DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Store Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum-7/)
-   -   Amazon prime? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/550506-amazon-prime.html)

Remote 02-24-09 07:38 AM

Amazon prime?

Sorry I'm not sure where this should go. I used to see these threads that said "Amazon Prime, 2 slots open" or something like that. I haven't seen them in awhile. Are these posts banned now or is no one offering it anymore? If anyone is I would be happy to have one of the slots. Thanks.

kenbenobi 02-24-09 07:47 AM

Re: Amazon prime?

Definitely not the right forum area, and I have no idea what you are talking about... Prime is $79, anyone can get it...

Remote 02-24-09 07:53 AM

Maybe it was in the hot deals forum. They used to send invites to join their prime membership for a discounted rate. I know everyone can join by paying $79.

basaro 02-24-09 08:13 AM

maybe it's in the store forum, that's a likely place to discuss store deals

DiedLaughing 02-24-09 10:06 AM

You can add a few people to your Prime membership... this what the post is talking about. My brother gets his free from his job and hooked me up in on the slots. Can't beat that.

Remote 02-24-09 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by DiedLaughing (Post 9288089)
You can add a few people to your Prime membership... this what the post is talking about. My brother gets his free from his job and hooked me up in on the slots. Can't beat that.

Exactly, I've seen people selling those slots on here. I haven't seen it in awhile but would be grateful if anyone could sell me one.

joeblow69 02-24-09 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Remote (Post 9288162)
Exactly, I've seen people selling those slots on here. I haven't seen it in awhile but would be grateful if anyone could sell me one.

My understanding is that those slots are meant to go to family members. So imho, it seems a little sleazy for people to be selling slots to total strangers online.

iamiam 02-24-09 12:08 PM

Amazon has recently banned some people who were abusing their policies. Be careful who you invite to share your Prime.

Remote 02-24-09 12:35 PM

I just bought Prime on Amazon for $79 so disregard this.

DirkUSA 02-24-09 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Remote (Post 9288496)
I just bought Prime on Amazon for $79 so disregard this.

Are you sharing???????????????????????

Just kidding!

Remote 02-24-09 02:04 PM

lol

I knew someone would ask.

fujishig 02-24-09 06:37 PM

I just bought prime too...
actually a little surprised that it's pretty much a one click purchase. I thought it would add it to my cart or something, but it automatically charged my card as soon as I clicked on the button.

bunkaroo 02-24-09 07:47 PM

This thread reminded me to make sure my Prime doesn't auto-renew.

I won't be buying nearly as much from them this year due to the removal of the 30-day price guarantee. I'm tired of seeing stuff drop $10 a week after release (Amadeus BD comes to mind).

My sub is up in late March. I'll spend the tax and couple bucks extra for local flexibility and instant gratification this year.

TomOpus 02-24-09 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 9289393)
I just bought prime too...
actually a little surprised that it's pretty much a one click purchase. I thought it would add it to my cart or something, but it automatically charged my card as soon as I clicked on the button.

I think it depends on which button you hit. I have the 1-click option but I also still have it added to my cart before making the final push.

shacmasta 02-28-09 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by bunkaroo (Post 9289535)
This thread reminded me to make sure my Prime doesn't auto-renew.

I won't be buying nearly as much from them this year due to the removal of the 30-day price guarantee. I'm tired of seeing stuff drop $10 a week after release (Amadeus BD comes to mind).

My sub is up in late March. I'll spend the tax and couple bucks extra for local flexibility and instant gratification this year.

And your post just reminded me.

jjcool 03-03-09 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by TomOpus (Post 9289639)
I think it depends on which button you hit. I have the 1-click option but I also still have it added to my cart before making the final push.

Delayed response here, but I think he was referring to the actual purchase of Prime itself. The $79 charge came through after he clicked one button rather than adding it to his cart and checking out that way.

Anyone that buys regularly from Amazon should have prime, in my opinion. Automatic 2 day shipping, as well as not worrying about filler items is so nice.

InstantKarma 03-03-09 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by jjcool (Post 9302662)
Delayed response here, but I think he was referring to the actual purchase of Prime itself. The $79 charge came through after he clicked one button rather than adding it to his cart and checking out that way.

Anyone that buys regularly from Amazon should have prime, in my opinion. Automatic 2 day shipping, as well as not worrying about filler items is so nice.

Yup, I always buy DVDs from Amazon all the time and Amazon Prime is SO VERY WORTH THE $79 DOLLARS I PAID FOR!!!!! I have been a Prime member for 2 years now!

fujishig 03-03-09 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by jjcool (Post 9302662)

Right, I thought I would add it to my cart and mull it over a bit, but it went through as a separate transaction immediately. Not that I regret it, I was just a little surprised, since for my purchases I have one-click purchases turned off.

jjcool 03-04-09 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 9302906)
Right, I thought I would add it to my cart and mull it over a bit, but it went through as a separate transaction immediately. Not that I regret it, I was just a little surprised, since for my purchases I have one-click purchases turned off.

I do find that a bit strange too. I personally dont like one click ordering, as I tend to put stuff in my cart and elave it there, to see if it will go down in price.

TomOpus 03-07-09 06:59 AM

Ok, I see what he meant now.

Also, check your Prime account setting. It's usually defaulted to automatically renew in a year. You might want to consider turning that function off.

If you wind up enjoying Prime, keep an eye out for special prices around the time for re-up. I had gone through a period where I wasn't buying much so I let my Prime lapse. There was a special for $59 and I'm glad I renewed because I've been buying a lot lately.

NoirFan 03-07-09 09:58 AM

I never saw the need for Amazon Prime, as most of my in-stock orders arrive within two days of my ordering them, and that's with free shipping.

matome 03-11-09 08:32 AM

Prime was awesome as I would get my stuff pretty much next day and I had switched all my DVD purchases to Amazon. Then they had to start charging NY sales tax and DVDEmpire started offering free shipping (which pretty much gets to me next day as well) so I won't be renewing.

SethDLH 04-13-09 03:18 PM

I have a question about the free trial of prime that maybe someone can help me out with-

I want to cancel the membership as I really don't want to spend $79 for a year of cheaper shipping. When I go into my account the only thing I really do in the Amazon Prime section is click "do not automatically upgrade" which turns off the automatic upgrade to the 1 year membership.

is this all i need to do to cancel the free trial?

fujishig 04-13-09 06:24 PM

yes, if you cancel the auto renew that should be enough.

On a side note, amazon prime seems like a brilliant move on the part of amazon. I had been using them more and more as their discounts got better and better, but with prime, I've bought more than ever before, and I even opened up a Chase Amazon credit card account to take advantage.

I'm sure cash-strapped CA will soon follow in the steps of NY, though...

mmconhea 04-15-09 09:10 AM

Yeah, I had to cancel prime to help control spending. Prime got me on a first-name basis with my UPS guy.
It was a lot easier to cancel when they started charging tax in NY though.