Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Gottschalks is going out of business

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-09, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

I don't think they carry any DVD's though..

Also there is A Gottschalks in Albany,Or..where I live for now.

Economy wise.There has been more stores opening then closing SO far where I live in the pass year.But the housing market is DEAD here.

New Real Estate has almost completely stop.Everything in except for the houses(have new streets...etc)

And its not because of the rain.. :-)

The 105-year-old regional department store chain plans to liquidate after failing to successfully reorganize its operations under Chapter 11 bankruptcy.
By Andrea Chang
April 1, 2009
Regional department store chain Gottschalks Inc. is going out of business after failing to successfully reorganize its operations under Chapter 11, the Fresno company said Tuesday.

The 105-year-old chain, which filed for bankruptcy protection in January, sells fashion apparel, cosmetics, shoes, accessories and home merchandise. Most of its locations -- 55 department stores and three specialty apparel stores -- are in California. Its Southern California locations include stores in Palmdale, San Bernardino and Riverside.

The liquidation still needs to be approved by a Delaware Bankruptcy Court, which is scheduled to consider the proposal today. If approved, the liquidation sale could begin as early as Thursday. It is expected to be completed by July 15.

"Despite all our efforts at earnest negotiations, we were unable to reach an agreement with our creditors, lenders and bidders," Chief Executive Jim Famalette said. "Regrettably, liquidation is now the only path for our company. We are deeply disappointed with this outcome."

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...,3048086.story
Old 04-11-09, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 353 Likes on 229 Posts
Re: Gottschalks is going out of business

I'm not surprised. I had a friend who tried to return something with the receipt at the Eugene Gottschalks, and she was only given store credit. I can't believe that's their policy--perhaps she just had an idiot cashier. I have refused to shop there ever since though, because a big chain ought to be able to give cash refunds.
Old 04-11-09, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Hmm never heard of it
Old 04-11-09, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Hi tasha99

I only bought one or two things at Gottschalks in the last 5 years.
Just a couple of cheap items(fake fish tank and something else).

Not really my type of store.I like Costco and all the used item shops mostly.

Anyways another one bits the dust.This one really surpised me.

Joe's Sports & Outdoors Closing All Stores --Storewide Going-Out-of-Business Sale Starts Friday, April 10th

10% to 30% off sale right now at Joes...

Also heres a little more Gottschalks

Gottschalks (Pink Sheets: GOTTQ) is a middle-tier American department store chain which is currently liquidating. During its shutdown, it is continuing to operate 58 department stores and three specialty apparel stores in six western states (California (38), Washington (7), Alaska (5), Idaho (2), Oregon (4), and Nevada (2), most run as Harris-Gottschalks stores.) Prior to liquidation, it was the largest independently-owned, publicly-traded department store chain in the United States. On January 14, 2009, Gottschalks filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy.[1] This bankruptcy became a liquidation on March 31, 2009.[2]

More here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gottschalks

Last edited by JoeySeven; 04-11-09 at 04:10 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-17-09, 11:01 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sadly a sign of the times. Happening all over