DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Store Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum-7/)
-   -   If you ask me for a Fry's card, I will ask to see your manger (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/561771-if-you-ask-me-frys-card-i-will-ask-see-your-manger.html)

Mark Holtz 09-20-09 08:10 PM

If you ask me for a Fry's card, I will ask to see your manger

A weekend or so ago, I went to Frys for their weekly "$12.99 BluRay specials" as well as their cheap cola products. Apparently, their "Fry's card solicitors" were out in force. I generally avoid eye contact, and say, "No." However, I was asked four times. The fourth time, I gave that person a look that she could sense that I got asked way too many times. I responded, "I'm just going to make it perfectly clear.... NO!"

Yes, I have one of those voices that carries. Apparently the word got around... "Don't ask the kid with the aussie hat for a Fry's card."

Weekend of September 5th, I went back in, and purchased two more older Blu-Rays: Spaceballs and Big Trouble in Little China. Total cost: $28 with tax. I approached the cashier, and she asked the usual, "How was your day?" etc. I asked her not to pop the question. She said she was required to, and that I could see the manager. I did. I explained my point of view. He understood, but his hands were kinda tied.

Today, I was in Fry's, and picked up a notebook and a couple bottles of soda. Total cost: $8.97. She asked me if I wanted a Fry's card. I asked to see the manager, and relayed my message.

So, what I am encouraging everyone to do is that whenever they visit a Fry's store and they get asked for a Fry's card, please politely ask for a manager. Maybe if enough people complain, the practice gets stopped.

Cardsfan111 09-20-09 08:22 PM

Re: If you ask me for a Fry's card, I will ask to see your manger

When I first saw this thread title, I thought it was a little early in the year to have nativity scene threads. ;)

I can understand the frustration with being asked multiple times in one visit. Otherwise, this kinda thing doesn't bother me. I can recall usually being asked if I carry a particular card whenever I visit a Borders or FYE store. Never really bothers me.

Kevin M. Dean 09-20-09 11:11 PM

Have a T-shirt made that says "No, I don't want a Fry's card."

dino88 09-20-09 11:49 PM

Before each visit, get a boner just before you walk in.

whotony 09-21-09 01:18 AM

it's called upselling, get over it or don't go shopping anymore.

JP5683 09-21-09 01:36 AM

I have one, but I never use it, the interest is terrible.

Alan Smithee 09-21-09 04:49 AM

Away in a manger, no crib for a bed......

Oh, but your sig says you will want to see them as a manager if they ask. ("I will ask to see you manager".) Maybe that's what they have to do to be promoted to manager there.

I got a Fry's card when their Roseville store opened, since everyone who applied got a prize. I ended up with just a free soda, but better than nothing. I've never used the card since the interest looks pretty high, and whenever they ask if I want to apply for a card now I just tell them I've already got one.

rexinnih 09-21-09 07:25 AM

Haven't been asked in the store anywhere other than at the register, but I simply say no and move on.

Trevor 09-21-09 08:51 AM

This is common in many stores. Every transaction at Target includes a "would you like to put this on your Target card".

I can not fathom complaining about it. Even if they ask 5 times a visit, it takes 5 micro seconds to politely say no and move on.

The time it took you to post this thread is likely more than the total about of time you'll have to say "no" even if you shop there daily for the next 40 years.

E Unit 09-21-09 08:54 AM

Lame. Fry's has been doing this forever. If it's an issue with you, don't go there. But if you keep going there, expect them to ask you - yes, sometimes the dimmer ones will ask over and over - but you'll be at the register for only a couple of minutes. This practice will not go away. I think you're going to have to live with that fact. Holidays are coming around, so keep that in mind - it'll probably get worse.

SethDLH 09-21-09 09:26 AM

I don't have a problem being asked once, but it certainly does get irritating to be repeatedly asked. I'd be doing the same thing as you around the 5th time too.

MBoyd 09-21-09 09:52 AM

I don't think I've ever been asked. If I have it doesn't stand out. Maybe they ask "would you like to put this on your Fry's card?" at the register and I just say "no thanks" instead of getting into the fact I don't have a Fry's a card.

Pistol Pete 09-21-09 10:26 AM

Think of it this way. The store makes more off the credit card fees than they do off the merchandise markup. The people who have the cards are subsidizing your purchase by enabling the store to sell at lower margins and still stay in business.

