DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Store Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum-7/)
-   -   Circuit City Still Alive? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/557531-circuit-city-still-alive.html)

jeffbase34 07-01-09 12:03 PM

Circuit City Still Alive?

I was surprised to find a CC advertisement email today. I figured it might be a spoof email, but I checked out www.circuitcity.com. The website is still running, and looks available to take online orders. They show recent blu-rays like Taken.

I still have a CC gift card so is the company still alive online?

Groucho 07-01-09 12:05 PM

Re: Circuit City Still Alive?

A completely different company bought the name and reopened it as a website-only operation.

jeffbase34 07-01-09 12:31 PM

ahhh just saw the other thread on this. what crappy prices.

jjcool 07-01-09 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by jeffbase34 (Post 9538693)
ahhh just saw the other thread on this. what crappy prices.

Yep. Most of their "deals" are quite shitty.

SethDLH 07-03-09 12:38 PM

you may as well try to use the gift card to get something out of it

Trevor 07-03-09 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by SethDLH (Post 9543133)

It won't work at the new CC. I got stuck with one or two after they closed.

Rhylliam 07-08-09 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 9543177)

Ouch..

Arthur Dent 07-08-09 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 9543177)

It seems like you have a shit-ton of gift cards, Trevor. :)

Trevor 07-08-09 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by awil1026 (Post 9554875)
It seems like you have a shit-ton of gift cards, Trevor. :)

I had a bad habit of holding onto assets as long as possible. At one point I had dozens of various gift cards or store credits totaling hundreds of dollars. I would go thru them periodically to try to find any that might "expire" or incur surcharges, and use those. But then I got burned (maybe) when Sam Goody went under, and now I pretty much use gift cards right away.

Originally Posted by Rhylliam (Post 9554870)
Ouch..

Only a few bucks total (unless I find another buried somewhere). I was in a store as they were literally closing for the last time. I bought a bunch of rap CDs to use most of my remaining credit, could have bought one more to finish it out, but decided against it for some reason.

ernestrp 07-08-09 05:27 PM

Its really TigerDirect or whatever company owns that. They also bought the Compusa website.

I bought a Notebook computer from Circuitcity.com back on the Memorial day weekend. It was to be delivered on 5/29 and then 6/1 by UPS but it never showed up. When I called UPS they said I should call Tigerdirect and have them trace it even though it was Circuitcity. They finally sent me another and I received it on 6/15. UPS did call me about 6/25 to ask if I ever received it. I was like why dont you check your tracking and that should answer your question.

Today in my paper said two UPS employees were arrested for selling stolen firearms at a UPS facility from thier cars in the UPS parking lot.......

writer106 07-08-09 06:16 PM

I was wondering about that too because I kept seeing CC ads online.

marty888 07-10-09 10:39 AM

There's a trend - buy up the name of a shuttered retail chain, and try to fake it for loyal customers on the internet (I guess there were some loyal customers for CC, tho you couldn't tell from this forum.)

I think there's also a CompUSA out there, and probably some of the clothing chains that folded have a ghostly presence on line.

wvtechs 07-11-09 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by SethDLH (Post 9543133)

I despise gift cards because they either get lost or forgotten about which basically means the store gets free money which is exactly why stores invented them in the first place.