Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Blockbusters Stock Nosedives - Bankruptcy Possible

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Blockbusters Stock Nosedives - Bankruptcy Possible

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-09, 08:38 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Re: Blockbusters Stock Nosedives - Bankruptcy Possible

I don't understand how the brick and mortar stores can possibly survive.

Between Redbox and Netflix, the rental price for a savvy consumer is $1 or less. Blockbuster charges $4+ and expects to compete?
Old 03-05-09, 09:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think all the non new release are $1.99 now.

But I hope Blockbuster stays around because competition is always good. Otherwise Netflix can raise their prices.
Old 03-05-09, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was the manager at a mom&pop video store in the 90s before Blockbuster came to town and put us out of business. I hated them for a while.

Things change though, and when I moved recently and had three stores within 5 minutes of my house, I went back. (That's another problem altogether... there seem to be clumps of stores all near each other and then you can drive for 30 minutes and not find one anywhere.)

Anyway, I signed up for their monthly pass thing (2 movies out at a time, unlimited exchanges) as well as their online service with unlimited exchanges. And as a family of four with two impulsive teenagers, we use the hell out of it. So while we also have Netflix, Redbox, DirecTV and online available to us, I would be sad to see Blockbuster go.

And about their recent hour changes. Our local stores all went to this idiotic Noon-9pm schedule that lasted for about a month before they expanded their hours back out again.
Old 03-05-09, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

They need to drop their prices for rentals drastically, and advertise their new price drops. My girlfriend and I used to stop by there, but it was such a turnoff with their prices that eventually we just stopped going on. There is no reason they charge so much with the price of new DVDs. Yes, I understand running a B&M costs money, but drop the prices and shorten the rental window to 3 days for new releases, maximum so you can increase turnover.
Old 03-05-09, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
They need to drop their prices for rentals drastically, and advertise their new price drops.
Wouldn't make up that much of a difference because movies are cheaper elsewhere and that's where people are now and why they aren't doing so hot.
Old 03-05-09, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
Wouldn't make up that much of a difference because movies are cheaper elsewhere and that's where people are now and why they aren't doing so hot.
Yes but Blockbuster caters to the impulse renter or non-frequent renter. If they dropped prices they would see an increase in business but they should also advertise rental plans for the frequent renters. They used to have these but it seems it got replaced by Blockbuster Online. They need to offer a pay per month plan similar to Netflix but offer it in-store only.
Old 03-05-09, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 601 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by Goat3001
Yes but Blockbuster caters to the impulse renter or non-frequent renter. If they dropped prices they would see an increase in business but they should also advertise rental plans for the frequent renters. They used to have these but it seems it got replaced by Blockbuster Online. They need to offer a pay per month plan similar to Netflix but offer it in-store only.
either you're being sarcastic or you're not aware they have had this
in store plan for years now.
Old 03-05-09, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
either you're being sarcastic or you're not aware they have had this
in store plan for years now.
I know they USED to have them. I thought they started BB Online where you'd get movies in the mail and could exchange them in store. I thought they got rid of the in store only monthly plans a long time ago. I know for a fact the one around me doesn't offer it anymore.
Old 03-05-09, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

might be a franchise.

corp stores have plans.
a 2 out
a 3 out
and combos so either trade it for a movie or game.
Old 03-05-09, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
I look forward to dancing on their grave after what they put me through.
Originally Posted by Al_Tahoe
Amen, brother. Just tell me where the grave is, and I'll be happy to come by and spit and piss on it.
i might be the biggest hater of them all...(See Sig) I will be laughing my ass off...
Old 03-05-09, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As for why would anyone care about a company going out of business? Companies that can not get their act straight in the world of customer service DESERVE to go out of business. You know how many shitty emails I've gotten over the years from IDIOTS that work there, claiming how WRONG I was, that I'm a liar, etc...

FUCK THEM, Sucks for the decent folks that work there, but it's just like CC. (I worked there, and they sucked too)
Old 03-05-09, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

sounds like a trend.
were else have you worked so we can keep a tab.
Old 03-05-09, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I know people love new releases and that's the 1st thing they look for walking into a store. However, that being the case, why doesn't Blockbuster charge a discounted rate for older titles? Say $1.99 for 5 days??? There are 2 Blockbusters near where I live and one charges $4.99 for all titles and another charges $4.69.

Wouldn't charging a much cheaper rate for older titles encourage more people to rent more older movies?
I think this is the best counter-argument to Keyes. I get that Joe Sixpack has already seen older titles and prefers new releases, and in that, Keyes is spot on. However, I think DJariya has nailed it.

