DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Store Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum-7/)
-   -   Why would somone list a DVD on Amazon MarketPlace for $0.01? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/557544-why-would-somone-list-dvd-amazon-marketplace-%240-01-a.html)

Brent L 07-01-09 03:21 PM

Why would somone list a DVD on Amazon MarketPlace for $0.01?

I've always wondered about this. Why would someone list DVDs on Amazon for $0.01, or even up to a single $1? Aren't those people just about paying people to take them off their hands, when you take into account gas driving to the post office, not to mention the time needed to go through all the trouble to list, sell, and ship? Have any of you listed DVDs on there for that cheap?

Is it just for feedback? If so, is it really worth it?

JustinCleveland 07-01-09 05:03 PM

Re: Why would somone list a DVD on Amazon MarketPlace for $0.01?

Check what they are charging for shipping--therein lies the rub.

bunkaroo 07-01-09 05:40 PM

You can't overcharge shipping on Amazon. They credit you $2.98. Unless someone has a way of shipping for free and/or getting free shipping materials, there isn't much room for profit.

When I sell a single movie, postage is typically ~$2, padded envelope about .50 when bought in packs, factor in printing ink, postage account, etc, and it's pretty much all gone.

I don't list anything under $3, and even those are seldom worth the trouble.

JakeNeff 07-01-09 06:02 PM

Regarding the padded envelopes, you can get a pack of 25 at Sam's Club for about $5-7. Still doesn't make it worth selling for super cheap, though.

Al_Tahoe 07-01-09 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by bunkaroo (Post 9539429)
You can't overcharge shipping on Amazon. They credit you $2.98. Unless someone has a way of shipping for free and/or getting free shipping materials, there isn't much room for profit.

When I sell a single movie, postage is typically ~$2, padded envelope about .50 when bought in packs, factor in printing ink, postage account, etc, and it's pretty much all gone.

I don't list anything under $3, and even those are seldom worth the trouble.

In case you don't have a Sam's Club nearby, go here and cut your bubble mailer costs roughly in half...

http://www.lintonlabels.com/bubblema...lemailers.html

Trevor 07-02-09 06:13 AM

Could possibly be to boost their ratings, or boost their sales numbers to get into a better tier of Amazon sellers?

rexinnih 07-02-09 07:13 AM

Always wondered about that myself. I've sold a few things on marketplace and Amazon takes a pretty good chunk out of the price when you sell something for their commission.

jeffbase34 07-02-09 10:54 AM

People are just stupid. I used to sell a lot of Amazon, but idiot lowballers have ruined it. I think people are so addicting to selling that they will take a loss for the rush of receiving that "item sold" email. I don't think they really do the math either.

I have several dvds in my collection that are going for 0.01 on Amazon. Screw that. I can do much better at a garage sale.

Brent L 07-02-09 04:09 PM

So pretty much no one here really knows either, unless it's just for feedback? :lol:

I guess some people would do that, maybe a few every now and then, but I don't see it being as many people as there are that have DVDs that cheap.

I just did a test, and started to put someone on Amazon for $0.01 just to see what the numbers would be...

Your price: $0.01
Quantity: 1
Your shipping methods Standard Shipping
Amazon commission (if sold) $1.79 for Standard Shipping
Shipping credit (if sold): $2.98 for Standard Shipping
Total you will receive (if sold) $1.20 for Standard Shipping
:wtf:

Arthur Dent 07-02-09 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Brent L (Post 9541924)
So pretty much no one here really knows either, unless it's just for feedback? :lol:

I guess some people would do that, maybe a few every now and then, but I don't see it being as many people as there are that have DVDs that cheap.

I just did a test, and started to put someone on Amazon for $0.01 just to see what the numbers would be...

:lol: That's funny.

Amazon has two commission components: a flat-rate and a %age.

Rhylliam 07-08-09 11:17 AM

Some list items on ebay for nothing to guarantee a sale, & to secure feedback. So if its someone with little to no feedback, it could just be a matter of trying to build a reputation.

maxfisher 07-08-09 01:55 PM

I only really sell things in spurts. I'll pull 25 or 30 movies/games that I know I'm done with and list them all on half.com at once. Usually, there'll be at least one or two DVDs with multiple copies selling for around $1. In those instances, I still just list for the lowest or second lowest price. By the time I'm selling something on half, I know I'm done with it and I figure it's less wasteful to 'give' it away to someone that wants it as opposed to just tossing it in the trash.

jjcool 07-08-09 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by JustinCleveland (Post 9539366)
Check what they are charging for shipping--therein lies the rub.

Like someone mentioned, Amazon is strict what you can charge for shipping. 2.98 for standard and, i think 5.19 for expedited. I jsut listed a bunch of stuff on Amazon, and I looked into the cost for shipping UPS ground and USPS priority. Minimum I found for UPS was 6.85 and USPS was 4.85. And that doesnt include any deluivery confirmation for Priority mail. Not alot of wiggle room at all.

Trevor 07-08-09 03:48 PM

^ Yep, once you factor in bubble mailer cost and delivery confirmation, you pretty much break even on Amazon's shipping, or even lose a bit of money.

BuddhaWake 07-08-09 04:20 PM

sorry to be OT, but how come amazon doesn't combine or give a shipping discount if buying from the same seller ala half.com? they would get much more of my money if they did. even if it were a $1 discount on each next one.

Trevor 07-08-09 04:24 PM

^ But sellers are already losing money on the shipping charge possibly, so I doubt this would go over well.

BuddhaWake 07-08-09 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 9556059)
^ But sellers are already losing money on the shipping charge possibly, so I doubt this would go over well.

so why do people still list at half.com? as for the original topic I'm guessing that if people send media mail is no more that $2 and the padded envelopes could be had for cents so its still a small profit with the hopes of selling a lot of volume.

Perkinsun Dzees 07-08-09 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Brent L (Post 9541924)

Quote:
Your price: $0.01
Quantity: 1
Your shipping methods Standard Shipping
Amazon commission (if sold) $1.79 for Standard Shipping
Shipping credit (if sold): $2.98 for Standard Shipping
Total you will receive (if sold) $1.20 for Standard Shipping

Amazon charges a .99 cent listing fee as part of their commission IF your item sells. However, if you are a Pro Merchant seller, the .99 fee is waived, so the commission for a .01 listing would only be 80 cents. Thus the seller would get $2 for a 1 cent sale. Subtracting postal/packing costs, it would probably be about a 50 cent profit. Better than nothing.

It costs $39.99 monthly to become a Pro Merchant seller, so you have to sell at least 40 items a month in order to make it worthwhile.

RonG617 07-10-09 10:26 AM

I have sold about 200 items on Amazon and another 300 or so on Ebay. Sometimes if something isn't selling and you have listed it more than once you just want to clear the stock. You sell it for a loss and get the all important feedback. Most people if they see an item for sale for the same price between two merchants will pick the one with the most feedback because they feel more comfortable with that. So in the beginning you bite the bullet on a few items for that feedback.

Numanoid 07-10-09 02:16 PM

Volume!

Troy Stiffler 07-11-09 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by Numanoid (Post 9561484)
Volume!

My truck. Hollywood Video front window. Tonight.

I'll make hundreds!