Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Amazon not following their own rules

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-10, 12:35 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Sigh. Maybe it's time to just stop buying from them.

Per their policy:
If your order enters the shipping process before the release date and the price is lowered on the release date, we will automatically refund your credit card for the difference between the price you were charged and the release-date price.
Ordered a DVD and it shipped yesterday (Monday). At the time, it was $23.99. Today it dropped to $17.99. So I dropped them an e-mail explaining to them their policy and got this in response:

Hello,

I'm sure it's disappointing to see the lower price on the "Sarah Silverman Program: Season Two, Vol. 2" you recently purchased. Our prices regularly change, and the price you paid when your order shipped on February 8 was the lowest price we were able to offer at the time.

We consistently offer competitive prices on everything we carry because we know low prices are very important to our customers. You can visit our pricing policies in our Help pages to read more:
Old 02-09-10, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 741 Likes on 366 Posts
Re: Amazon not following their own rules

You usually get goofy responses from customer service if you email them right away regarding release day price changes. They're apparantly not very well educated on it. You should get an email confirming your refund in the next couple of days however. Sometimes the uneducated customer service will even refund the difference (stating that it is not their policy and they are making a one time exception), and then you will get the automatic refund on top of that (so you get 2 refunds).
Old 02-09-10, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
You should get an email confirming your refund in the next couple of days however. Sometimes the uneducated customer service will even refund the difference (stating that it is not their policy and they are making a one time exception), and then you will get the automatic refund on top of that (so you get 2 refunds).
This has been my experience in the past as well.
Old 02-09-10, 12:57 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Wait it out for a day or two, it should come automatically.
Old 02-09-10, 01:02 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

I have before, and it never arrived (automatic). I always have to send them e-mails, and I can't really prove anything if they dropped the price to $17.99 on Tues but raise it back to $23.99 the next day (Wed) and its now Fri with no refund.
Old 02-09-10, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've found that explaining the situation over the phone works much better than correspondence over e-mail. Give their automatic CS call feature a try.
Old 02-09-10, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

As one of the above posters said, give it a few days - you usually hear one to three days after release date about a refund to your CC.
Old 02-09-10, 10:40 PM

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,131 Posts

I agree with everyone here.

I also think ending relations with a usually reputable and quality company over a matter of six dollars is jumping the gun.
Old 02-10-10, 04:29 AM

I would just stop pre-ordering from Amazon.com.
Old 02-10-10, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sandman007
I agree, Unless it might be something that is super exclusive/LTD edition
Old 02-10-10, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by adrenaline78
I agree, Unless it might be something that is super exclusive/LTD edition
???????????????? Why???????? if you pre-order it you get it on release day or I usually get it the day before. That's the good thing about it.
Old 02-10-10, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by sandman007
Really? I pre-ordered Ed Wood and received it months ahead of when it finally got released, because of some legal issue or something that wasn't ironed out but didn't keep it from being pressed, packaged, and shipped to Amazon and other online retailers.

And of all the online retailers I've dealt with, Amazon has been the most consistently fast shipper and the best at refunding when an issue arises. Give it a few days and you should see the price difference refunded to your card.
Old 02-10-10, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Amazon is the slowest shipper on God's Green Earth. Why or why is there logic on holding orders for a week for their free shipping? They don't get paid since they don't charge the CC till its shipped and then you have a very unhappy customer waiting for their dvds/blu-rays. As far as I know,no other company that I have ordered with free shipping has this policy. Plus Star Trek TOS s1,s2 & s3 Blu-rays showed up today with loose discs. They might have good customer service but besides that-I'm not impressed.
Old 02-10-10, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
Amazon is the slowest shipper on God's Green Earth. Why or why is there logic on holding orders for a week for their free shipping? They don't get paid since they don't charge the CC till its shipped and then you have a very unhappy customer waiting for their dvds/blu-rays. As far as I know,no other company that I have ordered with free shipping has this policy. Plus Star Trek TOS s1,s2 & s3 Blu-rays showed up today with loose discs. They might have good customer service but besides that-I'm not impressed.

