Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Netflix website sucks, I'm sure you guys can answer my question

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 03-10-09, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

What are all the rental plans available and how much does each cost?

Their website only lists 3 DVD's at one time for $16.99/month. There must be other plans for more DVD's.
Old 03-10-09, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Netflix website sucks, I'm sure you guys can answer my question

Here are the ones I see. I'm surprised they don't list choices on the main page. I guess you have to start the sign up process in order to see them:

8 at a time $47.99
7 at a time $41.99
6 for $35.99
5 for $29.99
4 for $23.99
3 for $16.99
2 for $13.99
1 for $8.99

They all include unlimited Instant Viewing.
Old 03-10-09, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

And Blu-ray rental is an extra $1 a month.
Old 03-10-09, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Streaming only plan coming soon too I think. $7.99 per month?
Old 03-10-09, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by chuckd21 View Post
Streaming only plan coming soon too I think. $7.99 per month?
with the lack of choices available for streaming, i would never do this. i have 185 movies in my queue and 30 are available for instant viewing.
Old 03-10-09, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've got the 5 at a time plan but ever since they started the policy of listing titles not from your local distribution center as short/long wait and skipping over them I get six at a time. The first 15-20 titles in my queue are all short wait. They skip over them to send me the first five that are available and the top short wait one as a bonus sixth.
Old 03-10-09, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by SoSpacey View Post
with the lack of choices available for streaming, i would never do this. i have 185 movies in my queue and 30 are available for instant viewing.
That and the lack of Blu-Ray quality video, audio and special features.
Old 03-11-09, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by rw2516 View Post
I've got the 5 at a time plan but ever since they started the policy of listing titles not from your local distribution center as short/long wait and skipping over them I get six at a time. The first 15-20 titles in my queue are all short wait. They skip over them to send me the first five that are available and the top short wait one as a bonus sixth.
I've had stuff like that happening recently too. Today though they sent me things that were a ways down in my queue, so I thought wtf, and I looked and my top 4 had mysteriously been moved down about half-way into my queue...and I had just moved them up to the top yesterday. That's some bullshit right there.
Old 03-12-09, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For those who have had the service for awhile, how quickly do the out of stock items come back in stock?

I'm about ready to cancel Blockbuster. I've had the service since August, and there are over 30 DVDs that I've had on my queue since then and they are still listed as Long or Very Long Wait. My queue is almost up and no sense paying for movies I can't watch.
Old 03-12-09, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas View Post
For those who have had the service for awhile, how quickly do the out of stock items come back in stock?

I'm about ready to cancel Blockbuster. I've had the service since August, and there are over 30 DVDs that I've had on my queue since then and they are still listed as Long or Very Long Wait. My queue is almost up and no sense paying for movies I can't watch.
I've found that older releases tend to come off of wait status faster than new releases. Typically, the older stuff doesn't take that long. New releases can take a while.

That's the main reason I canceled my Blockbuster account. It seemed like anything that they'd have wait listed would just never come back in stock.
Old 03-12-09, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas View Post

I think it is totally dependent on your distribution center as well. I live in northern NJ and have a distribution center in New Brunswick that gets me pretty much all of the movies I want. I have 180 titles in my queue and 1 movie is listed as a Very Long Wait...Kingdom of Heaven Blu-ray. All of the new releases (Rachel, Role Models, MILK) are all available now and were only listed as "short wait" on Monday and Tuesday of this week.
Old 03-12-09, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Usually I find if you keep on top of it you can bump your que around to get what you want when you send in some discs. I rarely find that I "set it and forget it".
Old 03-16-09, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JakeNeff View Post
That and the lack of Blu-Ray quality video, audio and special features.
Many times this doesn't matter. If the selection was better, it would be close to perfect.
Old 04-19-09, 07:55 PM

I am considering getting an online rental service and I had a question about the new releases. Say I wanted a movie like The Wrestler that comes out this week and want it on DVD (not blu ray). How long of a wait is there in general to get a new release DVD? Do you add them to your list and whoever adds them the earliest gets first dibs or what?
Old 04-19-09, 10:18 PM
Cool New Member

" I am considering getting an online rental service and I had a question about the new releases. Say I wanted a movie like The Wrestler that comes out this week and want it on DVD (not blu ray). How long of a wait is there in general to get a new release DVD? Do you add them to your list and whoever adds them the earliest gets first dibs or what? "

Pretty much, yep. In fact, there's a note to that effect somewhere on their site. If it's a hot title, they recommend putting it at the top and leaving it there. I guess a lot of people see "Short/Long Wait" and either delete the title, or move it to the bottom of the queue.

I also found out - too late to take full advantage - that I could've gotten a much better trial period offer from them. Ah, well.
Old 04-20-09, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Supposedly, people who rent less, and have a lower turnover rate, have a higher priority when getting new releases.
Old 04-21-09, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by EarlB View Post

Pretty much, yep. In fact, there's a note to that effect somewhere on their site. If it's a hot title, they recommend putting it at the top and leaving it there. I guess a lot of people see "Short/Long Wait" and either delete the title, or move it to the bottom of the queue.
Yep. The first 20 or so titles in my queue are all Long Wait and about once a week a title listed as long wait will ship anyway with an email saying it will take 5-6days to arrive and that an extra free available title will ship while I wait. Had a long wait ship today(monday), should arrive by saturday.
I now interpet available-ships local, short wait-ships from within 500 miles, long wait-over 500 miles. I go under the assumption that all titles are available(not checked out) and wait times refer to shipping and transit times.
Old 04-21-09, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by mndtrp View Post
Supposedly, people who rent less, and have a lower turnover rate, have a higher priority when getting new releases.
That makes no sense. It would cost the company more to lose a regular buyer versus a customer who buys every now and then.
Old 04-21-09, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Adboy151 View Post
And Blu-ray rental is an extra $1 a month.
Blu Ray rental now is an extra dollar per month, plus and extra dollar per disc in your plan. So if you have three at a time you will add $4, if you have one you will add $2, etc.
Old 04-23-09, 04:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mndtrp View Post
There's been a long controversy with throttling. Didn't Netflix go as far as flatly denying it?
Old 04-26-09, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by big whoppa View Post
There's been a long controversy with throttling. Didn't Netflix go as far as flatly denying it?
From their website:

Q:
What is “throttling” and does Netflix “throttle” its members?
A:
Throttling” is not a term we use at Netflix, but is used by people who incorrectly believe Netflix intentionally tries to reduce the number of DVDs a Netflix member who is a frequent renter receives, by delaying his or her DVD shipments or returns.

Netflix does not do this.

This confusion may have arisen from two scenarios in which infrequent renters may get preference over frequent renters.

The first scenario is if a customer requests a DVD, and their local distribution center does not have enough copies to satisfy demand, but there are other copies of the title available to the customer from another distribution center. In this scenario, the DVD is generally shipped to the customer from the other distribution center the following day. We do this in an effort to deliver the DVDs listed highest in the customer’s Queue. Other factors being equal, these “cross shipments” happen more often to frequent Netflix renters. Cross shipments only happen if the local distribution center is short of the desired title; cross shipments are never artificially generated to slow a frequent renter.

The second scenario is when there is more demand for a title than we have copies of that title. On those occasions, we ship the available copies to the subscribers who, other factors being equal, have been renting less frequently. The subscribers who do not get their first choice will generally get their next available choice sent that same day from their local distribution center, and there is no delay incurred.

Returns are promptly processed as they are received, and there are no preferences in how they are processed.

For more information about shipping and receiving DVDs, please see our FAQ on “How does Netflix process and ship DVDs” and our Terms of Use.