Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Can you get Best Buy RZ points using a gift card?

Old 01-23-09, 11:00 AM
  #1  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Michigan
Posts: 10,989
Can you get Best Buy RZ points using a gift card?

I know Best Buy gives points when you purchase a gift card, but does the card user also get the points when using it, or is it just points for anything additional spent after the gift card?

I thought of this the other day and was just wondering.

Last edited by Snowmaker; 01-23-09 at 11:04 AM.
Snowmaker is offline  
Old 01-23-09, 12:32 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Michigan
Posts: 10,989
Re: Can you get Best Buy RZ points using a gift card?

Originally Posted by the Chief View Post
nope - they use to though. Sometime last year, BB figured out that people could get points by buying gift cards, then turn right around and use them and get points again.

Stopped the double dipping.

Rats! I guess I was a year too late with my idea.
Snowmaker is offline  
Old 01-23-09, 04:55 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
TheKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: City Of Orange, CA
Posts: 8,060
Re: Can you get Best Buy RZ points using a gift card?

Originally Posted by the Chief View Post
nope - they use to though. Sometime last year, BB figured out that people could get points by buying gift cards, then turn right around and use them and get points again.

Stopped the double dipping.
Actually, there was never double dipping involved. The way things used to work, you didn't get RZ points when you bought a gift card, but did when you used it.

They flipped the rules so that the only time you get RZ points is when you buy gift cards directly from them. That way, they're not giving out points for gift cards you bought at say a supermarket.
TheKing is offline  
Old 01-31-09, 04:17 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
BKenn01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Big Blue Nation!
Posts: 4,497
Re: Can you get Best Buy RZ points using a gift card?

they're not giving out points for gift cards you bought at say a supermarket.
If that was the reason, it wasnt very bright. The person still has to spend the money at Best Buy.
BKenn01 is offline  
Old 01-31-09, 04:37 PM
  #5  
JB7
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,057
Re: Can you get Best Buy RZ points using a gift card?

I always thought it was because reward sites have BB gc as rewards. BB probably gives them a discount or even for free.
JB7 is offline  
Old 02-02-09, 10:52 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Legend
 
kenbenobi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 10,651
Re: Can you get Best Buy RZ points using a gift card?

Actually, it seems to me that the main reason for the change is because Best Buy allows returns without a receipt. They issue you a gift card, and they don't want people earning points from credit they received for their returned gifts. Of course, the above are valid reasons as well, but I think they would be giving away SOOOO many points from no-receipt gift cards issued (which would have indeed been double-dipping since the person who bought the items got points, and no one had points deducted when the items were returned, then that person would earn points as well with the GC. The rule change makes sense to me...
kenbenobi is offline  
Old 02-02-09, 06:06 PM
  #7  
JB7
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,057
Re: Can you get Best Buy RZ points using a gift card?

Your response Ken, got me thinking. Maybe its because Best Buy gives away so many gift cards for complaints. They probably don't want to give points on those cards.
JB7 is offline  
Old 02-10-09, 01:55 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 3,107
Re: Can you get Best Buy RZ points using a gift card?

Originally Posted by JB7 View Post
I always thought it was because reward sites have BB gc as rewards. BB probably gives them a discount or even for free.
Bestbuy rewards aren't really gift cards.


Originally Posted by kenbenobi View Post
Actually, it seems to me that the main reason for the change is because Best Buy allows returns without a receipt. They issue you a gift card, and they don't want people earning points from credit they received for their returned gifts. Of course, the above are valid reasons as well, but I think they would be giving away SOOOO many points from no-receipt gift cards issued (which would have indeed been double-dipping since the person who bought the items got points, and no one had points deducted when the items were returned, then that person would earn points as well with the GC. The rule change makes sense to me...
I thought Bestbuy only allowed 1 no receipt return a year at most?
Krayzie is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.