Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Why Do Stores Keep Dvds Under Lock and Key?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Why Do Stores Keep Dvds Under Lock and Key?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-09, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Re: Why Do Stores Keep Dvds Under Lock and Key?

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Funny this thread popped up.

Yesterday a guy came into the Media Section of the store I work at and liberated about $300 worth of DVD's. All of them had the plastic completely torn off/removed. Didn't take a look at what he did with the security stickers inside.

As per policy, I couldn't say anything until I visually saw something. As my manager and I walked by the customer (he had a backpack), he was grabbing handfuls of un-cased CD's and putting them into his backpack. Smart move.

I agree with a lot of posters here that asking someone to get a movie out of a case is inconvenient for the customer. Don't get it twisted, it is NEVER inconvenient for the associate and nor it ever should be. It is our job and that is that.

Also another example of shoplifting at the store I work at that sort of relates to the OP's question. We had a large group of shoplifters (they worked together and hit different stores in our area), just either do quick runs where they would run in grab items and run out. Or in the case of the Media Section, all of the DVD's that were not cased or locked up, they just cut the plastic and took all of the discs out. Discs don't set off the alarms outside of the packaging and not everyone needs packaging
The flea market i go to on the weekends has at least two guys that have a crap load of dvds in a giant cd holder. Never has the cases for any of them.
Old 01-14-09, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

When I started working at my family's consignment shop, one of the first things I did was bring in a CD binder of mine. I put a sticker on each and every pocket, and numbered them 1 through whatever the last pocket number was. 192 or something, maybe? Anyway, when we put out CD's, DVD's or disc-sized video games, I would find an empty pocket, put the disc in it, and then write down on the ticket for the item in which pocket number its disc could be found. Then, the cases were all in plain sight and could be handled by our shoppers; they could see the price and everything but the discs themselves (which we gladly showed anyone who wanted to see them before paying).

What sparked this measure with used CD's and DVD's, that were rarely priced above $8 (CD) or $10 (DVD)? Someone ran off with the DVD for the copy of Star Trek: Insurrection that I personally brought in to sell.
Old 01-14-09, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
When I started working at my family's consignment shop, one of the first things I did was bring in a CD binder of mine. I put a sticker on each and every pocket, and numbered them 1 through whatever the last pocket number was. 192 or something, maybe? Anyway, when we put out CD's, DVD's or disc-sized video games, I would find an empty pocket, put the disc in it, and then write down on the ticket for the item in which pocket number its disc could be found. Then, the cases were all in plain sight and could be handled by our shoppers; they could see the price and everything but the discs themselves (which we gladly showed anyone who wanted to see them before paying).
This is how all the used places around here do it, but they move so much stock they have large filing cabinets with the numbered sleeves and whatnot.

What sparked this measure with used CD's and DVD's, that were rarely priced above $8 (CD) or $10 (DVD)? Someone ran off with the DVD for the copy of Star Trek: Insurrection that I personally brought in to sell.
Even if you didn't catch them, I think they received their punishment when they went to watch it...

Old 01-14-09, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool
I personally have no stores near me that have a locked cabinet for dvd's, so this isnt an issue for me.
I live in Los Angeles. There are many bad areas in the city. Here is a rundown on stores and what they do:

Target - Spider cables on the big DVD sets and clear plastic security boxes on high value/popular DVD sets.

Kmart - DVDs locked up in a showcase.

Walmart - Selected DVDs in clear plastic security boxes.

BestBuy - Went with a friend last week and my friend bought a dvd. This particular Bestbuy now stops everyone as you are leaving the store and stamps your receipt. He asked why is this being done. The Bestbuy employee said it prevents someone coming back into the store and grabbing the item off the shelf again and then use the original receipt to walk out of the store with the 2nd item for free.

Fry's - They mark the receipt as you leave the store. (for the same reason as the above Bestbuy.)

Supermarket chain - I know a major supermarket chain here in Los Angeles that puts the sensor tags in high priced cuts of meat at bottom of the foam tray . (New York steaks, etc). People will come into the supermarket with a big purse or a baby stroller and tuck the meat packages under the baby/blanket and just stroll out of the store. Now at least they will beep as they leave...

I think there is a trade off, the store may lose some sales, but they will still have their merchandise, otherwise the store looses the merchandise to theft and they got zero revenue.

Last edited by DeepSleep; 01-14-09 at 07:15 PM.
Old 01-15-09, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What kind of scumbag buys DVDs not in the case?
Old 01-15-09, 08:17 AM

I went to Blockbuster to pick up Hellboy II on Blu ray and the gal working there could not get the key to work so they couldn't open the case. I had to go to another blockbuster to make my purchase. What a pain in the ass?
Old 01-15-09, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Lastdaysofrain
What kind of scumbag buys DVDs not in the case?
These guys do that all the time, Omar, Tony, and Willie - those dirty scumbags!

Old 01-15-09, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

....Or in the case of the Media Section, all of the DVD's that were not cased or locked up, they just cut the plastic and took all of the discs out. Discs don't set off the alarms outside of the packaging and not everyone needs packaging
Who in the world wouldn't want the packaging???
Old 01-15-09, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gunde
I've always wondered how thieves does this. Do they bang the case first to get the discs loose? Otherwise I see no way of getting them out simply be slicing the package open in the side.
A device like this will cut through the shrink wrap and three security stickers in about two seconds.

