Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Netflix Misery - What can I Do?

Old 10-01-09, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Netflix Misery - What can I Do?

I currently subscribe to the one disc at a time plan with Netflix. For two weeks, I have not been able to receive any discs.

They sent me Valkyrie, and it never arrived after waiting 5 days. I reported it missing, and they sent me another copy out last Saturday. The disc never arrived either, and the weird thing is they received the first Valkyrie disc back. I called their customer support, and they were puzzled as well. They offered me a free month of service which definitely made me feel better, but what can I do if the problem continues? At best, the turnaround for me is 1 disc a week, and that is with the shipping center literally just 20 miles from me.

My only thought is perhaps the postal worker is stealing my discs. I read about this occuring more now with the economic downturn, but seems pretty stupid to risk a federal crime for a freaking dvd.
Old 10-01-09, 08:12 AM
Banned

Re: Netflix Misery - What can I Do?

Happens all the time. I have a lot of friends who have Netflix and at least once (though most more) this has happen to them. Though to the best of my knowledge they got the discs but Netflix claims they ever got them back. Also to the best of my knowledge they have all called Netflix and everything was worked out. So it looks like Netflix is pretty good with customer service.
Also... I work in a mail room for a large company. So I am at the post office all the time and since the Post Office worker have gotten to know me over the years I've been in the backs of the Post Offices many times. In these visits I have seen a dozen or so tubs sitting on the floor filled with Netflix envelopes waiting to be returned. At that point I realized how incredibly easy it would be for any P.O. employee to go through them and pick out what titles they want to keep. So I'm sure it happens.
Old 10-01-09, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dkedvd View Post
At that point I realized how incredibly easy it would be for any P.O. employee to go through them and pick out what titles they want to keep. So I'm sure it happens.
how would they know what movie it is unless they break the seal and open it up?
Old 10-01-09, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've never had a movie not show up, I had one show up in just the envelope and a note that it got caught in the sorter, but their is a little opening on the back of the envelope where you can look in and see the name of the movie.
Actually I just received a movie from Netflix today and the end of the little opening is ripped like someone looked in to see what movie it is. Luckily they weren't interested in "Scooby Doo and the Ghoul School".

Bob
Old 10-01-09, 12:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by timewaster View Post
1. How hard is that? If you peal the envelope open it is still sickie and can be put back.
2. That little window that shows the barcode... The title is right above (or below i forget) the barcode. All you would have to do it look into the opening. It would take about a whole 5 seconds to see what the title is.
Old 10-01-09, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Our postal delivery person went through a month where I was getting some of my Blockbuster Online and Netflix rentals - and some of someone else's who lived down the street. Apparently, one person (between the two recipients) would get all the movies delivered that one day. The next day, it might be the other person.

I also stopped lining up the inner sleeve so the bar code was visible. It hasn't stopped my movies from being checked in the next day at the Netflix distribution center, and it lowers the risk that a postal worker might take a quick peek and take the movie.
Old 10-01-09, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by timewaster View Post
Even if its a movie they don't want, it not like they paid for it anyway...
Old 10-01-09, 01:18 PM

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/0..._n_297296.html
Old 10-01-09, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I rarely have trouble getting my movies. It's usually somewhere on the journey back to Netflix that they wind up missing. I've wound up with a suspended account in the past because of it.
Old 10-01-09, 05:08 PM

If Netflix sees a bunch of dvd's going missing in a certain area, they notify the postal authorities who then set up surveillance. Most post offices have either cameras or a secret little room which overlooks the work room floor. I have watched people get taken away in handcuffs for stealing. If they even suspect you are stealing they will send out a piece of junk mail with a bad address to your route with something inside that looks enticing. It could be a dollar, a pen, coupon, etc. If you don't dispose of the mail properly and decide to open it up and take something out, then they have got you. You can get away with stealing something little if you do it once. The people that get caught are the ones who take too much like the guy who just recently stole 3000 Netflix movies. It's so dumb to lose your job, pension, health benefits and freedom for some scratched up dvds without any cases.
Old 10-02-09, 08:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by RonG617 View Post
It's so dumb to lose your job, pension, health benefits and freedom for some scratched up dvds without any cases.
I know... If they were brand new or something I could understand...
Old 10-02-09, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RonG617 View Post
If Netflix sees a bunch of dvd's going missing in a certain area, they notify the postal authorities who then set up surveillance. Most post offices have either cameras or a secret little room which overlooks the work room floor. I have watched people get taken away in handcuffs for stealing. If they even suspect you are stealing they will send out a piece of junk mail with a bad address to your route with something inside that looks enticing. It could be a dollar, a pen, coupon, etc. If you don't dispose of the mail properly and decide to open it up and take something out, then they have got you. You can get away with stealing something little if you do it once. The people that get caught are the ones who take too much like the guy who just recently stole 3000 Netflix movies. It's so dumb to lose your job, pension, health benefits and freedom for some scratched up dvds without any cases.
That's good to know. Lucky, the shipping route is small. My dvd probably goes directly from the shipping center to my local post office.

