Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

DVD Planet Trade-In questions

Old 05-28-09, 11:00 AM

DVD Planet Trade-In questions

When you trade in dvd's at dvdplanet, do you receive only store credit?

Also, for some reason I feel like I remember seeing a sale in which they give back more credit than usual, though I may be mistaken.

I also know that they have 20% off sales soon, does anyone know when that exact date may be? How long does it take for them to apply the store credit usually? I have a lot to unload and may need to do so in the next couple days.
Old 05-28-09, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: DVD Planet Trade-In questions

Yes, DVD Planet only gives store credit for trade-ins. I don't recall them ever having a promo for extra for trade-ins. Second Spin occasionally does an extra 20% for trade-ins, though.

I just sent a box of trade-ins to DVD Planet within the past month and I received the credit about a week after receipt.

If pattern holds, they usually have the sale sometime in June.
Old 05-28-09, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

OP, if you're wanting to trade in DVDs in order to use the credit right next month, I'd get them out right away. Also, while normally I'd recommend shipping DVDs to them using media mail since it's so cheap, you'll likely want to "upgrade" on that to have a chance at getting the credit on time. Even then, it's impossible to guarantee they'll be processed in time. In the past, I've been pleased with how quickly the credit goes through but it can be difficult to predict at times.
Old 05-28-09, 07:46 PM

Thanks guys,
Since I do have a big group of dvds going out, media mail still may make sense, and I'll just have to take my chances. I am going to get them out by Saturday and hope it gets there in time. Worst thing that can happen is I have the credit for the sale in November.
Old 06-01-09, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Trying to put together a trade order this morning, but DVDP's site is having trouble. Same problem at DD...I expect they use the same server.
Old 06-01-09, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have not been able to log into dvdplanet since Sunday...anyone else able to? DeepDiscount works fine.
Old 06-01-09, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by IamLegend View Post
I have not been able to log into dvdplanet since Sunday...anyone else able to?
I've been having the same problem. Their website seems to be on the fritz...
Old 06-01-09, 11:39 AM

Here are some are some guidelines based on my own experience and what I read on another thread.

1. DVD Planet now only gives store credit. (Years ago they did pay cash via Paypal)

2. They don't have the extra 20% special. (As someone mentioned, Second Spin every once in a while does that promo.)

3. Use tracking when you ship your dvds, so you know when they receive them. Once they are received by DVD Planet, it usually takes 3 to 7 business days to credit your account.

4. You can check your account at DVD Planet to see if the $$$ were posted to your accout. They usually send an email to you.

5. DVDs with defaced UPC codes can be rejected (slashes or holes punched through the bar code.) as well as scratches, scrapes, cracked cases, damaged artwork, etc...

6. DVDs can be rejected for any reason (or no reason at all). Basically, it just depends on who is actually checking in your shipment. Some folks have had dvds rejected and then they resubmit them again and they are accepted.

7. DVDs rejected will be returned to you. Sometimes they are returned quickly (1 to 2 weeks) other times it can take a month.

8. Only 1 title will be accepted per customer number. It appears that a cumulative trade-in file by customer is kept by UPC code. If you have traded in a particular title, all additional future trade-ins of that title will be rejected.

9. Store credit can be used on anything they sell. Some folks trade-in all year and then wait for a good sale to spend the credit.
Old 06-01-09, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

has anyone called dvdplanet to see what is up?
Old 06-03-09, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd be interested in trading credit for your dvds if anyone is interested..