Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Best Buy manager threatened to ask me to leave......

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.
View Poll Results: After reading the whole thread, your thoughts
douche move, should have said nothing
64.52%
nice move, made the right choice
35.48%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-16-09, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So today I was in best buy and this woman near me was buying a tv and the salesman got her 2 hdmi cables for 59 dollars each, and a wall mount for the tv for around 150...........this added up to 270 dollars, so I told her go to Mono-----.com and I am sure they can walk you through it over the phone on what you need and it will all cost under 75 dollars easy, we talked for a minute and seemed very grateful that I saved her 200 dollars or so............A few minutes later a manager approached me and said "A customer was complaining that you were harrassing them, trying to install the tv she is buying here "......I told him......."No, I dont want to install anything for her, nor did I say that, I was just trying to help her out and save her some money"....... He said "You cannot discourage a customer from buying something and if you do it again, I am going to have to ask you to leave" ............I assume the woman did not complain about me, she went back after we talked and I think she said that she did not want to buy the accessories anymore and the saleman probably asked why, and I am assuming she told him what I told her........At this point they probably told her that I did not know what I was talking about, or that I was trying to make money off her with my website or something...........either way the plasma tv that I went to buy at BB, I ended up picking it up at sears instead with a 110% price match.............I have spent thousands of dollars over the years at BB, and decided that I will no longer shop there.......not a big deal anyways, if they are willing to sell marked up items (1500 percent mark up) like hdmi's to unsuspecting customers, they are just as bad as theives or snake oil salesmen...............
Old 05-16-09, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Re: Best Buy manager threatened to ask me to leave......

Originally Posted by andy434343 View Post
So today I was in best buy and this woman near me was buying a tv and the salesman got her 2 hdmi cables for 59 dollars each, and a wall mount for the tv for around 150...........this added up to 270 dollars, so I told her go to Mono-----.com and I am sure they can walk you through it over the phone on what you need and it will all cost under 75 dollars easy, we talked for a minute and seemed very grateful that I saved her 200 dollars or so............A few minutes later a manager approached me and said "A customer was complaining that you were harrassing them, trying to install the tv she is buying here "......I told him......."No, I dont want to install anything for her, nor did I say that, I was just trying to help her out and save her some money"....... He said "You cannot discourage a customer from buying something and if you do it again, I am going to have to ask you to leave" ............I assume the woman did not complain about me, she went back after we talked and I think she said that she did not want to buy the accessories anymore and the saleman probably asked why, and I am assuming she told him what I told her........At this point they probably told her that I did not know what I was talking about, or that I was trying to make money off her with my website or something...........either way the plasma tv that I went to buy at BB, I ended up picking it up at sears instead with a 110% price match.............I have spent thousands of dollars over the years at BB, and decided that I will no longer shop there.......not a big deal anyways, if they are willing to sell marked up items (1500 percent mark up) like hdmi's to unsuspecting customers, they are just as bad as theives or snake oil salesmen...............
If people are dumb enough to pay the prices then so be it. I understand you trying to help and it is a shame that they threatened to boot you out, but the lady (and any consumer) would be smart to do a little research on prices and products before making a big purchase.
Old 05-16-09, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sadly, the mantra of "mind your own business" really needs to apply when your in someone elses "business". I fully get why you did what you did (and not saying you are wrong at all), but you could have lost them a potential $250 in sales. I'm sure if you ran a business and someone came in and said "Hey, don't buy x for $25 here, Wal-mart has it for $15" you would probably be a bit irked.
Old 05-16-09, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't blame them.
Old 05-16-09, 09:09 PM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
Sadly, the mantra of "mind your own business" really needs to apply when your in someone elses "business".
Stay out of it, Nick Lachey.
Old 05-16-09, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
Sadly, the mantra of "mind your own business" really needs to apply when your in someone elses "business". I fully get why you did what you did (and not saying you are wrong at all), but you could have lost them a potential $250 in sales. I'm sure if you ran a business and someone came in and said "Hey, don't buy x for $25 here, Wal-mart has it for $15" you would probably be a bit irked.
Yeah, I agree. I don't really blame Best Buy for what they did, nor do I blame you either. If I was the store manager, I wouldn't want people doing that either, even knowing my store is more expensive. That and she may actually have complained; some people actually might not like a stranger saying things like that.
Old 05-16-09, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Stay out of it, Nick Lachey.

Thank you. It's my favorite line on a TV Show yet and The Soup had me on the fall last night.
Old 05-16-09, 09:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That Nick Lachey bit on The Soup had me cracking up too.

Joel McHale is the MAN.
Old 05-16-09, 09:30 PM
Banned

Yeah. Best Buy did no wrong here. Using their stores to advertise for other businesses isnt cool even if you were trying to be helpful. Its like the Chewlies gum representative in CLerks.
Old 05-17-09, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I can't say I understand why you cared about this whole deal. Unless she was hot and you wanted to pee in her butt and you thought this would give you an in with her.
Old 05-17-09, 04:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the only fault of the manager is that he didn't tell you to leave.