I just politely ignore them. It's really not too difficult.

hilts 09-21-09 03:06 PM

Lighten up, Francis.

lamphorn 09-21-09 04:26 PM

That's funny, I go to Fry's all the time and haven't been solicited for the card even once that I can remember.

That'sAllFolks 09-21-09 04:31 PM

I ignore them and act like they did not even say it. I won't waste my time even giving these kind of things the time of day. I know. courtesy and all, but I did not go into that store to be hammered about something I do not want.

It is the same w/ telephone solicitors. I do not even give them the courtesy of a listen or a no thank you. I hang up on them in mid-sentence.

Groucho 09-21-09 04:44 PM

My guess is the OP over-reacted one time, and the employees passed word around and deliberately harass him just to see what he'll do.

http://img2.imageshack.us/img2/4350/...ger9474733.jpg

Numanoid 09-21-09 06:02 PM

Well he is wearing an Aussie hat.

Living Dead 09-21-09 07:00 PM

It must take the OP 3 hours to get in and out of Fry's since every time he visits he has to ask for a manager, then stand there and wait for the manager, then explain it to the manager, then walk away feeling dignified as the staff laughs at him behind his back... with the scenario repeated EVERY time someone asks about the card.

Can you imagine doing this three or four times in one visit? What a waste of time and effort.

And why just the anger at Fry's? Virtually every store does this now. Target, Best Buy, every grocery I know of...

cdollaz 09-21-09 09:50 PM

The shirt idea is pretty funny. Just take a black sharpie and write it on a plain white tee. See what reactions you get.

Double_Oh_7 09-22-09 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by lamphorn (Post 9722861)
That's funny, I go to Fry's all the time and haven't been solicited for the card even once that I can remember.

Same here. I honestly didn't know they even had a Fry's card.

DvDDan 09-22-09 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Holtz (Post 9721192)
A weekend or so ago, I went to Frys for their weekly "$12.99 BluRay specials" as well as their cheap cola products. Apparently, their "Fry's card solicitors" were out in force. I generally avoid eye contact, and say, "No." However, I was asked four times. The fourth time, I gave that person a look that she could sense that I got asked way too many times. I responded, "I'm just going to make it perfectly clear.... NO!"

Yes, I have one of those voices that carries. Apparently the word got around... "Don't ask the kid with the aussie hat for a Fry's card."

Weekend of September 5th, I went back in, and purchased two more older Blu-Rays: Spaceballs and Big Trouble in Little China. Total cost: $28 with tax. I approached the cashier, and she asked the usual, "How was your day?" etc. I asked her not to pop the question. She said she was required to, and that I could see the manager. I did. I explained my point of view. He understood, but his hands were kinda tied.

Today, I was in Fry's, and picked up a notebook and a couple bottles of soda. Total cost: $8.97. She asked me if I wanted a Fry's card. I asked to see the manager, and relayed my message.

So, what I am encouraging everyone to do is that whenever they visit a Fry's store and they get asked for a Fry's card, please politely ask for a manager. Maybe if enough people complain, the practice gets stopped.

patients my friend, move on. i understand its frustrating but they have a job to do. People dont yell at you for asking "do you want fries with that?" do they?

Cheato 09-22-09 12:29 PM

Was that actually an attempt at insulting someone by implying they work in the fast food industry? While making a moronic spelling mistake(*)? Hey that is awesome.

(*) I know, the entire reply is a ridiculous string of incorrect capitalization and punctuation, but the misspelling was more stupidity than laziness.

Of course, if your post was just having fun, I guess you just forgot the ;) or :p. Me, too.

jjcool 09-22-09 12:55 PM

Simple solution. Stop shopping in any big box store.

DvDDan 09-22-09 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Cheato (Post 9724305)
Was that actually an attempt at insulting someone by implying they work in the fast food industry? While making a moronic spelling mistake(*)? Hey that is awesome.

(*) I know, the entire reply is a ridiculous string of incorrect capitalization and punctuation, but the misspelling was more stupidity than laziness.

Of course, if your post was just having fun, I guess you just forgot the ;) or :p. Me, too.

really just wanted to see if someone would take the time to respond to a moronic post. looks like my work here is done