Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Borders: How do they still stay in business?

Old 09-05-09, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Borders: How do they still stay in business?

I went into Borders bookstore earlier tonight. This was my first time in months that I've gone into one and was reminded why i rarely shop there. The Sookie Stackhouse collection was $47.94. Amazon has it for $33.56. That's a huge difference. Almost all their other books were so much more compared to Amazon and other B&M stores like Target or Walmart.

How is this place still open in the current economy? I would think Boarders would wanna compete with Amazon and price things lower than them.
Old 09-05-09, 10:26 PM
Banned

Re: Borders: How do they still stay in business?

I wonder the same for Barnes and Nobles but apparently they made the same pact with the devil that Radio Shack has.

As for Borders, they are not in good financial shape and I could see them going under before the year ends. They had plans to put 4 additional stores in Puerto Rico, one of the few places where they have been succesful. Those plans have been canceled because they don't think they'll make it by the end of the year.
Old 09-06-09, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Simple, the internet has killed B&M bookstores. You can choose to patronize them if you want to have a local bookstore in your town, or not. But its unfair to compare an e-tailer with much less overhead than a normal store.
Old 09-06-09, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mhg83 View Post
How is this place still open?
The soccer moms like to gather there and drink their specialty coffees and spend their husbands money, while their spoiled little brats are in school. They don't care if the book they buy costs $29 or $22.
Old 09-06-09, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They have been bleeding money for quite some time now. I simply don't see them lasting very much longer neither. Barnes & Noble is superior to them in every way.
Old 09-06-09, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I used to love buying and special ordering CD's there, but I can tell they've been getting hammered because their CD and DVD section has shrunk a lot.

But truthfully, if there is a time when I need a book *NOW* and not 5 days from today, Borders and B&N are nice to have around.

Assuming they have the book in stock.
Old 09-06-09, 05:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by UAIOE View Post
I used to love buying and special ordering CD's there, but I can tell they've been getting hammered because their CD and DVD section has shrunk a lot.
I used to do the same with dvds a few years back. If Best Buy didn't have it, odds are good Borders would. Now, the store I used to frequent doesn't have a cd/dvd section at all. I was extremely disappointed to discover that fact.
Old 09-06-09, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper View Post
I used to do the same with dvds a few years back. If Best Buy didn't have it, odds are good Borders would. Now, the store I used to frequent doesn't have a cd/dvd section at all. I was extremely disappointed to discover that fact.
The selection at the one here got so bad, I'd get those 40% off coupons and not find a single thing I'd want to buy.
Old 09-06-09, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk God

I think they stay in business, even though they are losing money, because there are people out there that still don't know the internet is a valuable tool to find bargains on items. I'm looking at you old people!
Old 09-06-09, 01:46 PM

If they go out, I will miss the shelf browsing. Found lots of interesting things I would never have known about if not for browsing in a store. That said, I do 99% of my book/music/dvd shopping online, so I guess I am not helping them much.
Old 09-06-09, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Al_Tahoe View Post
The soccer moms like to gather there and drink their specialty coffees and spend their husbands money, while their spoiled little brats are in school. They don't care if the book they buy costs $29 or $22.
Dont forget those of us that like to look at the soccer milfs in their low cut tops and short skirts. Especially during the summer, when they have the AC cranked.

Originally Posted by RonG617 View Post
If they go out, I will miss the shelf browsing. Found lots of interesting things I would never have known about if not for browsing in a store. That said, I do 99% of my book/music/dvd shopping online, so I guess I am not helping them much.
Thatis why I like Barnes and Noble. The one near me is open late, abnd I can go in a look around for a good amount of time. Once in a while they have decent sales, like the Criterion sale.

I have never bought anything from Borders, however.
Old 09-07-09, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I shop at Borders all the time. Just a few months ago I bought the Sookie Stackhouse box set for somewhere around $33 (they give 40% off coupons out all the time). It was a couple of dollars cheaper at Amazon, but for $2, I'd rather have my set in hand than wait for it to ship.

I like to go there, get a coffee, and read for a while with my son. He reads manga, which can get expensive considering they take 20 minutes to read. For five bucks or so, we can spend an evening there and he can read $$$ for free. I read all of the Fables graphic novels there earlier this summer.
Old 09-09-09, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll never understand how B&N is beating Borders. Borders sends out coupons for 30% and sometimes even 40% off of anything in the store. That brings me into their store, where I get a cup of coffee and browse around for something to get a discount on... I never ever buy anything at Barnes and Noble (although I will browse there and then go to Borders to buy) because it's always at full retail price.
Old 09-09-09, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by tasha99 View Post
I shop at Borders all the time. Just a few months ago I bought the Sookie Stackhouse box set for somewhere around $33 (they give 40% off coupons out all the time). It was a couple of dollars cheaper at Amazon, but for $2, I'd rather have my set in hand than wait for it to ship.

