Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

why does everybody shop at the big guys?

Old 02-08-09, 01:57 AM
Banned

why does everybody shop at the big guys?

All the posts i read everybody buys from the major online places. I usually help the little guys on ebay before I buy
anywhere else. People scream about walmart putting little mom and pop stores outa business, right? I only buy from the big guys when I can't find a good seller I trust feedback wise on ebay, or if they just don't have a title I'm looking for. I'm not getting on anybody, I'm just curious. I mean the ebay auctions I see usually always have better prices over the online stores.
Old 02-08-09, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: why does everybody shop at the big guys?

I don't want to deal with the bullshit that is ebay and paypal.
Old 02-08-09, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

well, just my observation... greedbay takes time to get the best prices. time is money. gotta go!

Old 02-08-09, 08:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mndtrp View Post
I don't want to deal with the bullshit that is ebay and paypal.
Ditto. And with ebay, you get the risk of receiving bootleg or crap for what you paid. Also, if you check closely, many times Amazon has better prices than any ebay auction.
Old 02-08-09, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I used to shop at a local DVD shop that I never got better than 25% off list, but they were all movie buffs and I liked supporting them. Sadly the owner died and the family didn't care to continue the business.

Now I shop with Amazon.
Old 02-08-09, 10:27 PM

Anything that I purchase I try to shop wherever I can find the best deals. Its not always at a big retailer.. and there have been quite a few smaller merchants I have purchased from and the service and price has been superior to bigger retailers, but usually the bigger businesses end up having better deals.
Old 02-09-09, 04:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I tend to buy from Amazon marketplace sellers. It's similar to buying stuff on eBay, but without all the BS.
Old 02-09-09, 10:20 AM

I use dvdpricesearch but I tend to buy almost exclusively from Amazon and DeepDiscount. I've dealt with those two for years and had mostly good experiences with no disasters and no qualms about giving them my CC number.

Brick-and-mortar-wise, it's usually Best Buy or Target, although Target has ticked me off lately with their inability to reliably stock items (to the point where I ended up with a worthless rain check after several tries over three weeks). Those stores are only for impulse buys or special editions (like the Target "Hulk" and "Dark Knight" sets). Most of the time I'm willing to wait and thus not have to pay retail tax (I only use free shipping online for DVDs).

Probably five or six years ago I started cutting back on buying used DVDs at local smaller stores. That coincided with a heavier cycling in Columbia House, so it seemed silly to pay $5-10 for used when I could get new for that.
Old 02-09-09, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought you were talking about b&m at first, but for online, I'd imagine it's mostly the same reasons: price, convenience, and trust. How many of these small online shops are selling bootlegs and/or are not trustworthy? And ebay has a ton of question marks for casual buyers. While the b&m online entities usually don't have the best prices, they usually also offer in-store returns, which is very convenient if there's a store near you.

I know people have problems with DDD as well, but Amazon has always been trustworthy to me... most of the complaints seem to come out of not getting a better deal out of them.

That said, I do shop at smaller online shops that have been recommended by others... for instance, I'm not sure how big monoprice.com is, but I always buy cables from them. I don't think BigBadToyStore is that huge, but I'll buy toys from them and HLJ.com.
Old 02-09-09, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by neonguy528 View Post
All the posts i read everybody buys from the major online places. I usually help the little guys on ebay before I buy
anywhere else. People scream about walmart putting little mom and pop stores outa business, right? I only buy from the big guys when I can't find a good seller I trust feedback wise on ebay, or if they just don't have a title I'm looking for. I'm not getting on anybody, I'm just curious. I mean the ebay auctions I see usually always have better prices over the online stores.
I would rather buy from a trusted store than some kid putting up auctions from his parents basement.
Old 02-09-09, 03:33 PM

Too many bootlegs on eBay. I bought a DVD from one seller that had a good rating that claimed he/she was selling his or her DVD collection because of a death in the family. I bought one and it turned out to be a bootleg. The quality of the movie was perfect but it was a bootleg. Afterwards, I found out the seller was selling multiple copies of the same movie. Amazon has great prices when the titles go on sale, fast shipping and you can track your package.
Old 02-09-09, 05:34 PM

ditto to the bootleg mentions. its just not worth the time or money... and with sites like amazon and deep discount, it's getting harder and harder for me to justify dealing with paypal and ebay...
Old 02-09-09, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Shipping costs