Old 01-15-09, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k

Seriously? I know plenty of folks that actually pay for their DVDs and videogames new from the store, everything legit and all that, but they'll leave the discs in piles on the shelf and everywhere. So, I imagine there's folks like that, or the kind that will put them in a big binder.
Old 01-15-09, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
See that, I can understand. The floors are always littered with people reading comic books on the floor. Who the heck is going to buy (at full price, no less) a copy that's been read over and over?
But who is going to buy something they can't sample? I want to flip through the pages, look at the art, etc.
Old 01-15-09, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by toddly6666
These guys do that all the time, Omar, Tony, and Willie - those dirty scumbags!

Why do you say that? Because their skin appears brown?
Old 01-15-09, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

I'm not taking up for Borders because if the one here locked up DVD's then I wouldn't bother either, but for those complaining about having to get someone to unlock the case just so you can check the price: does your Borders not have the computers all over the store where customers can look up info/prices?
Old 01-15-09, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k

I think the obvious point some of us were making to the OP were that people steal. It sounds silly but a corporate/retail store is going to put their monthly/yearly shrink totals above most else.
Old 01-15-09, 04:19 PM

I think the obvious point some of us were making to the OP were that people steal. It sounds silly but a corporate/retail store is going to put their monthly/yearly shrink totals above most else.
I was just browsing at a few on-line sites that have individual sellers hawking newer/popular dvd titles with "without case/artwork" or "DVD shipped in a paper sleeve" kind of listing.

I guess it is the new "bad economy business model". Steal the discs only from a retailer that just leaves the merchandise out on the shelf without the plastic security boxes or spider cable wrap. Offer the discs on-line and ship in a paper sleeve. Seems like a high profit margin $$ operation. No wonder retailers are trying to slow down the theft of dvds.
Old 01-15-09, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by BlueCC
You couldn't find a sales associate at Walmart? That is very unusual.
I tried to buy an ink cartridge that was locked up once. The only person around was the woman at photo counter. She call on the store loudspeaker for someone several times and no one ever came back. I waited about 15-20 minutes since she kept apoligizing and was cute. I finally left though and bought the PC at Target down the street

Then there was the time they started locking up razor cartridges up by the check-out counter. I figure go to the register where the RC are locked up and this person will have the key......NO! They kept calling for the manager/whatever to come to the front. After about 10 minutes she appears. She has a key chain with lots of keys and it takes her like 5 minutes to open it up.
Old 01-15-09, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Maybe if we cut off the hands of the thieves caught stealing that causes the practice?....Just saying.
Old 01-15-09, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RM811
I went to Blockbuster to pick up Hellboy II on Blu ray and the gal working there could not get the key to work so they couldn't open the case. I had to go to another blockbuster to make my purchase. What a pain in the ass?
I'm sure Blockbuster appreciates your business -- no matter what location you choose.
Old 01-16-09, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the best way to go about it is to have the large clear security shells over the case. You can't get the disc out, but you can still handle the case to look at it, and see the price. The lock and key is really a pain.
Old 01-16-09, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Originally Posted by SethDLH
I think the best way to go about it is to have the large clear security shells over the case. You can't get the disc out, but you can still handle the case to look at it, and see the price. The lock and key is really a pain.
Then you need people to continually put new stock into the plastic cases, though... and then you can't scan them anyway. And they'll take up a lot more shelf space.

Personally, I kinda liked the old Toys R Us method of tickets with a wall of laminated sheets, showing the front and back covers of each game (though I'm sure updating that and keeping them in alphabetical order was also a pain).
Old 01-20-09, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Then you need people to continually put new stock into the plastic cases, though... and then you can't scan them anyway. And they'll take up a lot more shelf space.
Yup. Also would like to add that many stores are using different kinds of security cases/protection because of the various sizes of DVD's nowadays. Many are very pricey, including stores that have Blu-Ray security cases as the Blu-Ray cases are thinner than your normal DVD cases (obviously).

Also from personal experience, it's a pain in the ass to un-sticker and sticker Sale prices on DVD's with security cases on. Trust me it's something employees don't really want to do but obviously we can't control how often people decide to steal.
Old 01-21-09, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I use to shop at a Walmart in the Oakland/San Leandro, CA area, and knew the manager of their electronics department. After an audit (back in 2005), they discovered they had shrink, mainly of dvd's and cd's, totaling $150,000! After that audit, they installed locking cases for their electronic media.

The manager also told me of a particular incident whereby one thief took a baby seat out of the box, filled it with dvd's and then went to pay for the baby seat. They were caught (I believe), but it is no surprise that stores like Walmart uses locking cases nowadays.
Old 01-21-09, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by ernestrp
I tried to buy an ink cartridge that was locked up once. The only person around was the woman at photo counter. She call on the store loudspeaker for someone several times and no one ever came back. I waited about 15-20 minutes since she kept apoligizing and was cute. I finally left though and bought the PC at Target down the street
So, because they didnt unlock the cabinet that ink cartridges were in fast enough, you bought an new computer at a different retailer?

You must really hate waiting.
Old 01-21-09, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
This is how all the used places around here do it, but they move so much stock they have large filing cabinets with the numbered sleeves and whatnot.
Several of the used media businesses I frequent have done that for years, as well. It's actually where I got the idea. We rarely had enough discs to even fill half the binder, and most of the time they were mine anyway.

Even if you didn't catch them, I think they received their punishment when they went to watch it...

You know, this is what makes the whole thing bizarre for me. I would never have suspected a Trekkie of thievery. It just seems antithetical to the whole storytelling point of the franchise.
Old 01-23-09, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase
It's also pretty annoying when you consider that they spine most of the titles, so you can't even check a price without finding an associate with a key.
I know of one store that puts the price stickers on the spine. Would it kill all stores to do this?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.