DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Store Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum-7/)
-   -   Change in Amazon's return policy? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/548352-change-amazons-return-policy.html)

starseed 01-21-09 04:51 PM

Change in Amazon's return policy?

My copy of The Third Man on BD arrived today from Amazon, and of course Criterion's delicate digipak packaging was damaged by the time it got here.

It used to be that I could request a replacement shipment online, but now I get this message.

It no longer gives me an option for "refund" or "replacement." So it looks like I can return it for a refund and then just buy another one, but I LOVED being able to request a replacement online (which usually arrived pretty fast) and then return the original at my leisure.

However, Amazon's return policy still includes a section on exchange/replacement shipments.

What gives?

fujishig 01-21-09 04:55 PM

Re: Change in Amazon's return policy?

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum...s-anymore.html

disneyguy 01-21-09 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by starseed (Post 9214267)
My copy of The Third Man on BD arrived today from Amazon, and of course Criterion's delicate digipak packaging was damaged by the time it got here.

It used to be that I could request a replacement shipment online, but now I get this message.

It no longer gives me an option for "refund" or "replacement." So it looks like I can return it for a refund and then just buy another one, but I LOVED being able to request a replacement online (which usually arrived pretty fast) and then return the original at my leisure.

However, Amazon's return policy still includes a section on exchange/replacement shipments.

What gives?

Seems fair, you send it back then they send you one..Why should then send you one when you haven't sent the other one back..There are a business,,

big whoppa 01-22-09 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by disneyguy (Post 9214310)
Seems fair, you send it back then they send you one..Why should then send you one when you haven't sent the other one back..There are a business,,

True but Amazon will send you a replacement before they get the damaged or defective item back. However, if they don't get it within 30 days, they will charge you for the replacement item.

riotinmyskull 01-22-09 05:37 AM

i'm hoping this is just a fluke since i purchase most of my box sets from amazon for precisely this reason. if i get a floater i can just request a replacement and hold on to the original one and mix and match once the new one arrives and then send back the damaged one within 30 days.

EDIT: well it looks like it isn't a fluke after all. i just tried to test it by requested a return on an item that i received recently and i got that message before i could confirm the request. hopefully this is temporary and they're dealing with all the holiday returns and are just trying to get caught up. if this is permanent then who can we contact to request that their old method be put back in place?

kaze0 01-22-09 07:30 AM

I think it's just a holiday thing. LEt's wait til l the end of Jan and see?

Adboy151 01-22-09 09:05 AM

I just did a return a couple weeks for a slightly similar issue. TV set sent in lightweight bubble-mailer and it was dinged up and one of slim cases was crushed, but I was able to to the replace-and-return with no issues.

Did you check the box on next to item screen and then from the pull-down select, "Damaged Due to Inappropriate Packaging?"

I just tried that for another item and the next screen went right into do you a want a refund or replacement mode.

Krayzie 01-22-09 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull (Post 9215395)
i'm hoping this is just a fluke since i purchase most of my box sets from amazon for precisely this reason. if i get a floater i can just request a replacement and hold on to the original one and mix and match once the new one arrives and then send back the damaged one within 30 days.

Are floaters considered defective? When I worked at CC we'd pull all the floaters and throw them in a defective box. Recently, many of my video games have been floaters.

jjcool 01-22-09 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by disneyguy (Post 9214310)

Originally Posted by big whoppa (Post 9215331)
True but Amazon will send you a replacement before they get the damaged or defective item back. However, if they don't get it within 30 days, they will charge you for the replacement item.

My understanding of the policies is that they dont do any exchanges anymore, only returns. If you get soemthign defective you return it for a refund of what you paid, and purchase another one. These would go as two seperate trasactions, a sale, and then when they get the return back, a credit. I dont know what they would do if there is a price difference between when you originally ordered the item and when you reordered the item. I cant believe that they wouldn't match the original price if the price went up.

Kevin M. Dean 01-22-09 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by jjcool (Post 9216666)
My understanding of the policies is that they dont do any exchanges anymore, only returns. If you get soemthign defective you return it for a refund of what you paid, and purchase another one.

Exchange Policy link

If you received a faulty item and need to exchange it for the same item, visit our Returns Center to request a replacement. If you would like to exchange an item for a different one, please return the original item through our online Returns Center (you will be refunded your original purchase price once we receive the item) and place another order for the item you wish to purchase.
I read that as exchanges can work when you're replacing a defective item, but if you want to return an item and replace it with something else then it's a normal return.