DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Store Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum-7/)
-   -   Target Experimenting with Price-Matching (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/554848-target-experimenting-price-matching.html)

Doc Moonlight 05-11-09 09:49 AM

Target Experimenting with Price-Matching

Looks like Target is considering going back to price-matching.

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincitie...l?surround=lfn

"Target tests price-matching programMinneapolis / St. Paul Business Journal - by John Vomhof Jr. Staff Writer

CommentsTarget Corp. is testing a price-matching program at its downtown Minneapolis and Medina stores.

During the test, Target will match the prices in a competitor’s ad on identical items during the dates that the ad is in effect. Shoppers must bring the competitor’s entire print ad with them to the customer-service desk to request a price match.

Minneapolis-based Target (NYSE: TGT) began testing the program — called “Unbeatable Prices. Guaranteed.” — in the Denver and Orlando, Fla., markets March 15, and expanded the program to the downtown Minneapolis and Medina stores May 1.

“Based on the test, we’ll analyze the results and possibly roll out this price-match program nationwide,” spokeswoman Delia McLinden said.

Target has been ratcheting up its emphasis on prices for the past year, as consumers cut back on discretionary purchases during the recession. Its chief rival, Bentonville, Ark.-based Wal-Mart Stores Inc., has long been aggressive on prices, and has weathered the downturn better than Target with a greater reliance on staple products and a perception by customers that its prices are the lowest. It's also boosted its own advertising, spending more on both TV ads and newspaper circulars. Target's price-matching program would seem to be aimed as a counterpunch to that tactic."

Moopher 05-11-09 10:35 AM

Re: Target Experimenting with Price-Matching

Haha I stop by that Target in Medina all of the time. There is never anyone there, and because of that, a lot of there stuff goes on clearance.

ATX 05-11-09 11:02 AM

How the hell can Target pricematch anything when i can go into one and buy something then find it priced differently at another Target 1 mile down the same street?

pinata242 05-11-09 11:05 AM

I saw a thread a few weeks ago on SD claiming they were PMing again. I went to the local one Thursday evening and asked flat-out and was told they don't.

Hopefully it does become widespread again. It's ridiculous they don't.

reverie 05-11-09 11:45 AM

I tried once awhile ago and found out they didn't. They've since lost a lot of sales because of that (which I'm sure they're fine with anyway).

fumanstan 05-11-09 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by ATX (Post 9437053)
How the hell can Target pricematch anything when i can go into one and buy something then find it priced differently at another Target 1 mile down the same street?

The only case i've seen that is with clearance items. Other then that, the pricing system should be identical.

ATX 05-11-09 12:21 PM

^ not in Houston

pricing depends on the neighboorhood

cdollaz 05-11-09 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by ATX (Post 9437053)

They price-match competitors, so differences between pricing in their own stores is irrelevant.

fujishig 05-11-09 04:14 PM

This seems odd given that they used to pricematch and then did away with it. The article indicates that they want to be challenge Walmart as having the lowest prices, but really how effective is this? As we've seen on this forum, pricematching can be a very dicey proposition.

We don't even get a Walmart circular in my area... we basically only have department stores, home improvement stores, Best Buy, Target, and Fry's. Seems like most of the pricematching would be done on media... most of the clothes are at least semi-exclusive. Unless they're going to pricematch groceries too.

TheKing 05-13-09 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 9437808)
This seems odd given that they used to pricematch and then did away with it. The article indicates that they want to be challenge Walmart as having the lowest prices, but really how effective is this? As we've seen on this forum, pricematching can be a very dicey proposition.

We don't even get a Walmart circular in my area... we basically only have department stores, home improvement stores, Best Buy, Target, and Fry's. Seems like most of the pricematching would be done on media... most of the clothes are at least semi-exclusive. Unless they're going to pricematch groceries too.

It's not about actually having the best price, it's about being able to claim you have the best price. With price matching, Target can do that.

Looks like Target's recent advertising trying to show them as being hip and trendy has kind of backfired. People want cheap right now.

Spicollidriver1 05-13-09 06:04 PM

There are different prices at different stores because of competition in there particular area Walmart does the same thing around here there prices are usually based on what Target has across the street.

Living Dead 05-21-09 03:37 AM

If they start price-matching again I'd start shopping there again.

Abob Teff 05-23-09 11:27 PM

Yes, but will they match Walmart's "Free Icee Refills" policy?