I like to go there, get a coffee, and read for a while with my son. He reads manga, which can get expensive considering they take 20 minutes to read. For five bucks or so, we can spend an evening there and he can read $$$ for free. I read all of the Fables graphic novels there earlier this summer.
And there's the other reason why I would never pick up manga or graphic novels at one of these places. Why pay full retail for what is essentially a used copy? It gets ridiculous when the whole aisle is cluttered with kids sitting on the floor with stacks of manga.
Old 09-09-09, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by lamphorn View Post
I'll never understand how B&N is beating Borders. Borders sends out coupons for 30% and sometimes even 40% off of anything in the store. That brings me into their store, where I get a cup of coffee and browse around for something to get a discount on... I never ever buy anything at Barnes and Noble (although I will browse there and then go to Borders to buy) because it's always at full retail price.

Not to mention Borders doesn't charge you for their member card. A card which actually earns you Borders bucks once you spend a certain amount versus the nothing that you earn with the B&N card.

I do miss when Borders had a nice Criterion selection like B&N

Last edited by Maxflier; 09-09-09 at 11:46 AM.
Old 09-09-09, 01:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by lamphorn View Post
They made the same deal with the Devil that Radio Shack has. I find it almost impossible that B&N has a better business model than Borders.
Old 09-09-09, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dx23 View Post
They made the same deal with the Devil that Radio Shack has. I find it almost impossible that B&N has a better business model than Borders.
I will say that I love Barnes and Noble, but I hardly buy there because they don't do the 30% coupon thing. What they do have over Borders is atmosphere. Borders is just a little to antiseptic for a bookstore. Barnes and Noble feels more like a bookstore, is more welcoming somehow.
Old 09-09-09, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

one thing i dig about borders is the bargain section for kids. often, they will rotate various $2.99 - $6.99 childrens books which are kinda cool. i dunno if b & n does this.
Old 09-11-09, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Am I the only one who remembers when they DID price all their DVDs below MSRP? It started in 2000, they had signs saying "New lower DVD prices!" and most titles were about $5 off list price. I went nuts the first day and usually went there right away for all my DVDs- the limited-edition Men In Black was $30. Times I went in just to look I usually ended up walking out with something. Then prices started creeping back up by a couple dollars until they were eventually list price again, and I quit buying DVDs there.
Old 09-11-09, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You must be, I don't recall their DVD's being that price. Besides, I bought my MiB LE off of Amazon back then.

But I think I remember their CD's actually being somewhat comparable to the likes of Best Buy and CC way back when.
Old 09-11-09, 02:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
Am I the only one who remembers when they DID price all their DVDs below MSRP? It started in 2000, they had signs saying "New lower DVD prices!" and most titles were about $5 off list price. I went nuts the first day and usually went there right away for all my DVDs- the limited-edition Men In Black was $30. Times I went in just to look I usually ended up walking out with something. Then prices started creeping back up by a couple dollars until they were eventually list price again, and I quit buying DVDs there.
There $5 off until the company was sold to the idiots that have it now about 3 years ago and they decided to priced everything retail and on the website $1-$5 dollars over retail or over $400 dollars for things like the Beatles Mono set.

http://www.borders.com/online/store/...=4988006873612
Old 09-11-09, 02:40 PM
Cool New Member

I would frequent Borders for a DVD or CD when I knew Best Buy wouldn't have it and I was armed with a 30% coupon that brought the price down to an Amazon-like price. But now that they've cut the DVD/CD stock in half, they rarely have anything I want that Best Buy doesn't, so I don't even bother anymore.
Old 09-11-09, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Borders here closed over a year ago. The next closest one is like 30 miles away so I never go there. I prefer Barnes & Nobles for books anyway. I never shopped there for anything else.
Old 09-12-09, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

my local Borders has free jazz "concert" events sponsored by the local jazz radio station. Basically a free concert and meet & greet with the jazz artist - Peter White, Mindi Abair, Jim Brickman, Rick Braun, Jessy J, etc.

these events bring in a huge turnout, where people buy the CDs, coffee, etc.
Old 09-12-09, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've tended to favor Borders over B&N because it seems like they have a better selection of books than B&N. B&N seems kind of older and conservative, whereas Borders feels younger and has a wider selection of books on offbeat/obscure subjects.

Combined with the 20-30-40% off coupons that Borders puts out regularly, and it's a no-brainer.

The only area that B&N beats Borders in for me is their remainder/bargain selection. Borders generally has few remainders, while B&N regularly gets last year's major publisher hardcovers. I think I've bought ten "bargain" hardcovers at B&N in the last couple of months.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.