DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Store Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum-7/)
-   -   Half Price Books (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/567623-half-price-books.html)

Travis McClain 01-07-10 11:25 AM

Half Price Books

Does anyone know how HPB calculates what they'll pay for a specific title? I take them my stack of DVD's, books, etc.; the clerk goes and looks on a computer screen for a bit and then I'm given a quote. I would love to know if there's any way of knowing before I go into the store what I'm likely to get.

Wolf359 01-07-10 11:30 AM

Re: Half Price Books

The very few times I've sold them something, the guy never looks at any computer screen.
They just look at the stuff and then offer you pennies. I think the only factor worth considering is, do they have a hundred of this exact title sitting around.

To me, they really aren't worth the time.

Travis McClain 01-07-10 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Wolf359 (Post 9928339)
The very few times I've sold them something, the guy never looks at any computer screen.
They just look at the stuff and then offer you pennies. I think the only factor worth considering is, do they have a hundred of this exact title sitting around.

To me, they really aren't worth the time.

Debating the value of the place isn't what I intended for this thread, but I'll go ahead and say that I've quit selling online because of all the hassles in recent years. So then I'm left selling face-to-face, and that means either a place like Coconuts/FYE or Half Price Books. Between the two, I'd rather support HPB, where I like to shop.

naitram 01-08-10 09:32 AM

I think they check their inventory on the computer, but they also know what the very common titles are already. Frankly, now is a horrible time to be selling there because places like that are completely overwhelmed with inventory as people sell stuff to pay bills (like myself). I took some books there last month and got about $.10 a piece, but I just wanted the stuff gone and felt bad throwing them away. I could literally barely even get to the buyback counter because of the massive stacks of books they had boughten that day. CD places are the same.

Good luck, but selling through Amazon or such is really the only way to get the most back out of what you're selling.

Wolf359 01-08-10 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by naitram (Post 9930380)
...I took some books there last month and got about $.10 a piece, but I just wanted the stuff gone and felt bad throwing them away...

Why would anyone throw this stuff away. Donate them! Women's shelters, Goodwill, Salvation Army all would be better than getting .10cents.

Just my opinion. :shrug:

forumsmy 01-09-10 09:49 PM

Most, if not all, do not have a computerized inventory..well everytime and place I have asked or overheard someone asking. Some know exactly what they have or atleast where it would be if they had it - usually very knowledgeable people.

Everythingn 02-15-10 02:31 PM

The calculations are just a made up

glassdragon 02-16-10 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by Wolf359 (Post 9931034)
Why would anyone throw this stuff away. Donate them! Women's shelters, Goodwill, Salvation Army all would be better than getting .10cents.

agreed, and if you are really, really worried about the 10 cents you can probably get a receipt and get a tax deductible for them by donating them. You'll probably get more than 10 cents a piece that way too

jjcool 02-16-10 11:54 AM

Yeah. we have a book drop at the local dump, where the books go to a bunch of different charities in the area.

drmar35mm 02-16-10 01:26 PM

Half Price is a great place to buy (especially the $3 DVDs and $1 CDs), but a bad place to sell. It's always interesting to watch the faces of some people when they get their offers: Shocked or crestfallen or baffled. The only reason to take stuff there to "sell" is simply to get it out of the house, get rid of it and pick up enough $ for a latte or two. You might as well donate it to a non-profit and do some good.

Yakuza Bengoshi 02-16-10 02:59 PM

Agreed, though my favorite place to donate media is my local library. Some of it ends up on the shelves and the rest is sold to support the library. Turbotax suggests a deduction of $4 for hardbacks, $2 for softcovers, and $2 for DVDs, which helps too.

story 02-16-10 09:49 PM

I donate my books, CDs, and DVDs to my church rummage sale after getting barely anything for a giant box full of great stuff at HPB. I love to shop there, but it's definitely not the place to sell.

A friend of mine works there and I don't know much about how they price DVDs but I know on paperbacks, for example, they sell for half the cover price and so they have to offer sellers less than 30% of that. This is at a Minneapolis metro store where they actually don't have their inventory in the computer. They're slooowly moving this direction, hopefully in the next few months. More accurate pricing for sellers, better shopping for buyers, etc.