Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Borders: How do they still stay in business?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Borders: How do they still stay in business?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-09, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Borders: How do they still stay in business?

I was always under the impression that if you viewed a magazine/book and spilled your drink on it, you had to buy it....or that was the proper thing to do.

I guess I'm an oddball.
Old 11-04-09, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
And then spill coffee and drop muffin crumbs all over the books you're reading, so someone gets a nice little surprise when they actually do buy that book you spent the afternoon reading for free.

(I hate this shit, the idea that someone can sit in a bookstore and read a book, break the binding, spill food all over it, and then put it back on the shelf.)
yes you are basically buying used books at new book prices
Old 11-04-09, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
No kiddin'.

The Borders closest to me is a medium to small store in a rather exclusive community. They recently went to a system where you need to request a token to get into the rest rooms on account of the mess and vandalism taking place in there. I was amazed when the associate told me this, as again, this is a really nice preppy town with no bums or miscreants.
I literally would have customers come to the info desk to complain to me about the washrooms ..and mostly the ladies room believe it or not
Old 11-05-09, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For whatever reason, the Borders in Northridge, California puts all their American comic book trade paperbacks and graphic novels in a locked glass case (the Manga is not locked away). The last time I was there I wanted to take a look at one of them, a compilation of comic books that were originally released in the 1970's. I wanted to see where the reprinted issues started. So off I go to search for an employee to open up the locked case. I was on the second floor of the two story store and it took me 20 minutes before I could spot an employee. I can say this literally because after five minutes of searching, I began to time it to see how long it would take.

I finally found an employee who was so bewilderingly distracted that at first he had no idea what I was talking about. He finally disappeared to find the key to the glass case and met me in that section. I told him that I had never been in a bookstore where they locked up the graphic novels and asked him why they did it in this store? I assumed it was because of potential theft? He said he had no idea, but thought maybe the store just wanted to keep them in good condition. Anyway, he took out the book I wanted to look at, tucked it under his arm and started to walk away. I asked him where he was going and he said the book needed to go downstairs so it could be rung up. I told him I wasn't sure I was going to buy it yet and he said that it needed to go downstairs anyway and be stored behind the counter until I was ready to buy it. I told him I needed to look at it first to make sure I wanted to buy it at all. He said: "Well, how long are you going to be? I need to get this downstairs asap." I asked him why and he said it's policy with anything that comes out of the glass case. I asked him why and told him the book was only worth $17. He said he didn't make the policy. I asked him if I could glance at the book and he gave it to me. I decided it was not the one I wanted, so I handed it back to him and he opened the glass case and threw the book back on the shelf so that the cover bent. Then he walked away. Sigh...........................

This was the same store that once had The Greatest Hits Of Michael Jackson playing on an endless loop and when I requested that they at least mix it up with some other music I was told no because corporate wanted Michael Jackson to play all day and night.

Add to that the filthy restroom, the soiled carpeting, outrageous pricing which is ooften over the MSRP and the lack of virtually any customer service whatsoever and this particular BORDERS in Northridge has seen the last of me. You want a reason to shop online? Go to that store.
Old 11-06-09, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

And it starts...

Borders to close 200 Waldenbooks stores, cut jobs
Old 11-06-09, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Originally Posted by Adboy151
Doesn't seem like that big of deal. Seems like smaller chain book stores have been going away for the past ten or so years.

All of the B Dalton and Waldenbook stores around me closed up shortly after the big Barnes & Noble and Borders stores opened up.

Sort of surprised that they'll still have 130 mall stores open. None of the malls around me have any more book/music/video stores, except for an FYE store. I'm guesing that increased compeition from "big box" stores like Best Buy, Borders, and B&N have cut into their profit margins, leaving the malls stores focused on selling higher margin things like clothes, jewelry, and over-priced tchokes.
Old 11-07-09, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The mall near me lost its B. Dalton & Waldenbooks years ago.

I was discussing this topic with the girlfriend (she still enjoys going to Borders), and she kinda agrees that cleanliness has gone down some at the store here. She says it's isn't terrible...but its not as good as it once was. While B&N still seems to be plugging along nicely.
Old 11-07-09, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Well, in fairness to any book-seller, the cost of books has inflated at a much higher rate than other entertainment media in the last decade. The costs of paper and shipment, plus the amount of shelf space consumed by such products, makes it harder for books to be an easy sell. Then, you factor in the ways in which brick & mortar stores have tried to offer an in-person alternative to the frequently cheaper, yet distant, online sales (i.e., coffee, guest author appearances, etc.) and realize those carry their own costs.

As far as Borders vs. Barnes & Noble, I'm in the camp that wonders why people pay for a B&N Member account to get 10% off their purchases, rather than the free Borders account with frequent 30-40% coupons. That said, I confess that between the two I prefer browsing at B&N because of the ambiance of the place, and the fact that the closest one of their stores is much more convenient for me than the nearest Borders.

The majority of my book purchases, however, come from Half Price Books. They have a greater variety of titles at any given time, it seems, and even there I rarely find myself needing to pay half of the list price (their general price scheme) because of how frequently they run sales and clearance older stock. And, at least at the HPB I frequent, most books are in like new condition or better, meaning that by the time I get it home and put it on my bookcase, you'd never be able to tell that I just bought a used, 10-year old hardcover for $2.00.
Old 11-07-09, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Perhaps those member accounts are keeping B&N afloat.

I'm not much of a book reader (my GF is) so my main motivation to peruse such places is for either magazines or music/movies. The problem is that both places have limited selection and high prices when it comes to music/movies.

I will say that B&N does win with atmosphere, but that is about it.
Old 11-07-09, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm surprised they still operate any Waldenbooks given their "Borders Kiosk" brand which essentially replicates the Waldenbooks function.

As for the $25 B&N membership, I have to say, I have literally saved hundreds of dollars over the last six moths or so with this, on account of the 10% membership discount, coupons, and other members-only promotions.

I was able to get The Beatles in Mono box set for $150 + tax during release week. This alone paid for my membership, given the prices at Amazon, Best Buy, and Borders, if you could even find one.

I also went hog-wild on the last Criterion sale, saving an extra 10% + $5 on each title I purchased.
Old 11-07-09, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I agree. Normally I stay away from any store club that costs money to join, but with the amount of money i've saved in the past year, I paid for the $25 many times over.