And, for the record, Redbox just made a big stink about adding popular catalog titles to their machines. You can actually rent Lawrence of Arabia and Glory (among other titles). Someone obviously has confidence in renters's interest in these titles. The fault lies not in the renters, dear Keyes, but in your prices for older releases.
Old 03-05-09, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

sounds like a trend.
We'll find out it's:
Sharper Image
Linens n Things
Tweeter
Mervyn's
The Good Guys
CompUSA

and back in the day
Pioneer Chicken
Old 03-05-09, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UAIOE
I'm rather surprised BB didn't come up with the "Redbox" method of movie rentals when they started losing out to Netflix.

You had a name synonymous with movie rentals, and you could place machines in numerous places with new(ish) releases and make money.
I could swear they did this in the mid-90s with VHS machines at least as a test in the DFW area. Seems like I saw one at a Shell station. Or am I going crazy?
Old 03-05-09, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Trevor
...the rental price for a savvy consumer is $1 or less. Blockbuster charges $4+ and expects to compete?
They don't... when there is real competition. I live in a town of 115,000 and the last Blockbuster closed up probably seven or eight years ago - they can't compete against Family Video. What Blockbuster needs to do is to charge a reasonable price... and $5 for a movie is not a reasonable price.

If I must have a new release, I pay $3 at Family Video. When I want an old release, I have literally thousands to choose from for either $1 for five nights, or 2 for $1 for five nights. Or there's always Redbox, though other than new releases, their selection is pretty slim (40 or 50 choices).

There are a couple of Hollywood videos though they are hurting bad, their selection and prices are horrible.
Old 03-05-09, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

If they dropped their prices to $3 for New Releases or even $1 for older films, they would have so much more customers on a nightly and weekly basis than they do now. People would definitely be encouraged to rent maybe 3-4 titles per visit.

Even though $4.99 for 3 nights for new releases, the price is a huge turnoff for me. Yeah it's cheaper than seeing a matinee, but still how the hell can they stay in business?

The only drawback I can see to lowering prices is that the newer movies will probably be checked out more often. But, then again who gives a shit? You have a company drowning in debt and hundreds of DVD's sit on the shelf unrented because you think you need to raise your prices to cover your overhead. Ridiculous if you ask me.
Old 03-06-09, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When I used to have a Blockbuster online membership the BB by my house dropped their fees and they were on a conference call when i went in there.

1.99 for all new releases for 1 day 4.99 for 5 days
.99 for all old titles for 3 days 1.99 every day after
8.99 for all games 5 days.

Not sure if that is still happening but that was in January I canceled my membership since then because of them not sending me movies. I got a refund though after i complained that they broke their side of the rental agreement so why should I honor mine. Told them I was going to do a charge back on my credit card if they didn't give me a refund. I got the refund in 10 days.
Old 03-06-09, 04:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a "Family Video" near me that always seems to be busy...but they also have a good location and better rental rates.

Older movies are like $1 for 5 days, which is a great price.
Old 03-06-09, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well my opinion of them literally changed overnight...

Come to find out, all of a sudden and without notification, that if you have the online service and use one of your in-store exchanges, that no longer generates a new mailing to be sent out to you. Now you don't get a new disc in the mail until you return your exchange rental to the store. Fuck that noise. Cancelled my online plan and upped our Netflix to compensate.
Old 03-06-09, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by chuckd21

Come to find out, all of a sudden and without notification, that if you have the online service and use one of your in-store exchanges, that no longer generates a new mailing to be sent out to you. Now you don't get a new disc in the mail until you return your exchange rental to the store. Fuck that noise. Cancelled my online plan and upped our Netflix to compensate.
That's really fucking stupid. Wasn't the whole point of the free in store rental deal was that you always had a movie to watch? I really don't want people to lose their jobs, but Blockbuster has done so much to fuck over movie buffs. I certanly won't be sad if they go. I'm glad I switched to Netflix.
Old 03-06-09, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckd21

Wow..I came back to this thread to see if this happened to anyone else...way to go BB, not even a fucking email explaining this new policy...
Old 03-06-09, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by panchor
I still go frequently. I have been on their online program for a few years now, the only reason I haven't cancelled it is because when they changed their terms, they did not changed it for current members; I still have unlimited sotre rentals when I return online movies on the store. If they decide to close the stores and only keep their online service I will definitley switch to Netflix, if there are no store returns then there is no reason to continue with them.
Wait, panchor said that current members did not change their terms... as I haven't returned an online movie to a store in some time, which is it? If I'm legacied in, I'll probably keep it, if not, I'm dropping the service right before my renew date.
Old 03-06-09, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

sounds like a trend.
Actually what is funny is this is true:

Worked at "The Broadway" 1980-1991, they went out of business around 1996

I worked at the Good Guys from 1991-1993, out of business in 2006

Worked at Circuit City from 1993 - 1999 out of business in 2009...
Old 03-08-09, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

Blockbuster jerked me around several years ago, and I've never been back to one since. When I rented from B&Ms, I went to Hollywood Video. I don't really want to see Blockbuster go, though, since I really enjoy watching them do things to their customers that are supposed to be a "good idea."