Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Can you get Best Buy RZ points using a gift card?

Old 01-23-09, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Can you get Best Buy RZ points using a gift card?

I know Best Buy gives points when you purchase a gift card, but does the card user also get the points when using it, or is it just points for anything additional spent after the gift card?

I thought of this the other day and was just wondering.

Last edited by Snowmaker; 01-23-09 at 11:04 AM.
Old 01-23-09, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Can you get Best Buy RZ points using a gift card?

Originally Posted by the Chief View Post
nope - they use to though. Sometime last year, BB figured out that people could get points by buying gift cards, then turn right around and use them and get points again.

Stopped the double dipping.

Rats! I guess I was a year too late with my idea.
Old 01-23-09, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by the Chief View Post
nope - they use to though. Sometime last year, BB figured out that people could get points by buying gift cards, then turn right around and use them and get points again.

Stopped the double dipping.
Actually, there was never double dipping involved. The way things used to work, you didn't get RZ points when you bought a gift card, but did when you used it.

They flipped the rules so that the only time you get RZ points is when you buy gift cards directly from them. That way, they're not giving out points for gift cards you bought at say a supermarket.
Old 01-31-09, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

they're not giving out points for gift cards you bought at say a supermarket.
If that was the reason, it wasnt very bright. The person still has to spend the money at Best Buy.
Old 01-31-09, 04:37 PM
JB7
DVD Talk Special Edition

I always thought it was because reward sites have BB gc as rewards. BB probably gives them a discount or even for free.
Old 02-02-09, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Actually, it seems to me that the main reason for the change is because Best Buy allows returns without a receipt. They issue you a gift card, and they don't want people earning points from credit they received for their returned gifts. Of course, the above are valid reasons as well, but I think they would be giving away SOOOO many points from no-receipt gift cards issued (which would have indeed been double-dipping since the person who bought the items got points, and no one had points deducted when the items were returned, then that person would earn points as well with the GC. The rule change makes sense to me...
Old 02-02-09, 06:06 PM
JB7
DVD Talk Special Edition

Your response Ken, got me thinking. Maybe its because Best Buy gives away so many gift cards for complaints. They probably don't want to give points on those cards.
Old 02-10-09, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by JB7 View Post
I always thought it was because reward sites have BB gc as rewards. BB probably gives them a discount or even for free.
Bestbuy rewards aren't really gift cards.

Originally Posted by kenbenobi View Post
Actually, it seems to me that the main reason for the change is because Best Buy allows returns without a receipt. They issue you a gift card, and they don't want people earning points from credit they received for their returned gifts. Of course, the above are valid reasons as well, but I think they would be giving away SOOOO many points from no-receipt gift cards issued (which would have indeed been double-dipping since the person who bought the items got points, and no one had points deducted when the items were returned, then that person would earn points as well with the GC. The rule change makes sense to me...
I thought Bestbuy only allowed 1 no receipt return a year at most?