DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Store Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum-7/)
-   -   Netflix/Blockbuster for Blue-Ray (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/560684-netflix-blockbuster-blue-ray.html)

timewaster 08-31-09 11:24 AM

Netflix/Blockbuster for Blue-Ray

I've been switching back and forth between netflix and BB the past few years.
I've noticed that i have a MUCH better chance at getting a new release from BB than netflix. I am looking to pick up a blu-ray player soon. Will i also have a better chance at getting a new release blue-ray movie from BB than netflix?

I prefer to stick with netflix because of their on-demand movie feature, but i do not want to wait 1+ month to view a new release.

mndtrp 08-31-09 08:45 PM

Re: Netflix/Blockbuster for Blue-Ray

A better question would be, which company will you have a better chance getting a Blu-ray that isn't cracked.

E Unit 08-31-09 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by mndtrp (Post 9680632)
A better question would be, which company will you have a better chance getting a Blu-ray that isn't cracked.

That's why I quite Blockbuster a while ago. I have yet to get a cracked Blu Ray from Netflix. The wait is a couple of weeks for new releases for me. Not a big issue really for me.

timewaster 09-01-09 10:50 AM

i've never gotten a cracked dvd from BB. hopefully it would be the same for blue-ray.

mndtrp 09-01-09 06:41 PM

Blu-rays are more prone to cracking than DVDs. Netflix didn't have a lot, but it was enough that the price increase wasn't worth it.

mraw 09-01-09 06:56 PM

I remember waiting over 2 months for "The Incredible Hulk" on Blu-ray from Netflix (and it was in my #1 slot that entire time). That was my breaking point. I suspended the account for three months, but when that expired I cancelled the membership. When I first joined Blockbuster, it took two weeks for me to receive my first disc. I now rely on my DVR.

rexinnih 09-02-09 07:19 AM

Had a period when they first started offering Blu-rays at Netflix in which I received a few cracked discs. Since then, haven't had any problems. Haven't used Blockbuster so can't offer any insight there.

Gizmo 09-02-09 03:10 PM

No one carries Blue-ray

Snowmaker 09-03-09 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD (Post 9684595)
No one carries Blue-ray

That's what I was going to say.

Although I think they sell Bleu-raie in France.

timewaster 09-04-09 01:23 PM

ive been waiting over a month now for the Watchmen dvd in netflix and it is still showing as "long wait". Just bought my blue-ray player and added the blue-ray option. The watchmen blue-ray version shows up as available now so i guess the queue for dvds is longer than blue-ray.

whotony 09-07-09 06:29 PM

I have an employee online membership.
it's 2 out per month for free.
I signed up 7 days ago and have had 4 in my Q, 2 at the top available, 3th short wait and the 4th not available.
I'm still waiting for the first one to ship even though right at the top of the Q
it says first available disc will ship in one business day.

How can they expect me to recomend this to people?
I have customers come in everyday saying they're dvds take forever to ship even if they are available from the top of their Q.

timewaster 09-08-09 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by whotony (Post 9693745)
I signed up 7 days ago and have had 4 in my Q, 2 at the top available, 3th short wait and the 4th not available.
I'm still waiting for the first one to ship even though right at the top of the Q

I have customers come in everyday saying they're dvds take forever to ship even if they are available from the top of their Q.

This is Blockbuster Online you are talking about?

whotony 09-08-09 11:57 AM

Yep.

fujishig 09-08-09 05:59 PM

Why would you want to sell it to people? If they sign up for the online service don't they just stop coming into your store (or coming into your store just to get free rentals)?

wormraper 09-08-09 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by whotony (Post 9693745)

that was my experience when renting from BB online. Loathed it. Not only that when they shipped out a disc it took 3 days to get to me...From Phoenix to Tucson!!!! I have a Netflix disc ship out I get it next day, unless it was sent from a really far away loaction (happens every once in a while) where it would take an arderous 2 days to get to me

My Other Self 09-08-09 10:00 PM

I honestly thought they stopped the BB Online thing. I stopped seeing commercials for it a long time ago. Now it's just Netflix.

DvDDan 09-09-09 02:49 AM

half the reason it takes blockbuster so long to get you a movie sometimes is becasue of the employees. The movies ship from the stores not from a facility like netflix. I remeber when i workd at BB, i would package the movies to ship out everyday the list came in, then it would take my manager a week to ship them becasue they were the only ones who could ship the movies. Rediculous. I like netflix.

whotony 09-09-09 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by DvDDan (Post 9697006)
half the reason it takes blockbuster so long to get you a movie sometimes is becasue of the employees. The movies ship from the stores not from a facility like netflix. I remeber when i workd at BB, i would package the movies to ship out everyday the list came in, then it would take my manager a week to ship them becasue they were the only ones who could ship the movies. Rediculous. I like netflix.

Uh huh, good job with that post there.

This is not entirely true.
There are some select areas that do ship from an actual BBV stores but this is not the norm, it is only in a few small test areas.

timewaster 09-09-09 11:23 AM

yeah. the return shipping label i get for BB is some warehouse in flushing queens.

styl3s 09-09-09 12:21 PM

BB's online rental service is a joke, stick with netflix.

DvDDan 09-10-09 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by whotony (Post 9697180)
Uh huh, good job with that post there.

This is not entirely true.
There are some select areas that do ship from an actual BBV stores but this is not the norm, it is only in a few small test areas.

Depends on the area mostly, this was in cincinnati. We shipped to areas in Kentucky, and kentucky shipped to areas in ohio. Made no sense at all.

MoviePhanatic00 09-18-09 10:28 AM

Over the past 6 mos or so, I have been getting more new Blu release from BB than I ever did from Netflix, and at about $5 cheaper a month.