Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Deep Discount - Used to Love You, Now I Hate You

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Deep Discount - Used to Love You, Now I Hate You

Old 01-02-08, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deep Discount - Used to Love You,

I placed an order on November 20th during the semi-annual sale. I spend between $2-300 during each sale in June and November.

This order was about 15 titles including Transformers in HD. I actually purchased this title knowing I was about to purchase a player and was really looking forward to christening the player with this HDDVD.

December 3rd my order finally gets to me. Transformers is listed as shipped but it is not in the box.

I call and am told it will be shipped out that day or the next but they could NOT upgrade my shipping. Fine.

December 10 and still no movie so I call again and am told that it was never shipped out and they dont know why.

December 18 still no mive and I call again. Didnt ship AGAIN. Told me they would ship it and UPGRADE my shipping so I would get it before Christmas.

They call me about 10 minutes later to tell me the CC I used is now expired (expired 11/30) so I update the expiration and they tell me it will ship that day.

Today is January 2nd. Still no Transformers.

So I make ANOTHER call. This is now totally almost an hour and a half in hold/talk time and having to reexplain it to 4 CSRs.

Guess what they tell me? "Oh, they updated your CC info but never shipped it, sorry".

Sorry? Are you fucking kidding me?

I used to be a staunch supporter and promoter for DD. I am officially done.

They told me they would ship it out next day air. I guess I will believe it when I see it.

What a waste of time with them. If I ever thought they would credit my cc I would have canceled the order completely. But I can only imagine what that nightmare would be like.

Sorry DD, you are officially dead in my book. And "upgrading" me to next day air isn't enough.

Last edited by SoSpacey; 01-02-08 at 05:31 PM.
Old 01-02-08, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Their CS is atrocious. I guess that's what you trade for their prices.
Old 01-02-08, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Their CS is atrocious. I guess that's what you trade for their prices.
This.
Old 01-02-08, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yet another thread complaining about DD. And people thought I was the only one who had problems there.
Old 01-02-08, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Try DVD Planet during the next 20% off sale. They tend to mirror DD's sales. I've had my own probs with DD over the years. Their customer service is pretty bad. Hold times can be a nightmare. Also, I'm sure you've noticed how difficult it is to find their CS number on the website.
Old 01-02-08, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Overpar
Try DVD Planet during the next 20% off sale. They tend to mirror DD's sales. I've had my own probs with DD over the years. Their customer service is pretty bad. Hold times can be a nightmare. Also, I'm sure you've noticed how difficult it is to find their CS number on the website.

i may next time. this time i did a comparison before I ordered and DD was cheaper by about $15 total on my order.
Old 01-02-08, 05:32 PM

Dave from DD emailed me personally and is attempting to make good. I can appreciate him reaching out to me and will update when all is done.
Old 01-09-08, 08:43 AM

all is done. as promised, my Transformers HDDVD was overnighted to me and received this past Friday. Dave also did something else to take care of my troubles.
Old 01-09-08, 08:17 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DVDPlanet and DD are from the same parent company.
Old 01-09-08, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SoSpacey
Dave also did something else to take care of my troubles.

Now that's what I call customer service!
Old 01-09-08, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts
11/18 and 11/23 - Placed multiple orders with multiple DVD sets on a BOGO offer
11/30 - Orders shipped
12/08 - Order Received, 3 DVD sets with floaters
12/09 - Returned for replacement (not refund)
12/20 - Return confirmed, replacement orders placed (not processed), email received saying 3 orders will ship shortly
12/21 - received email saying 1 out of above 3 orders has shipped
12/29 - received order shipped on 12/21 - no damage on this set
01/04 - emailed in the AM asking why other 2 orders have not shipped
01/04 - three generic emails received in the PM as reply for all three emails - saying they have processed refund as items are not in stock despite items showing in stock on website. says refund posted 12/20, nothing shows on CC until today which is 01/09
01/05 - called in the AM. 40 minutes (yes, 40 mins) later, lady picks up. I ask why items had not shipped. I am told none of items were in stock and they had just received them in stock (yeah, right, just after I call) and that orders will be shipped on 01/07 (I did not mention receiving refund email)
01/08 - called in the AM (20 min hold) asking why I didn't receive shipping confirmation on 01/07. Was told order would ship that day which is 01/08

01/09/08 (today):
1. called in the afternoon asking why items have not shipped yet, guy says he does not know.

2. got an answer saying one of my items was Free anyway (BOGO) and that they cannot reship item because I had not 'paid' for this item - Yes, this is the answer I got

3. I was livid but guy was cool and worked with me. Then he says this item is not in stock. I tell him website shows it in stock. After 15 minutes, he offered to place another order for this item at no cost

4. Then I ask him about why the second order had not shipped. He looks up this order and says, you know what, both items (this and the other for which he had just placed a no cost order) showed as Shipped on 01/07 under the status for this order

5. I asked why I did not receive a shipping confirmation. He says he does not know.

6. Then he says, I was charged for the free item on the BOGO order. I asked why. He says the lady that processed the order did not think a zero amount order would be shipped and so charged me $20.97 for it - Yes this is the answer I got.

7. I said, 'what the hell are you guys doing ? do you know how to run a business ? how can you charge me for an item without my knowledge or an order ?' - guy apologizes and refunds $20.97

8. I ask whats the status on the shipped order. He says there is no tracking number

9. I ask whats the order number of this shipment - he gives me an order number which does not even show up under my account on their website. I ask why and he says he does not know.

