Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Why is it taking Amazon a full week to ship out my order?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-09, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

I placed an order for a handful of dvds (all of them "in stock") on the 10th, and not only have they not gone out yet, their estimate of when they'll go out is the 18th - more than a week after I placed the order.

Sure, I picked super-saver shipping, but that's just supposed to be slow shipping, not taking a full fucking week just to put a couple dvds in a box. What the fuck?
Old 02-14-09, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Re: Why is it taking Amazon a full week to ship out my order?

I had the same reaction a while back and emailed them. They pointed out that Super Saver shipping can take up to 5 business days to ship as stated somewhere. Basically they lost alot of my business as a result. Guess they are pushing the Prime shipping option. If I order from them now, it's only for super deals or off of Marketplace.
Old 02-14-09, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From the Amazon website:

4. Select Super Saver Shipping as your shipping speed. Please note that your order may take an additional 3 to 5 business days to ship out from our fulfillment center(s). Transit time for Super Saver Shipping orders is 5 to 9 business days after shipping.

This alone could mean 14 business days. I've used them a lot w/ free shipping and sometimes it's shipped out the next day and I get it within 2 days and sometimes it's 5 days before it ships and another week before I get it. I think it all depends on who's paid for shipping and is ahead of you in line. Of course at least it isn't like Tower's free shipping where they send out notices on items that have "shipped" - only they haven't because all your order is not in stock yet (and won't until every item is ready regardless of how many notices you get).
Old 02-14-09, 06:26 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

What do you want for nothing, rubber biscuit?

Get the Prime, it's worth it.
Old 02-14-09, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by logangrey
From the Amazon website:

4. Select Super Saver Shipping as your shipping speed. Please note that your order may take an additional 3 to 5 business days to ship out from our fulfillment center(s). Transit time for Super Saver Shipping orders is 5 to 9 business days after shipping.
Yeah, but by the time it even leaves their fulfillment center, it will have been 7 business days.
Old 02-14-09, 08:40 PM
JB7
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think it depends which shipping facility it is coming from. KY seems to take much longer for me and its closer then NV or AZ and those get here in 10 days or less. My last order from KY with FSSS took 28 days and the items were in stock. I thought the package was lost.
Old 02-14-09, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Yeah, but by the time it even leaves their fulfillment center, it will have been 7 business days.
Wouldn't it be 5? You ordered on the 10th, so that doesn't count as a day. so there's the 11th, 12th, and 13th. 14, 15 are weekends, and then the 16th is a holiday. 17 and 18 would be your fourth and fifth business days.
Old 02-15-09, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I didn't think of the 18th as a holiday (I have to work, and every business I deal with is open), but it's still ridiculous that it takes more than a week to throw some dvds into a box. Not to mention, I couldn't change the order even yesterday because it was "shipping soon", even though they state that it's not shipping for another 5 days - that's some bullshit right there.
Old 02-15-09, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I didn't think of the 18th as a holiday (I have to work, and every business I deal with is open), but it's still ridiculous that it takes more than a week to throw some dvds into a box. Not to mention, I couldn't change the order even yesterday because it was "shipping soon", even though they state that it's not shipping for another 5 days - that's some bullshit right there.
16th you mean. It's a national holiday and there's no US mail delivery It sucks that you can't modify it though. I simply imagine that with the large volume of orders that Amazon gets, free super saver shipping gives them an excuse to queue up the deliveries.
Old 02-15-09, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Strange. I always use the free shipping option and I get mine within 2-3 business days. For example. I ordered a couple Blu-Rays Tuesday night and I received them Saturday using the free shipping option.
Old 02-15-09, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Remember back in the good ol' days when you could place an order with Amazon, and have it delivered within 72 hours? I simply refuse to pay eighty bucks a year for the same service I used to receive for free.
Old 02-15-09, 06:08 AM

Then just pay for the shipping, people just complain about everything the shipping is free what more do you want???????
Old 02-15-09, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Amazon always pads its shipping estimates anyway. It almost never takes as long as the estimate indicates.
Old 02-15-09, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You get what you pay for. I use free shipping and I'm fine waiting to save a few bucks. When I'm in a hurry, I'll got to a b&m store to get a CD or DVD.
Old 02-15-09, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It's just that I've almost always used free shipping, and it's never taken this long before. And now that it has, I can't change it. If I would've known, I would've paid a little more to get it out quicker.
Old 02-15-09, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

DVD Empire's free shipping ships the same day. Thats what I don't understand about Amazon. They wait until they ship to charge your CC which is stupid because if they shipped earlier they would have gotten there money earlier.
Old 02-16-09, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by disneyguy
Then just pay for the shipping, people just complain about everything the shipping is free what more do you want???????
That is not a constructive comment and adds nothing to the discussion. The original poster's point was that Amazon has changed their shipping policies to intentionally slow down free shipping orders. This did not used to be true in the past, and he was wondering if others had experienced the same issue. I have--I placed an order on 2/9, it shipped today 2/16. It was for one DVD that was in-stock when I ordered it. In the past this would have shipped out the next day and arrived in less than a week.
Old 02-16-09, 08:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I ordered something last Saturday (2/7) and chose free Super Saver shipping. I received it Monday (2/9) afternoon.
Old 02-16-09, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Before they introduced PRIME, all my Amazon orders shipped promptly with free shipping, but that rarely happens any more. When I place my order, I assume that Amazon will simply stare at it for a week or so.
Old 02-16-09, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Yeah, it seems like Amazon sits on your order for about a week before they ship it.

I wonder if it isn't due to some kind of idiosyncrasy with their inventory management system. I know that they have warehouses all over the country, so when you purchase multiple items, maybe they have to wait for everything to come into stock at a single location before they ship, so they can ship everything in a single box. It seems like they lock things into "ready to ship" status - where you can't make changes to your order -- several days before it actually ships.
Old 02-16-09, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

This isn't exactly news. I noticed this start happening years ago. What I imagine happens is that all the super saver shipping orders get held until a certain time. All the paid shipping shipments get packaged and sent off, and if there is still time in the day or space in the "quota" then they fill some of the super saver orders. As i have had FSSS packages go out in a day, and some take a week. I could very well be wrong.

Prime really is worth it. My cousin got it, and added me to his account. It really is nice to not have to worry about paying for shipping each order, not having to find filler items, etc.
Old 02-17-09, 04:12 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I always assume free shipping is going to take longer, whether it is DD, Amazon or anyone. It is silly to complain. Pretend that you go into your favorite pizza place every week, and every time the owner gives you a free large soda. But one day he give you a free small soda instead. Are you going to bitch him out because he didn't give you a large. Yeah maybe Amazon is not sending out things as fast as they used to with free shipping, but it is free and you have the option to join prime(which is great by the way) or pay for any kind of shipping you want.
Old 02-17-09, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Amazon is always slow when I buy stuff from them. It's always about 1.5 weeks before I get the item with free shipping.
Old 02-17-09, 04:56 PM
Cool New Member

With a name like Amazon...it could have been misplaced.
Old 02-24-09, 04:22 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by iamiam
What do you want for nothing, rubber biscuit?

Get the Prime, it's worth it.
+1 for Prime. I agree it's worth it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.