang the picture of somebody up front to make it look as if there is a manager . . . but "the manager" when one is needed, is simply the oldest of the teenagers working.
The Managers are called Coaches. Supervisors are called Team Leads. Some coaches care more than others. Sometimes the actual store manager will care. One time I saw the one at my store sweeping up spilled blueberries. He could've easily radioed to have maintenance deal with it.

Regardless of the knowledge level of the associate(s), you weren't treated correctly. As in other industries, the pool of people applying for jobs sucks so the employees with attitude will stay employed longer than they should be.
Old 04-19-24, 06:39 PM
  #75  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
SterlingBen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 7,759
Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts
Re: Returns at Walmart & "Violations of Federal Law"

I don't see OP posting in this thread since 2010... probably pinched for violating federal law.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.