I understand you wanted to help her out,...but telling her that stuff *INSIDE THE STORE* is bad form.
Old 05-17-09, 05:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd be more likely to do this for only a family member if I'd been invited to help them choose a TV at Best Buy.

Last edited by Xbox69; 05-17-09 at 05:22 AM.
Old 05-17-09, 07:02 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 132 Likes on 98 Posts

Yeah, I'd tell a friend or someone I was shopping with, or a stranger if for some reason they asked me; but to offer it unsolicited? Bad Andy, no biscuit!
Old 05-17-09, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah total douche move. If its not family or friends mind your own business. The woman was fine paying for what she needed. Leave it at that.
Old 05-17-09, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I really don't see anything wrong in what you did. All you did was tell the customer she had another option. Afterall, she did go in thinking she was going to get the "best buy" and I'm assuming you don't work for the competition. Even there, the customer had choices: she could pay more for the cables and have them there and then, or order them online, wait for them to arrive and then call Mon--- to have them guide her through the setup. If it was me, I might have just said the hell with it and bought the cables.

As for the manager, he was in the wrong for assuming that you were "harrassing" and trying to steal a customer (although he may have been told this by the sales associate) and IMHO over-reacted. He could have asked for your side of the story and asked you in a friendly way not to do that again. If you were a "serial offender", that would be different, but he could have just let the matter slide.

BTW, if someone wants to harrass me by telling me where I might be able to get things cheaper, then harrass away...
Old 05-17-09, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ok to answer a few other questions or concerns........ she was not butt peeing worthy..... besides my girlfriend would not be too pleased with me if she ever found out about my infidelity with another womans anus...........but anyways I dont think she felt harrassed, I was wearing studio recording headphones, singing a song, all while smiling and pointing at her when I told her all of the money she could save......she smiled back..........
Old 05-17-09, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

ok to answer a few other questions or concerns........ she was not butt peeing worthy..... besides my girlfriend would not be too pleased with me if she ever found out about my infidelity with another womans anus...........but anyways I dont think she felt harrassed, I was wearing studio recording headphones, singing a song, all while smiling and pointing at her when I told her all of the money she could save......she smiled back..........
Yeah, as a customer I would report you as well. Singing in public - in a store - would make me think you were crazy and wanted to hitch a ride back home with me where my friends would find my dead body a few days later.
Old 05-17-09, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Doc Moonlight View Post
I really don't see anything wrong in what you did. All you did was tell the customer she had another option. Afterall, she did go in thinking she was going to get the "best buy" and I'm assuming you don't work for the competition. Even there, the customer had choices: she could pay more for the cables and have them there and then, or order them online, wait for them to arrive and then call Mon--- to have them guide her through the setup. If it was me, I might have just said the hell with it and bought the cables.

As for the manager, he was in the wrong for assuming that you were "harrassing" and trying to steal a customer (although he may have been told this by the sales associate) and IMHO over-reacted. He could have asked for your side of the story and asked you in a friendly way not to do that again. If you were a "serial offender", that would be different, but he could have just let the matter slide.

BTW, if someone wants to harrass me by telling me where I might be able to get things cheaper, then harrass away...
Perhaps the manager's fault was saying he was harassing the customer. That was obviously not the case. I highly doubt the customer lodged a complaint towards the OP to the manager. The manager was within his right to approach the OP and to ask him to NOT do that in his store, but could have chosen a better way to approach it.

But that doesn't make the manager in the wrong here.
Old 05-17-09, 11:38 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 132 Likes on 98 Posts

Nice avatar Gizmo. Yeah, singing in the store might have been the real reason. Were you on key?
Old 05-17-09, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The image this puts in my head is full of so much win! Haha!
Old 05-17-09, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

In these economic times, I'm not surprised that the manager was a bit upset with you over this. Cables and mounts, and accessories are a huge profit center for stores like these. If the woman passed on teh cables, you may have cost him a nice chunk of profit for his store. He would have been well within his rights to have you removed from the store, as it is private property. With that being said, have I done exactly what you did? Many times. Just not necessarily for a perfect stranger. I have even done what you did when I was in the manager's shoes. I tried to look out for some of our more frequent shopper. In the long run, they made us a hell of a lot more money than we would have made selling them a couple overpriced cables. It breeds customer loyalty if the customer thinks you are looking out for them, and in these economic times that is a big plus.
Old 05-17-09, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Did you try and sell her some Chewlie's Gum, too?
Old 05-17-09, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I remember working in a restaurant in high school. This guy went next door to Taco Bell for his lunch break, got it to go and brought it back. Our boss took it away from him and threw it in the trash then chewed him out.
Old 05-17-09, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think this is one of those threads where the OP was thinking that everyone was going to back their story.
Old 05-17-09, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wonder how many people find out about the mark up after the fact and return the cables... I know of many instances where that has happened... I think it was cool he informed her. I think the best buy cable markup is reprehensible....

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.