Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Why is it taking Amazon a full week to ship out my order?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Why is it taking Amazon a full week to ship out my order?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-09, 03:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Why is it taking Amazon a full week to ship out my order?

I used to always get my items faster too, now it's at least 10 days. Most of that time is waiting for it to be shipped. Once it actually goes out, I typicall get it within two days. It's the week they spend staring at the order since I don't pay for Prime that delays the process. It's still faster than DD though, that's at least a 2 week wait for me.

But I really don't care how long it takes. I'm never in a hurry to get an item and I'm not going to pay extra money for them to do their job faster.

Last edited by Living Dead; 03-02-09 at 04:02 AM.
Old 03-02-09, 10:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just ordered Ronin on saturday-it shipped today(monday)-I always go with free shipping. I've had a few things in the past take several days to ship but I always get them in about 3 working days once they have shipped.
Old 03-02-09, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

yeah, FSSS method is not very good... My copy of Killzone 2 was just shipped Saturday, while a lot of other people got theirs already (they have prime). But that's not the point, some people used FSSS and got their order shipped on Friday. Anyhow, use Amazon's FSSS if you're willing to wait.
Old 03-02-09, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i get shipments from amazon.co.uk quicker than i do amazon.com...

i ordered some dvds from amazon UK on feb. 20th and received them on the 27th. i can't remember the last time i got that turnaround time from amazon US.
Old 03-02-09, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Yeah, so I ended up getting my order just a couple days after they shipped it.

So, it used to be that free shipping would ship out in a day or two, but the actual transit time would take about 3-5 days. But now, they seem to sit on the order for about a week, but the transit time/shipping method is the same as if you had paid for it.
It takes the same time to get the order either way - used to be amazon worked quickly, then used slow shipping, but now it seems that amazon's working slowly and using regular shipping for the same results.

Since this seems to be a new practice, my theory is that during this current economic climate, Amazon have let people go/reduced hours, so "free shipping" orders are put on the back-burner, but shipped with regular mail, instead of slow-boat and end up with the same turnaround time as before.
Old 03-02-09, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Yeah, so I ended up getting my order just a couple days after they shipped it.

So, it used to be that free shipping would ship out in a day or two, but the actual transit time would take about 3-5 days. But now, they seem to sit on the order for about a week, but the transit time/shipping method is the same as if you had paid for it.
It takes the same time to get the order either way - used to be amazon worked quickly, then used slow shipping, but now it seems that amazon's working slowly and using regular shipping for the same results.

Since this seems to be a new practice, my theory is that during this current economic climate, Amazon have let people go/reduced hours, so "free shipping" orders are put on the back-burner, but shipped with regular mail, instead of slow-boat and end up with the same turnaround time as before.
I have noticed that 9 out of 10 items I get from amazon now ship from warehouses that are 1 day away. the vast majority of stuff I order gets shipped ups from a warehouse that is in the same zone as me, so I get it the next day with ground shipping. seems liek they ahve opened alot more warehouses.
Old 03-02-09, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
I placed an order for a handful of dvds (all of them "in stock") on the 10th, and not only have they not gone out yet, their estimate of when they'll go out is the 18th - more than a week after I placed the order.
My orders with "free shipping" are hit or miss. Sometimes I get the items in a couple of days - or like now - I've been waiting about 4 days for them to even ship. And it lists the estimated ship date as still another two days out.

But nothing I'm ordering is urgent, so I don't mind the wait since the shipping is free. If it's something I need by a certain date I'll pay for shipping, just to be safe. Otherwise, I can wait.

And I can't quite justify the $79 for Prime, though I have become increasingly more tempted.
Old 03-02-09, 01:00 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I do think Amazon plays around with how soon you receive your orders. I use to place an order, and if not shipped within a day, I would cancel the order with the reason "I needed the item sooner." Then place the same order and lot of times that order would ship sooner. But when Amazon offered Prime for $59, I jumped on it since I don't have to look for "filler" items just to get "free" shipping.
Old 03-02-09, 01:12 PM

I see everyone say that amazon sits on the product and stars at it. Is it absurd to think that they may possibly have a lot of "cheap" customers who don't want to pay any shipping at all, placing orders ALL the time and slowing down fullfillment? Of course PAYING customers who actually pay for the shipping should take priority. Of course years ago they fullfilled orders faster, but as they grew they coudln't keep up with this. It just seems that there's no real reason to complain unless you actually paid for the shipping. They got the item out in the amount of time they suggested and unfortunatly holiday's that affect the mail which is a MAJOR part of their business can't be helped. It happens. I sell on Amazon and get my items out same day or next day, but if I get a large amount of orders in a given day, it might take me a little longer to ship them out. I can certainly see from my perspective why it could take Amazon so long to fulfill those orders....
Old 03-02-09, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fAlken76
I see everyone say that amazon sits on the product and stars at it. Is it absurd to think that they may possibly have a lot of "cheap" customers who don't want to pay any shipping at all, placing orders ALL the time and slowing down fullfillment? Of course PAYING customers who actually pay for the shipping should take priority. Of course years ago they fullfilled orders faster, but as they grew they coudln't keep up with this.

Because I choose the free shipping option when it's available, I'm not a "PAYING" customer but rather a "cheap" customer with no worth to Amazon, despite having spent tens of thousands of dollars on the site since it began. Your logic is flawless.

A customer is a customer regardless of whether they spend ten dollars or ten thousand and regardless of what type of shipping they choose.

Last edited by Living Dead; 03-02-09 at 04:33 PM.
Old 03-03-09, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Living Dead

Because I choose the free shipping option when it's available, I'm not a "PAYING" customer but rather a "cheap" customer with no worth to Amazon, despite having spent tens of thousands of dollars on the site since it began. Your logic is flawless.

A customer is a customer regardless of whether they spend ten dollars or ten thousand and regardless of what type of shipping they choose.
Yeah, poor wording there. What I took from his ramble was that paid shipping will take priority over free shipping. Which I think is pretty common sense. Of course Amazon is going to ship all the stuff with paid shipping first, as those are the packages that need to get out and to their destination by a certain time. The free shipping packages will hold for a day or two until they have room for them, on a lighter day or something.