This is just pissing me off. Still did not get my 3rd dvd that was shipped to me, but they received another one back. Maybe the person is watching them, and mailing them back.

Even more troubling, I am not receiving my orders that I made with Hastings.
Old 10-02-09, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I haven't had that problem with Netflix or gamefly but honestly I only have the flix account for streaming on my X-Box the rest is an afterthought.
Old 10-02-09, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by jeffbase34 View Post
That's good to know. Lucky, the shipping route is small. My dvd probably goes directly from the shipping center to my local post office.

This is just pissing me off. Still did not get my 3rd dvd that was shipped to me, but they received another one back. Maybe the person is watching them, and mailing them back.

Even more troubling, I am not receiving my orders that I made with Hastings.
Maybe you should contact your local post office. The carrier could be screwing up and delivering your mail to a neighbor. If you call, then the supervisor will talk to the person carrying your mail and he or she will be careful with your mail from then on and screw up someone else's mail.
Old 10-06-09, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Spicollidriver1 View Post
I haven't had that problem with Netflix or gamefly but honestly I only have the flix account for streaming on my X-Box the rest is an afterthought.

Overall I've had more problems w/ Gamefly than Netflix and I've been w/ Netflix twice as long (if not longer). However since GF started opening more locations it has gotten better. I think I've only had 1 go missing since they opened up the one in PA.
Old 10-07-09, 03:25 AM

I have been pleasantly surprised with my Netflix service since I switched from Blockbuster a few months ago.
Old 10-07-09, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Finally received a Netflix movie after waiting 6 days. Ugh.
Old 10-12-09, 02:39 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

I've only had a couple go missing in the last year or so, but I get a broken disc almost every other week. Usually snapped in half.
Old 10-12-09, 02:47 PM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

Even though today is a holiday they still received my 2 dvd's I mailed back on Saturday and shipped the next 2 in my queue which I should get tomorrow.

I think twice I might have received 2 discs that were unplayable and ironically it was the same disc I believe, but at least 6 months apart. It was 'The Lone Gunmen' disc 1.
Old 10-12-09, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DVDMagic View Post
Even though today is a holiday they still received my 2 dvd's I mailed back on Saturday and shipped the next 2 in my queue which I should get tomorrow.

I think twice I might have received 2 discs that were unplayable and ironically it was the same disc I believe, but at least 6 months apart. It was 'The Lone Gunmen' disc 1.
How could they possibly have received or shipped DVDs today?
Old 10-13-09, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by ben12 View Post
How could they possibly have received or shipped DVDs today?
It may have been a backlog of discs they received that they were using the holiday to catch up on. And just because it's a holiday doesn't mean they can't technically send something. It can be put in the mail but just not processed by the postal people until today.
Old 10-13-09, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by clckworang View Post
It may have been a backlog of discs they received that they were using the holiday to catch up on. And just because it's a holiday doesn't mean they can't technically send something. It can be put in the mail but just not processed by the postal people until today.
Here's the weird thing that happened to me. I went Sunday and put two Netflix DVDs in the mailboxes right outside the post office. This morning I get a notice that Netflix received them. WTF?!
Old 10-13-09, 02:56 PM

Netflix envelopes warp space-time, and sometimes may actually be delivered prior to them being shipped

Blockbuster envelopes, on the other hand, travel through a dimensional portal, where they travel the galaxy before finally returning to Earth a few weeks after being shipped - or so it seems

Seriously, though:

When Netflix changed to the newer envelopes that have the hole cut out for viewing the UPC, they claimed one benefit was that movies would be counted as "received" as soon as they were scanned by the Post Office. If the Post Office pulled from the box first thing in the morning, that might account for it.

That, or Netflix actually has wireless scanners installed inside every Post Office drop box to identify and process envelopes as soon as they are dropped in the box.
Old 10-13-09, 04:59 PM

When Netflix changed to the newer envelopes that have the hole cut out for viewing the UPC, they claimed one benefit was that movies would be counted as "received" as soon as they were scanned by the Post Office.
I'm not sure I buy that because I usually don't line up the barcode w/ the hole and things still move pretty quickly for me. For example I had two ship yesterday and they arrived today even though it was a holiday.
Old 10-13-09, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by nemein View Post
I'm not sure I buy that because I usually don't line up the barcode w/ the hole and things still move pretty quickly for me. For example I had two ship yesterday and they arrived today even though it was a holiday.
I don't necessarily buy it, either - just passing along Netflix's claims. I quit looking at the barcodes before stuffing them in the envelopes shortly after the new envelopes started arriving. Anything I drop in a Post Office box Mon-Fri shows as received the next day, so I'm pretty happy with that.

The fact I can mail a movie back on a Friday evening, have them check it on on Saturday, then ship me a new movie that arrives on Monday means I give Netflix a big

Last edited by Kmical; 10-14-09 at 12:35 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.