DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Store Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum-7/)
-   -   Wal-Mart putting Blu-Rays in plastic cases? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/558530-wal-mart-putting-blu-rays-plastic-cases.html)

adam_omega 07-21-09 10:08 AM

Wal-Mart putting Blu-Rays in plastic cases?

I noticed late last week that my local Wal-Mart in Albany, GA had put all their Blu-Ray movies in plastic theft cases and put theft cord devices on thicker boxed Blu-Ray movies. I find it really distressing because these plastic cases are so tight that you can clearly see that they've ruined the slip covers in the process.

Aand even worse, today I went into Wal-Mart and they had removed ALL the slip covers from the Tuesday new releases like Coraline and Watchmen (which was meant to have a lenticular slip cover). It's crazy to think they're just pulling them off and throwing them away especially when Wal-Mart likes charging full price for Blu-Ray movies the majority of the time.

Has anyone else seen their Wal-Mart start doing this?

Guess I won't be buying any Blu-Ray movies from my local Wal-Mart anymore...

- Adam

DirkUSA 07-21-09 10:50 AM

Re: Wal-Mart putting Blu-Rays in plastic cases?

My wal-mart has all the blu-rays locked up in a cabinet and you have to ask an employee to get it for you and those employees are never there when you need them. But no anti theft cases, not yet!

Dirk

Gizmo 07-21-09 02:17 PM

Yes - just like some Best Buys and Targets do in high-theft areas.

jjcool 07-21-09 02:49 PM

Around my neck of the woods, the blue rays are loose. Some of the boxsets/season sets are in the plastic cases. I think the only place that has any dvds or blue rays in a cabinet is barnes and noble.

E Unit 07-21-09 03:22 PM

There's a couple of Wal mart's in my area that have been doing that since pretty much day 1.

Ajay C 07-22-09 12:13 AM

Adam, I have observed and agree with everything you point out in your post.

Over the course of visiting several different retailers, I had to go through probably 100 Watchmen Blu-Rays today before finding one with a slipcover that had NOT been damaged by a plastic clamshell.

I had an even tougher time with the new Blu-ray 300, whose cover is actually a BOOK! Much easier to damage and far fewer copies to choose from, to be sure. And the Best Buy exclusive comic books were ALL mangled beyond repair by having been jammed/crushed to fit inside the clamshell.

F*cking burns me up.

Al_Tahoe 07-22-09 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by adam_omega (Post 9583767)
It's crazy to think they're just pulling them off and throwing them away

Time to start hanging around the local Wal-Mart dumpster. :)

komsik 07-22-09 03:03 AM

I was also looking at the new releases of watchmen and they have some in the plastic boxes on the new release shelf and they also have some that are loose in a cardboard display. I guess if I am going to try and steal one ill go for the ones without the plastic box around it.

They also had a glass display case but I didn't check to see if they also had watchmen in there as well.

Alan Smithee 07-22-09 04:31 AM

It pisses me off when they use these cases and STILL put their stupid price tags on the unwrapped slipcovers!

stingermck 07-22-09 07:53 AM

I doubt they are throwing slipcovers away, they probably arrive that way. I know when i worked there, we would not have had time to do this.

Brent L 07-22-09 09:33 AM

I'm so glad that my local WM stores haven't started doing this. It sure seems like almost every other WM store not right here close to me is doing it though.

pridesticks06 07-22-09 02:15 PM

My local WM stores had not been doing this, but I noticed the past two weeks that they have started putting new releases in the cases, slipcover and all. Very disappointing.

b2net 07-22-09 03:44 PM

Still better than SAMs when they remove the discs from the case and expect you to take an already opened case to the counter to buy the discs that go in it....

BKenn01 07-23-09 02:59 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm so glad that my local WM stores haven't started doing this.

Give it time. Shoplifting is on the rise.

kyleblack 07-23-09 07:23 PM

Just started doing it here along with locking up DVD new releases in cabinets. My understanding the store reported theft in the millions last inventory.

DirkUSA 07-24-09 08:08 AM

My local BJ's has the newer Blu-ray releases in those plastic cases. I bought two the other day and both Slipcovers were fine after they removed the cases.

Dirk