Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Amazon's search engine pisses me off

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-09, 07:55 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I sort by price, I want to sort by AMAZON's price, NOT the goddamn marketplace price! This drives me nuts. I love being able to go to NewEgg every so often and sort the 360 games by price to see what's cheap. Amazon makes it impossible to do the same thing with BDs. How does TvShowsonDVD keep track of all the TV DVD prices and list the discounted ones the way they do? Must be some elaborate script. I should try to write my own.
Old 11-22-09, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Amazon's search engine pisses me off

As soon as I saw the subject line, I knew what it was about. Pisses me off, too.

The strange thing is, if you add things to your want-list, and then sort your want-list by price, it ignores Marketplace prices, and only sorts by Amazon prices. This should be a toggle. I have a want-list of old PS2 games, for example, and most of them aren't available from Amazon, anyway, so I'd prefer to sort by Marketplace prices.

And if there's a Marketplace seller you don't like, you should be able to exclude them from ever showing up in any listing. Drives me crazy to see them listed as a seller when I'm looking through my list. In fact, if I had the power, "Hitgaming Video Games" would be removed from the face of the Earth.

And if there's one or more you really like, you should be able to set them as "preferred," so you can see their listings prioritized.

On top of satisfying customers, Amazon would be getting good feedback as to what sellers people like and don't like.
Old 11-22-09, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't like it either...they need to add an option to sort by amazon.com price by itself. But I think I understand why they do it the way they do...they also make money off the marketplace sales, so it benefits them to show customers those prices as well. It doesn't make it any less annoying,.
Old 11-22-09, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

The only complaint that I have with the search function, is that when I clidk on "only show prime eligible items" it shows prime eligible items, as well as a buttload of items from marketplace sellers that arent prime eligible. It does exclude some of the marketplace sellers though.
Old 11-23-09, 07:25 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheato
As soon as I saw the subject line, I knew what it was about. Pisses me off, too.
Same here. I can't believe they haven't offered better search options yet.
Old 11-23-09, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool
The only complaint that I have with the search function, is that when I clidk on "only show prime eligible items" it shows prime eligible items, as well as a buttload of items from marketplace sellers that arent prime eligible. It does exclude some of the marketplace sellers though.
Are you sure that the items aren't prime eligible? For whatever reason, Amazon doesn't always default to their own listing (even at times when their listing is the cheapest anyway) so it pays to go look at all listings to see if there's a prime-eligible price hidden away in there.
Old 11-23-09, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^ I'm pretty sure that's how it works. So even if a Marketplace seller is selling something for 2 or 3 times what it is available for from someone else, the fact that THAT seller's item is "Prime eligible", or eligible for Free Super Saver Shipping, means the listing shows up, even though it is an outrageous price, padded with the shipping costs (plus), anyway.
Old 11-25-09, 01:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard if you add "amazon" to your search (so "transformers 2 amazon") it will only return results from Amazon. You can also try http://www.isearchbetter.com/ which filters for you.
Old 11-25-09, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

DVDTalk has a crappy search engine too... yet I still come back
Old 11-25-09, 08:28 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
DVDTalk has a crappy search engine too... yet I still come back
I think that part of the problem with DVDTalk's search is that there are about 5 different search buttons, that all work slightly differently.

I always use the "advanced search" option from the 2nd search tab on the line of options a couple inches above here, and always find what I'm looking for.