It's "free" shipping. Don't like the wait? Then you should pay for shipping. It doesn't say "free two-day shipping".

Or pony up and just get Prime. I've been getting shipments delivered from Amazon in one day, and it is quite nice.

And blaming Amazon exclusively for you receiving loose discs is ridiculous. I have found Amazon to have an exceptionally tolerant return policy and excellent customer service.

If you find a cheaper and more reliable provider of DVD/BD titles - with FREE shipping - please post it for the rest of us.

Last edited by Pointyskull; 02-10-10 at 03:18 PM.
Old 02-10-10, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by 12thmonkey

It's "free" shipping. Don't like the wait? Then you should pay for shipping. It doesn't say "free two-day shipping".

Or pony up and just get Prime. I've been getting shipments delivered from Amazon in one day, and it is quite nice.

And blaming Amazon exclusively for you receiving loose discs is ridiculous. I have found Amazon to have an exceptionally tolerant return policy and excellent customer service.

If you find a cheaper and more reliable provider of DVD/BD titles - with FREE shipping - please post it for the rest of us.
They want you too be pissed on the slow shipping so that way you pay more for shipping. DVD Empire. DVD Planet and Deep Discount don't hold orders for a frickin week with their free shipping. As far as prices-I had a wishlist at Amazon and DVD Planet was cheaper overall. Sometimes Amazon charges near retail for certain dvds(Ice Road Truckers season 3-unless they dropped the price recently).
Old 02-10-10, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by DirkUSA
???????????????? Why???????? if you pre-order it you get it on release day or I usually get it the day before. That's the good thing about it.
There's been too many cases of price drops after release date because of pricematching that makes pre-ordering unnecessary. I have not experienced it personally because I only pre-order exclusives or limited items, so I cannot attest to how these cases were resolved.

I'm not real concerned about when I get my stuff as long as I get. My backlog is big enough that I will probably never run out of new DVDs to watch.

Originally Posted by Dr. Calamari
Really? I pre-ordered Ed Wood and received it months ahead of when it finally got released, because of some legal issue or something that wasn't ironed out but didn't keep it from being pressed, packaged, and shipped to Amazon and other online retailers.

And of all the online retailers I've dealt with, Amazon has been the most consistently fast shipper and the best at refunding when an issue arises. Give it a few days and you should see the price difference refunded to your card.
That's just a very unique situation and can't really be used to argue in favor of pre-ordering. I have no problems with people pre-ordering or Amazon.com's pre-ordering policy since I don't use it. I was just suggesting that if a person pre-orders on a regular basis and have to continually get price adjustments through customer service, maybe it would be better not to pre-order anymore and just wait to see if it will be lower on release date.
Old 02-11-10, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

All my orders get to me from Amazon in two days or less. Maybe they just dont like you?
Old 02-11-10, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't believe any claims from someone called "dvd-4-life" who is ordering Blu-rays.

BTW, Blu-rays have anti-scratch coating on them. Even though you have floaters, I'm willing to bet that they're just fine.
Old 02-11-10, 02:18 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

They want you too be pissed on the slow shipping so that way you pay more for shipping. DVD Empire. DVD Planet and Deep Discount don't hold orders for a frickin week with their free shipping. As far as prices-I had a wishlist at Amazon and DVD Planet was cheaper overall. Sometimes Amazon charges near retail for certain dvds(Ice Road Truckers season 3-unless they dropped the price recently).
I've ordered hundreds of items over the years and they always arrive quickly.

As for prices, no single place is going to have the cheapest price on everything. But Amazon compares very favorably overall in comparison to any retailer.
Old 02-11-10, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DirkUSA
Not always. I've never had that happen but it would be nice if it did for me just once and I also have Prime. Last order I did was for Planet Hulk and it didn't arrive until Friday.

Before that was Up and Monsters, Inc. That time they didn't show up until Saturday.
Old 02-11-10, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
As for prices, no single place is going to have the cheapest price on everything. But Amazon compares very favorably overall in comparison to any retailer.
Agreed. probably about 70% of the time when I check prices, Amazon has the lowest price.