DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Store Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum-7/)
-   -   Question about returning Directv HD Receiver to Best Buy (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/560608-question-about-returning-directv-hd-receiver-best-buy.html)

DJariya 08-29-09 03:22 AM

Question about returning Directv HD Receiver to Best Buy

Hey Guys
I just bought a $99 Directv HD Receiver and new HDTV I bought at Best Buy tonight.

I am already a Directv subscriber and I was unaware that being a Directv subscriber, I already qualified for a Free HD Receiver from them. I noticed it on the web site.

Now, this may sound complex, but can I return the receiver back to Best Buy and get my money back and then order the free receiver from Directv?

Directv needs to upgrade my Dish so that I can receive HD signals and that won't happen until Friday. So, as of right now I can't receive HD signals and I'm currently getting SD signals from the receiver that I am replacing.

Directv already activated the HD Receiver even though I can't use it right now. Do I need to call them and Deactivate it so I can return it?

Any help to this question would be appreciated.

rich-y 08-29-09 08:40 PM

Re: Question about returning Directv HD Receiver to Best Buy

So, you purchased it and OPENED it already?

If so, I doubt you're going to have any luck returning it.

I believe they print their return policy on their receipts (check the back).

Doc Moonlight 08-29-09 09:05 PM

I would think that if you've got your receipt and it's less than 30 days you would not have a problem returning it.

juanmgonzalez 08-29-09 10:25 PM

Yes, no problem returning it within the return period.

Make sure you return it with everything that came in the box, otherwise they'll hit you with a restocking fee.

Deftones 08-29-09 10:46 PM

You shouldn't have a problem as long as you have the receipt.

dablueguy 08-30-09 02:08 AM

What I would do (and I know others who have done this) is call Directv and tell them what happened and see if they will credit your account for $99. If the first CSR won't do this, call back and get another one. Look over at DBSTalk for all the info.

rich-y 09-05-09 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by dablueguy (Post 9677640)
What I would do (and I know others who have done this) is call Directv and tell them what happened and see if they will credit your account for $99. If the first CSR won't do this, call back and get another one. Look over at DBSTalk for all the info.

How about an update? Were you able to return the dish?

DJariya 09-05-09 01:05 PM

Yes, surprisingly I was able to return the entire package to Best Buy and got my money back. I initially called Directv and asked them and they were unsure, so they told me just to go to BB and see what happens. Even the box said to not return to store, but return to DTV. However, when I went in, the Customer Service person was more than happy to take it back. She opened the box and made sure all the wires and especially the card were in it and it was smooth sailing.

When I got home, I did realize something funny. I actually forgot to put back the HDMI cable LOL. Now I have an extra HDMI cable lying around.

Later on, I called Directv directly and re-ordered the HD Receiver directly from the them and got it for free along w/ free professional installation.

Xbox69 09-05-09 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 9690578)
When I got home, I did realize something funny. I actually forgot to put back the HDMI cable LOL. Now I have an extra HDMI cable lying around.

HDMI cables are worth about a hundred dollars! How could you??? :p