10. I said 'I need a shipment confirmation email, otherwise it is your word against mine' - he puts me on hold, comes back a few minutes later and says I will receive shipping email today. so far, no email has been received.

Number of agonizing minutes spent on the call: appr 40
Number of days since original Order placed: 46
Status: Order still yet to be completely fulfilled. No shipping confirmation received yet on order supposedly shipped.
Order Number: completely different from the ones referred to in original reprocess confirmation email. Cannot look this up on website.
Status of so called Refund they claimed they had processed: Nothing until today

If you guys are feeling gung ho about this 'once stellar-now gone-to-the-dogs' company and still want to place orders, please be my guest.

Am done with this turd of a joint. Amazon it is - low prices or high prices, their service just can't be beat. At least lets encourage an outfit that cares about its customers.

Last edited by laidbacklarkin; 01-10-08 at 12:12 AM.
Old 01-10-08, 01:20 AM
Suspended

DVD Planet is owned by the same outfit that owns DD, from what I understand. Different warehouses & management, but owned by the same folks. (or atleast they were last I heard.)
Old 01-11-08, 05:23 PM
Banned

If you return sets because they have floaters I think you pretty much have to expect problems/difficulties. Unless a disk was cracked or actually broken I would never return a set because I would expect nothing less than problems in getting replacements sets and I could not fault them for this. I am not saying it is right for problems to occur I am just saying if you return something because of a floater or a cracked case I think you have to either just take the floaters or cracked case or send them back in and trade them for headaches and lots of lost time.
However I do feel kinda let down by DD lately. The sales not what they used to be.
Old 01-11-08, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
If you return sets because they have floaters I think you pretty much have to expect problems/difficulties. Unless a disk was cracked or actually broken I would never return a set because I would expect nothing less than problems in getting replacements sets and I could not fault them for this.
How about when they knowingly send out floaters? I've had orders that arrived in apparently pefect condition, no dings on the shipping box, yet many of the discs inside the well packaged box were floaters.
Old 01-13-08, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by grenier
How about when they knowingly send out floaters? I've had orders that arrived in apparently pefect condition, no dings on the shipping box, yet many of the discs inside the well packaged box were floaters.

Why do you think they purposely sent floaters?
Old 01-13-08, 01:18 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 675 Likes on 451 Posts
Originally Posted by kaze0
Why do you think they purposely sent floaters?
Believe it or not, most people don't care about floaters. I've bought 100 or more floaters, and all of them have worked perfectly.

And if DVD collectors don't care, why would you expect a store or warehouse employee to think twice about a disc that rattles in the case?
Old 01-13-08, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
Believe it or not, most people don't care about floaters. I've bought 100 or more floaters, and all of them have worked perfectly.
I care about floaters, if the disc is scratched up. Sure it may play fine but I paid for a brand new item and expect something that's brand new.

If I wanted surface scratches and scuffs, I'd buy used.
Old 01-13-08, 09:50 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 675 Likes on 451 Posts
I care about floaters, if the disc is scratched up. Sure it may play fine but I paid for a brand new item and expect something that's brand new.

If I wanted surface scratches and scuffs, I'd buy used.
I'm not begrudging you the right to feel that way, that's fine.

What I was trying to say was that you can't expect most of the world, and perhaps everyone that works at these warehouses, from being as particular as you. Floaters mean nothing to them. The disc is sealed, why would they even think twice if it rattled when shaken?

So I don't believe anyone is "purposely sending out floaters". 99.99% of the world just doesn't understand what the fuss is about.
Old 01-14-08, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So I don't believe anyone is "purposely sending out floaters". 99.99% of the world just doesn't understand what the fuss is about.
Haven't people received DVDs from DD that had Best Buy and Wal-Mart stickers on them? I could be wrong, but that would lead me to believe that DD purchases returned "defective" goods.
Old 01-14-08, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not begrudging you the right to feel that way, that's fine.
I get what you're saying too, although I might argue your 99.9% statistic.
Old 01-14-08, 12:58 PM
Suspended

Haven't people received DVDs from DD that had Best Buy and Wal-Mart stickers on them? I could be wrong, but that would lead me to believe that DD purchases returned "defective" goods.
Yes, they do buy overstock from other stores, but not defective returned items. They just buy excess stock from other stores.
Old 01-15-08, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by fitlissa76
Yes, they do buy overstock from other stores, but not defective returned items. They just buy excess stock from other stores.
Would most stores consider floaters defective though? I've returned unopened floaters and they've more then likely gone back on the shelf.
Old 01-15-08, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Stores could care less about Floaters.
Old 01-15-08, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts
Continuing from my post #11 above, I received the so called 'replacement' Alfred Hitchcock set today. Can you believe what these bastards have done ? They have repackaged the same defective set with shrink wrap and sent it back. The same floater in the same title - worse, there is a deep scratch on it this time that the disc does not even play. Will anyone bother buying from these mofos again ?

Also, can anyone suggest what strong action to take against these bastards ? thanks
Old 01-16-08, 08:49 PM
Cool New Member

I think the strongest and best action is to do what you're doing, spread the word of your experiences with them and how they handled it. After reading these messages I can honestly say I will never buy from DD again, regardless of the cost savings. Amazon's prices are just as good for the sets I buy, so is E-Bay and I've had no problems buying from either of those locations. I would rather spend a couple dollars extra compared to the 20% off sales and know my order will come in on time and in working condition than roll the dice with DD. Thanks for the heads up and I'm sorry for your troubles.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.