DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Store Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum-7/)
-   -   RadioShack to Become "The Shack" (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/559444-radioshack-become-shack.html)

My Other Self 08-06-09 07:49 PM

RadioShack to Become "The Shack"

I don't have a link since I just saw it on the NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams. Apparently they want a new image, so they're changing it to "The Shack".

Sorry, but how are they even still open? I would've thought they would've been one of the first stores to close when the economy started tanking.

TGM 08-06-09 07:53 PM

Re: RadioShack to Become "The Shack"

I guess the word "radio" doesn't quite instill consumer confidence in a (supposedly) high-tech store.

..... although in retrospect, neither does "the shack"

jfoobar 08-06-09 07:55 PM

Yeah, this was in the news a few days ago. I guess they figure if it worked for "KFC", it can work for them.

All of the RS stores near me are in fairly low-rent strip malls and I can't remember the last time I saw one that had closed. I still use them now and again for various electronic odds and ends.

Supposedly, their strategic plan going forward will be to devote even more effort into mobile phone sales.

bwvanh114 08-06-09 07:56 PM

Pizza Hut is now The Hut
Radio Shack is now The Shack

Apparently Taco Bell will be The Shits

Sigh. This feels like Idiocracy.

jfoobar 08-06-09 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe (Post 9627762)
..... although in retrospect, neither does "the shack"

Yeah, I get a real Ted Kaczynski's cabin vibe.

http://extweeme.files.wordpress.com/...mber-cabin.jpg

big whoppa 08-06-09 08:01 PM

Whatever they are doing, they're doing right. They've been in business for ages and outlasted other giants like Circuit City and Comp USA.

X 08-06-09 08:01 PM

So they're removing "Rat" from their name?

DGibFen 08-06-09 08:10 PM

It would have been smarter had they renamed it "Da Shaq". Of course, they would be run out of business in LA, but that's a small price to pay.

Timber 08-06-09 08:30 PM

I honestly can't believe they're still around. Do they specialize in anything specific? All I really see in there is cell phones, and radio controlled cars.

bunkaroo 08-06-09 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Timber (Post 9627844)
I honestly can't believe they're still around. Do they specialize in anything specific? All I really see in there is cell phones, and radio controlled cars.

Maybe the battery club is still going strong.

Timber 08-06-09 08:38 PM

I got tired of making up address to give them in the mid 90's so I don't think I've purchased a thing from there since.

nickdawgy 08-06-09 08:43 PM

Everyone is trying to be so hip nowadays.

Cardsfan111 08-06-09 08:43 PM

I can't say I know for sure why they're still open. My only theory based on the one closest to me: It's not situated with all the other malls/retailers. The only times I've gone there is when I've needed one specific item and didn't want to go near the real high-traffic retail area.

crazyronin 08-06-09 08:47 PM

If I need a 1N34A diode in a hurry, they were the go to place.

If they would only sell some 2000 ohm headsets, I would be happy.

covenant 08-06-09 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by big whoppa (Post 9627782)
Whatever they are doing, they're doing right. They've been business for ages and outlasted other giants like Circuit City and Comp USA.

Evidently also doing good enough to sponsor a pro cycling team, featuring you-know-who:

http://www.teamradioshack.com/getready/

...which will also be sponsored by Nike and Trek. That's heady company for a lowly electronics store.

VinVega 08-06-09 09:46 PM

What a horrible idea..."The Shack?" -ohbfrank-

calhoun07 08-06-09 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by big whoppa (Post 9627782)
Whatever they are doing, they're doing right. They've been in business for ages and outlasted other giants like Circuit City and Comp USA.

That's because they have better trained employees, IMHO. Walking into one of those other bigger stores was like walking into a void if you didn't know exactly what you needed. I've found Radio Shack employees to be very knowledgeable about their products and very good in helping me find what suits my needs.

But, yeah..."The Shack" is a lousy name. Terrible is this idea.

Deftones 08-06-09 10:29 PM

You must not live near small towns. They franchise them out to people in small towns that aren't big enough for a Wal-Mart or Best Buy. They can make a killing because half of their product (cable) has incredible markup.

Josh-da-man 08-06-09 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by covenant (Post 9627885)
Evidently also doing good enough to sponsor a pro cycling team, featuring you-know-who:

http://www.teamradioshack.com/getready/

...which will also be sponsored by Nike and Trek. That's heady company for a lowly electronics store.

Radio Shack also sponsored the Rolling Stones Bigger Bang tour a couple of years ago.

Josh-da-man 08-06-09 11:05 PM

Even CEO can't figure out how Radio Shack still in business.

"Even the name 'RadioShack'—can you imagine two less appealing words placed next to one another?" Day said. "What is that, some kind of World War II terminology? Are ham radio operators still around, even? Aren't we in the digital age?"

"I'd like to capitalize on the store's strong points, but I honestly don't know what they are," Day said. "Every location is full of bizarre adapters, random chargers, and old boom boxes, and some sales guy is constantly hovering over you. It's like walking into your grandpa's basement. You always expect to see something cool, but it never delivers."

The Edit King 08-06-09 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by VinVega (Post 9627998)
What a horrible idea..."The Shaq?" -ohbfrank-

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x...shaq-1-1-1.jpg

reverie 08-06-09 11:13 PM

I'll add my voice to those wondering how they're still in business. Heck, I don't understand how they still have employees. I know someone who works for them, and it isn't pretty! As a "for example", they have a cell phone quota they have to reach.. and both he and the manager of his store have been close to being fired for not selling/pushing enough of them in a month.

The Edit King 08-06-09 11:20 PM

Here's yet another, 'They Suck' vote.

There's one right down the street from me but I'll actually drive miles to get something I need just to avoid the store & it's employees. It's like the sky darkens and I start to feel like an orphan when I drive past the place.

-No Shack for Old Theeks :eek:

dx23 08-07-09 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 9628126)

I was going to post that here. It's one of the funniest things from The Onion. And really, how the hell do they stay open? Everything they sell can be found everywhere else, even at Best Buy, much cheaper. The only thing I can think of is that the owners made a pact with the devil to keep the chain open for all eternity.

Heat 08-07-09 12:20 AM

Radio Shack is staying Radio Shack, they just want to be called "The Shack" and will be promoting that in their ads.

Kentucky Fried Chicken changed their name to KFC.

Pizza Hut toyed with the idea of changing their name to "The Hut", but are sticking with "Pizza Hut".